What edition do I have?

rwcarter

Bhvana, the last page of my 7th printing LWB looks like yours. I quickly counted 30 items, but it may have only been 29. (I'm too lazy right now to go and check. :grin:)

Yineth

Deck 1 is definitely pre 1975, if you go by when copyrites were added. that may be the only thing you can be sure of. Did you post a photo of the last page in the LWB?
It shows very few decks compared to my 11th printing - possibly the decks on mine were not released or in existance yet, possibly adding to the thought that yours is a very early edition?
Here is a pic of the last page in my 11th printing:

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z399/tealia89/?action=view&current=2012-05-29_19-19-59_36.jpg - Last page of the mystery deck's LWB

It doesn't really list off any particular decks, but Tarot-related products. Tarot napkins? Do they mean Tarot cloths instead? .__.

Edit: I Google'd 'Tarot Napkins' and the first thing that showed up was this thread. Lol!
Edit 2: The LWB does mention 1JJ Swiss and the instructional book.

gregory

Well, I’m glad I went for this etsy deck. No-one will be getting it off me.

It is a very strange deck. It isn’t a reprint of any I have seen before (unless I am totally brain dead). And fascinatingly – I think I may recognise the name of the store which originally sold it – and which has some connection with the tarot course offered on an extra card – The Taro Text, $26 from the Third Eye Mail Order Co, based in Langley, BC. The store was Yoga Vedanta, in Vancouver. This has the same address as that listed on the accompanying brief instruction sheet for the International Taro Association….

And many years ago when I was in Vancouver, I bought a few decks- Grand Tarot Belline and Arista) from a store listed in my database (those were the days,,, I didn’t record the details back then !) as “weird store in Vancouver.” Perhaps someone in BC can help here.

The cards seem to be basically black and white photocopies, with pink sort of added as background to the images but not the borders. The added text on the cards is very small, and oddly capitalised. I haven’t a University Books one here, but the words don’t feel right. On some cards the pink has developed a weird criss-cross patterning – presumably a print error; this happens particularly where the pink is over grey areas. I have photographed two for your edification and hope it shows up on at least one of them.

I have incidentally also discovered – while comparing cards – that some of the cards on my pocket USG Waite are foreshortened – particularly the 3 of Pents, Sun and Wheel – is this a Known Thing that I’ve missed for all these years ? It’s almost like their Albano thing.

My gut feeling is that the copies were made from a book with black and white illustrations, and I can’t imagine how the pink was added. Some of the detail is also a bit rough. It’s a bit like a de Laurence, in a way.

ETA I take that back. No b/w book illustrations I can think of are anything but b/w, and this has definite grey areas... Stranger and stranger.

DATE - it predates Canadian postal codes; the address is Vancouver 2... Now when was THAT.... ah yes - 1971-75. So it is quite old :)

The (brief) instructions start out with something startling to ME anyway :

It is first necessary to understand the power of the number 9.

I like this deck. :D

ETA a Vancouver bookstore shows up by that name - but at a different address.

Is TCO around ?

Attachments

• Hanged Man.jpg
    Hanged Man.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 8 Swords.jpg
    8 Swords.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 116

Debra

Where's Roppo? Have you asked Roppo?

roppo

I'm summoned and at your service, master (oh, mistress?)

Judging from the photos the RWS seems a sort of photocopy of University Books RWS or Merrimack RWS, perhaps the latter. They cut the upper part of the card slightly to make a space for key words (look at the XII of the Hanged Man) and redraw the thick border lines. And the PCS monogram on the 8 of the Swords is just lost in the dark area, which is the characteristics of Univ.Books and Merrimack (you can recognize the monogram on the UB by using a magnifier, but not on the Merri).

Gregory, are there the whilte rock on the 2 of Swords?

gregory

2 swords attached for your edification. (mistress, please... :D We are a grandmother... :D)

I certainly cannot make out the signature on the 8 swords, not with a magnifying glass or anything else ! But the Hanged Man seems to be the only one where the image seems to have been cut down... and as I said - they seem rather BETTER proportioned - all the circles are CIRCULAR ! than my pocket USG which is the only one I have with me, and where the circles are slightly squashed, which I never ever noticed before !

Any other cards I can photograph for you (in the morning; I am logging off soon !)

Attachments

• 2 swords.jpg
    2 swords.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 97

Bhavana

hmmm...looks more interesting than it did in the Etsy listing. Glad to hear you are somewhat pleased with it!

roppo

Thank you very much Gregory! There's the white rock in the 2 of Swords that is a proof your unknown RWS is a member of the Univ-Books-RWS family. I believe you have a naming right to this deck. Name the deck as you please and I'll follow it.

* To friends who have no idea what I'm talking about : take a look at 2of Swords of the standard RWS and compare it with the 2 of Swords of Univ.RWS. The left rock is different, from unknown reason. Okay, I'll make an illustration for this.

here goes:

http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/whiterock.jpg

For friends who cannot see the above I'll attach the same below.

Attachments

• whiterock.jpg
    whiterock.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 96

ladybird

Deck 1 is definitely pre 1975, if you go by when copyrites were added. that may be the only thing you can be sure of. Did you post a photo of the last page in the LWB?
It shows very few decks compared to my 11th printing - possibly the decks on mine were not released or in existance yet, possibly adding to the thought that yours is a very early edition?
Here is a pic of the last page in my 11th printing:

I started researching the products on the back page of my 8th printing (my LWB says 10 9 8) against your picture of the 11th to get a better idea of the years. I found a couple clues.

The first clue was on my LWB's back page: JB007 James Bond Tarot Game which I found uses the Tarot of the Witches deck. This set was most likely released when the movie Live and Let Die was released in 1973. So that most likely puts my 8th printing in 1973 maybe 1974.

The next clue was on your 11th printing LWB. The AQ78 Aquarian Tarot Deck. I found some information in a google search that shows that it was first released by Morgan Press in 1970 and then released by US Games in 1975. So it seems that your LWB is 1975.

ladybird

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z399/tealia89/?action=view&current=2012-05-29_19-19-59_36.jpg - Last page of the mystery deck's LWB

It doesn't really list off any particular decks, but Tarot-related products. Tarot napkins? Do they mean Tarot cloths instead? .__.

Edit: I Google'd 'Tarot Napkins' and the first thing that showed up was this thread. Lol!
Edit 2: The LWB does mention 1JJ Swiss and the instructional book.

So interesting! My 8th printing has Tarot Blocks and Tarot Posters but no napkins. My LWB product page has 30 items on it.

ETA: I tried googling items from your LWB's product page to see if I could find some sort of clue on date release of any of the products but didn't find anything. I'm sure you tried that too. :)