Pixie?

Masa

Where did this nickname come from?

I just told a friend that that's what tarot enthusiasts call Pamela Colman Smith, and his reaction surprised me. He said he thought it was patronizing, like it made her a "cutesy mascot" and didn't take her seriously as a real person.

I can see where he's coming from, but I have more experience with you guys, and I just don't think that's what's going on. I've never heard anyone talk about her like some nonentity with a funny nickname. On the other hand, maybe some of you know better than I do.

So where did the name Pixie originate? I assume it's just a phonetic pronunciation of PCS (+ie), but is it from her own life, or ours? Is it just a way of cute-ifying her, and making her part of our little fanclub? Does anyone else feel it's infantilizing?

Richard

She was called Pixie by her friends. There is more information here, including an autographed photo, signed Pixie/Pamela.

tarotbear

I think 'Pixie' is kind of appropos, given the time and place she grew up in. I don;t have any problem with it. Roosevelt Greer was always called 'Rosie!'

vee

I like Pixie. I have no idea of the history behind it, but far from seeming infantilizing, it just makes her seem cool and like she didn't have a big stick up her butt. :laugh:

Little Hare

I really don't see how its patronising. My nickname is pixi given to me from birth and its because everyone thought I had a fey look about me. Nicknames add an extra depth to a person in my humble opinion. They are part of the roadmap we call life.

Laura Borealis

It was her actress friend Ellen Terry that gave her the nickname, and apparently it stuck. :)

vee

I really don't see how its patronising. My nickname is pixi given to me from birth and its because everyone thought I had a fey look about me. Nicknames add an extra depth to a person in my humble opinion. They are part of the roadmap we call life.

I mostly agree with this, but my name is Rachael and call me Rachie, you'll get a glare of death. Some nicknames are super cutesy and only used for little kids, and extending them past that time period can be patronizing, especially if the person doesn't want it. But Pixie, not only something she apparently embraced, also has meaning beyond that, like you said!

Little Hare

I mostly agree with this, but my name is Rachael and call me Rachie, you'll get a glare of death. Some nicknames are super cutesy and only used for little kids, and extending them past that time period can be patronizing, especially if the person doesn't want it. But Pixie, not only something she apparently embraced, also has meaning beyond that, like you said!

Rachie?! yeah that oneis um interesting. I've never even heard rachel shortened and well aussies are known for shortening names ;) 'glare of death' I laughed my butt off at that

tarotbear

Childhood nicknames are usually dreadful things. I never answered to 'Johnny' and that is pretty standard for 'John.' I never answered to 'Jack', so don't bother trying that one on me. And I detested 'John Boy' and doubly-detested 'The Waltons'!

My cousin Ray (named after his father, Ray) was always called [pronounced] 'Raynie.' He's 57 years old and old relatives still call him 'Ranie.' Give the guy a break, please! He survived the World Trade Center collapse!

{PS - and it's "John" - with an "H", please! "Jon" is not the same name at all and is short for "Jonathan" - which is NOT my name, either! LOL!}

Laura Borealis

Yeah, I never liked being called Lori. That is not my name! But I don't think it's infantilizing (is that a word?) - I just don't like it.

Here's a thought - many of us call Aleister Crowley "Uncle Al" or even "Uncle Alice." Is that cutifying him? I think a case could be made for it, yes.