Rider Waite Reversed

Poppy

Hello

This is the first time that I have posted on here. I think this is the best forum for Tarot and have been reading my cards for three years now.

My question is this: I have read somewhere (and it might be on here) that the Rider-Waite deck should only be read upright. I have been doing it with the reversed cards for three years but not reversing them makes sense to me.

What do you think?

Thanks

Poppy

gregory

I think that - I don't read reversals anyway - but if you want to - go for it, and if you don't want to, don't.

Do your own thing about them; there is no "right" way. (I don't think I even ever read THAT one before.)

Poppy

Thanks Gregory.

I think I will just do uprights from now on. It seems to make more sense.

Tiddles

The whole reversal thing can get tedious for sure. Definitely different camps on that. Waite did provide meanings for reversals though, at least for the minor arcana.

Amanda

My RWS deck is the one I started reading reversals with and pretty much the only one I read reversals with now. It stays mixed up with reversals in the box. I had an older copy of the Gilded tarot that I used reversals with, but it was well-used and I ended up giving it away. All the other decks I own stay upright all the time unless I'm feeling like I want to read reversals with them (which is rare these days).

gregory

If Waite provided the meanings (I thought so but wasn't 100% sure; thanks Tiddles) then how can it POSSIBLY not be OK. I still don't reverse, though !

Richard

......I have read somewhere (and it might be on here) that the Rider-Waite deck should only be read upright.......
Horsefeathers! The amount of incorrect information one sees on the internet is astounding. Personally, I do not use reversals, but that's neither here nor there. The way you should read them is totally up to you and no one else.

vee

You will see every possible opinion ever on reversals on the Internet and in books. Do read them, don't read them, read them but they're training wheels, read them but they're very advanced, don't read them because they're hard, don't read them because it will let demons loose, blah blah blah.

Unless your method of reading reversals involves human sacrifice, just do what seems right to you. :)

Stam123

I agree do whats best for you find you own journey. I read with reversals on the rider-waite and dont with other decks, like with everything what will be right for one may not be right for another. This can span from every aspect of the tarot from every perspective, alot of things contradict that you may read online or in books from even seasons in decks for example 1 person may say cups is summer + the other will argue its winter etc.
follow your own path would be my advise Keep what sticks with you and feels right and sieve through and drop what doesn't. best of luck either way x