Rider Waite cardstock and chinese print questions

olivia1

Can a mod please change the title to this thread? I meant to type in "card" not "long." I am using a smartphone and my stupid phone autocorrected what i wrote. Also, I know there is an RWS section on the forum but since I not asking about the history of the RWS or the symbolism, I figured that I was supposed to post under Tarot Decks? So sorry of I posted in the wrong section.

First I want to say that I am using a phone so sorry for the typos...

I have a question for those who use the rws often and for a long extended period of time? Which edition do you own, how long have you been working with the deck? Did your deck become sticky after excessive long term use? Because mine is! Of course, I also bless mine with special oils ( all saints oil and lavender) so that could be my fault. Does anyone have any idea how I could make my cards less sticky? I know, stop putting stuff on it so I do not make it worse...but I meant to remove the sticky coating already on it?

And

And this is more of a side question..does anyone own a copy of the Chinese printing? If so, how does it compare to the swiss printing? I heard its supposed to be less glossy than the Italian printing but is it more glossy than the Swiss print? What does the font look like? And are the colors and lines as sharp as the images on the Italian one? I like the Italian printing. It looks so high definition compared to my Swiss one. But I think I might want to own the Chinese printing version too if its a happy medium between the swiss and Italian printings.

olivia1

Oh and here are pictures of my swiss deck ( on the right) and the Italian one. I know that the term "worn out" is subjective so I figured I would provide a picture to give everyone a clearer idea of what I am talking about...
Edited:.I am so sorry if the pictures are too big or whatever. Please understand that I am using a phone and I don't know how to resize the image or even how the images look on a desktop...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342983855951.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342983855951.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 451
  • uploadfromtaptalk1342983877505.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342983877505.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 440

Bhavana

There should be a long detailed thread on this somewhere --- I can't help you with the stickiness, but if it is a glossy or well laminated deck, you could wring any excess moisture out of a Huggies Baby Wipe and gently wipe down each card, leaving them to dry before placing back into a pile.

As for the decks, here is a quick breakdown:
(assuming we are talking about the yellow box RW)
most recently printed in Italy. Regular roman type font titles, very glossy cards.

At some point in past was printed in China, but not sure when - much more matte and stiff cardstock, old Pixie type for the titles. I'd love to find one of these. I think the deck was also printed in Belgium, but not sure when or where - also, there is another version - The Original Rider Waite.

'70's, 80's, 90's, printed in Switzerland. However, even though all were printed there, not all decks are the same. The finish is similar, more matte, with a slightly waxy texture - hard to explain...not slick, but not really dull either. I have a deck from sometime between 1971 and 1974, and it has the most beautiful cardstock - not too thin, like some of the later Switzerland printings. I have another that is just a few years older, and though the finish is nice, the cards are very very thin.

I find the latest, Italian super glossy version to be the most offensive. My favorite is my above mentioned early 70's deck.

If you search the RW forum, you will see a lot of posts explaining the differences between all the RW decks.

olivia1

There should be a long detailed thread on this somewhere --- I can't help you with the stickiness, but if it is a glossy or well laminated deck, you could wring any excess moisture out of a Huggies Baby Wipe and gently wipe down each card, leaving them to dry before placing back into a pile.
My deck with the stickiness is a matte version. My glossy version is fine.

At some point in past was printed in China, but not sure when - much more matte and stiff cardstock, old Pixie type for the titles. I'd love to find one of these.

Me too. I was hoping someone on here would have a copy of the Chinese printing. I *believe* it was not that long ago that the the Chinese printing version was released because there was discussion on the forum about it. I thought I read that USG was leaving their Italian printer and having their new RWS printed in China but I am not sure how accurate that is?

'70's, 80's, 90's, printed in Switzerland. However, even though all were printed there, not all decks are the same. The finish is similar, more matte, with a slightly waxy texture - hard to explain...not slick, but not really dull either. I have a deck from sometime between 1971 and 1974, and it has the most beautiful cardstock - not too thin, like some of the later Switzerland printings. I have another that is just a few years older, and though the finish is nice, the cards are very very thin.
I thought the only difference in the swiss printing were that some had the trademark and some did not? Anyway, you taught me something new. My main reading deck, the older worn out one is a Swiss printing. Isbn 0-913866-13-x. I guess that is important to note if there are different Swiss versions :)

I am not really interested in the different Swiss versions. Though it would be interesting to know which printing mine is..but I am more interested in knowing how the Chinese version compares to the Swiss and Italian printing versions that I have

I find the latest, Italian super glossy version to be the most offensive. My favorite is my above mentioned early 70's deck.

That's the one I have. Well one of the ones that I have. I own a glossy one and a Matte one.
If you search the RW forum, you will see a lot of posts explaining the differences between all the RW decks.

I did but I did not find anything that answered my particulate questions.
Thanks.

Sorry for typos. Using a phone

Bhavana

My deck with the stickiness is a matte version. My glossy version is fine.

Me too. I was hoping someone on here would have a copy of the Chinese printing. I *believe* it was not that long ago that the the Chinese printing version was released because there was discussion on the forum about it. I thought I read that USG was leaving their Italian printer and having their new RWS printed in China but I am not sure how accurate that is?

I thought the only difference in the swiss printing were that some had the trademark and some did not? Anyway, you taught me something new. My main reading deck, the older worn out one is a Swiss printing. Isbn 0-913866-13-x. I guess that is important to note if there are different Swiss versions :)

I am not really interested in the different Swiss versions. Though it would be interesting to know which printing mine is..but I am more interested in knowing how the Chinese version compares to the Swiss and Italian printing versions that I have

That's the one I have. Well one of the ones that I have. I own a glossy one and a Matte one.

I did but I did not find anything that answered my particulate questions.
Thanks.

Sorry for typos. Using a phone

You may still be able to carefully clean a matte finish deck with a damp babywipe. As long as it has some lamination, and you don't get it too wet ....be careful, though.

I believe USG stopped printing the Morgan Greer in Italy and is now printing in China, so maybe that will also happen with the RW. As for the Switzerland printings, they are different. The copyrites went on the cards around 1975 - I have one from before and one from after, but I don't know when the cardstock changed from the gorgeous stock they used pre-75. All I know is that my Swiss printed RW from around the 1980's is very thin! You'd have to ask someone who has more of them than I do about some of the other Switzerland decks. In the LWB, on the inner cover, towards the bottom, you will see a line of numbers. The last number, on the far right, is the printing number of the LWB, which may be the same or close to the printing of the deck. I have a 10 and I think a 33. The 10 is pre-75, that is the one with my favorite cardstock - and I think that it is most similar, but not exactly like, the current China cardstock. So are the printed in Belgium decks.

I think that the Original Rider Waite was printed in Belgium and China before they started printing in Italy. That is the blue box deck with the original muted colors. Also, if you can find it, the RW set with the Idiots Guide to the Tarot book is still floating around with a China printed deck included. There was one at my Barnes n Noble for the longest time....but someone finally bought it. If you see them, read the box - if it says the deck was printed in China, you found one!! And, there are some Pocket RWS that are still around that were printed in China. I have one of those.

Hope this was somewhat helpful ! I am no expert, but I like USgames decks, and prefer the matte finish heavier cardstock versions, so have sort of looked into this a few times.

Bhavana

oh - I forgot to add - if you really want a nice RW deck, get the Pamela Coleman Smith Centennial set. The colors are more muted and toned down than the regular RW, and it has a sort of aged look - but it's a gorgeous deck, and very nice cardstock. The whole kit is nice.

olivia1

Bhavana,
You are so super helpful!! I will add more later.I am using a phone so its so hard to type out a proper response. But you taught me a lot. I wish I had my rws lwb for my swiss deck but I don't even remember where I put it. Or if it even came with one when I bought it. I do know that the carstock for my Swiss print deck feels almost just like the cardstock for my Robin Wood. except my Swiss Rws is thicker. I will look into the Centennial special edition. the Centennial sounds like it would be nice to have. I heard in addition to being really pretty that it also comes with a book that looks interesting. Thank you!

Bhavana

The Centennial comes in a beautiful "hinged" box, it has 2 books - one being the Pictorial Key to the Tarot, the other a book on PCS - about her art, lots of great pics of her work. Then there are several small prints and postcards of her work, about 10 pieces, suitable for framing. There is also a cheapie organza bag.
I know you are doing this thru your phone, but if you have access to a regular computer, here is a video showing the set - he goes thru the books at the beginning, and the deck later in the video. The deck is printed in China, it's non glossy, and it has the most beautiful finish and feel of any of the RW decks available new today. It was over $30 new, but you can find it now for in the $20 to $30 range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQDYY6urbA

olivia1

Thank you:) I will have computer access today since I am.having my home internet reinstalled today so will definitely watch it later. And thanks! I am going to read up more about the centennial edition you mention. Sounds like a must have. Thank you again you were really helpful

Bhavana

you are very welcome, Olivia - glad to be able to help. Definitely get the Centennial if you can, it's a must for any collector, not just because of the beautifully made deck and the classy box, but because of the history, the book on PCS, and the prints!

Since you have your home computer hooked up now, here is a thread on the deck, if you want to check it out and get more opinions:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=117969&highlight=pamela+colman+smith+centennial