ATC AT *majors only* Completed Deck Discussion and Viewing

blackroseivy

AS promised, here are the cards' images!

Ok, I'm posting them so that you can see them better. 1 person definitely wants another card printed; I'm going to re-scan them, I have figured it out, not difficult but didn't see it right away. If anyone else wants better-res cards, just pm! :)

Attachments

• atclovers.jpg
    atclovers.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Save.jpg
    Save.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 102

Bat Chicken

More thoughts - although not as well organized as some! :D

The Devil - I really like this card - Someone else suggested he has that smooth and sexy thing happening - I agree! I am thinking Yul Brynner? He has that evil 'edge' and the glow of colors that MiShell mentioned on another thread represent our 'monsters' of guilt and other negative emotions... This is a clever card - and if I had any time, which I don't at the moment - I would take Eraserqueen up on that ATC exchange!:)

The World - I love the hiker standing in view of the planet - it is like a pause on journey where one objective is completed and another is about to begin.

Justice. I love the concept and agree with the others about the homage! Great metaphor and I love the execution of it!

Star - This is just such an elegant piece... I went and looked a pictures of the deck I apparently missed out on. I love the style and the way the symbols are presented. Love it....

Temperance - there is cleverness in the simplicity of this card. It is balanced and has a wonderful flow from one symbol to another. I love the use of the rainbow. Both of jackdaw*'s cards have this same approach. I really think they are well done...

Again the Emperor - simple and yet rich in the story it can tell.

Did I comment on the Hierophant? This is a really neat card - I am not usually one for collage cards - but this one forces me to open my mind. I love the symbols and the tone of both atmosphere and the restricted color. I really enjoy looking at this one!

Empress - She's fantastic - I love the energy. Waiting does not alwys need to be so passive. Neat style, great card!

Chariot - This is a refreshing take on the is card - I love the distinct artistic style and the energy. This is the work of an artist!

Strength - This is another stunning design. It is elegant and the symbols are beautiful as well as meaningful. This one I might have asked for in B/W if I had a choice. I agree with OnePotato on the classic illustration style.

The Wheel - I dream about snakes! This one has me looking deeper - trying to figure it out!

Hermit - I love that lightning bug! This is a wonderful take on this card. There is a playfulness and warmth not often portrayed.

Lovers - Again there are decorative elements that come through very strongly on this one as they do on the Sun. The more I sit with these two, the more comes out of them. The symbols and the placement of the figures is thoughtful and I get the feeling that these would have a lot of texture in the originals. I have seen blackroseivy's other work - it is rich and meaningful - another artist!

This is an amazing effort.... every time I go over these cards, there is something new to be seen. They will hold a cherished place in my collection.

euripides

OnePotato said:
XX - Judgement - Euripides
Absolutely beautiful, with a tremendous amount of thought behind it. I can almost hear that plaintive wail of the trumpet in the cold night air. You're obviously a master painter. How big is the original?

Thanks for the kind words, OnePotato. I did go to art school, though my drawing and watercolour skills are mostly self-taught.

The original is about 4 by 6 inches I think, maybe a little larger, I hope that isn't cheating! I figured it was the end result that mattered, ie the digital card, and how I got there wasn't important. Generally I don't think there are rules about art: the only thing that matters is the idea and the final product (so go ahead and use an eraser, trace, photo-montage and photoshop... . That's a separate issue of course from your experience of the process as an artist.

I've only just discovered ATCs... I'm going to experiment with the format and make some ATC sized originals so that I can trade the original art.

Bat Chicken

Mine was 5x7 in the original... ;)

OnePotato

euripides said:
Thanks for the kind words, OnePotato. I did go to art school, though my drawing and watercolour skills are mostly self-taught.

The original is about 4 by 6 inches I think, maybe a little larger, I hope that isn't cheating! I figured it was the end result that mattered, ie the digital card, and how I got there wasn't important. Generally I don't think there are rules about art: the only thing that matters is the idea and the final product (so go ahead and use an eraser, trace, photo-montage and photoshop... . That's a separate issue of course from your experience of the process as an artist.

Hello euripides.

It took me about a year to get over and forget what I "learned" in Freshman Painting.

I gather that there are certain preferences in the atc world, but like you said, I figured the final result was what mattered most. Your painting looks like it held up much better than mine in reduction.

I did my star at 5x7, against my better judgement. (A very good printer once told me one should always try to reproduce fine art as close to same-size as possible.) But I wanted to see if the 50% reduction would benefit the appearance of detail. Unfortunately, it did not. Most of the subtlety and paper surface went out of it, in spite of a ridiculous effort to hold as much as possible in the printing. It's a pretty accurate copy, but at half size it just looks too mechanical. I did the title card at 1:1, and I'm actually happier with how that looks.

I also took the opportunity to "go borderless" on this one, since it was a one-off. Now that I've seen it, I probably won't do it again. I miss the nice wet edge of the image. But that's just me.

OnePotato

Bat Chicken said:
Mine was 5x7 in the original... ;)

Hello Bat Chicken.

It looks like your painting held up very well in reduction. I guess the canvas texture is coarse enough so that it's still nice and visible at 50%. As I said above, I'm sorry to have lost so much of the paper quality in my star. Next time I will stay closer to same-size.

Bat Chicken

OnePotato said:
It looks like your painting held up very well in reduction. I guess the canvas texture is coarse enough so that it's still nice and visible at 50%. As I said above, I'm sorry to have lost so much of the paper quality in my star. Next time I will stay closer to same-size.
Thank you, yes, it did. But I also photographed it with a bit of 'side' light. ;) It picks up the texture by not using balanced multi-directional lighting.... I avoid scanning.... too much colour correction required on my cheap little beast!:laugh: