Shameless 18th Birthday Request

Kittaine

(Note: I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this section. Moderators...)

As you all know, turning 18 for a girl is special. Blame it on tradition or *cough cough* the law, but it just is. :D I won't be having a party or going on vacation. The only thing I plan to do is to spoil myself and my friends with new tarot decks and books.

Now this is where the shameless part comes in... :D Do I even have to say it? Aw shucks, I won't be asking for this when I turn 19 or 20, or 21. Maybe I will when I reach the big 3-O. But that won't be happening for a long time. I just think gifted decks are special...and they become even more special when they're given on a girl's 18th birthday...Eh, that's my superstition. :D Hehehe...Okay, am done. :D

Little Baron

Maybe you should arrange a tarot get together for your birthday! Every friend has to buy you a tarot deck (let them each know which so you get no duplicates) and in return, in the future, you can give each friend a reading with the deck they bought. Now isn't that a nice idea.

Yaboot (and have a great 18th!)

Kittaine

Yaboot001 said:
Maybe you should arrange a tarot get together for your birthday! Every friend has to buy you a tarot deck (let them each know which so you get no duplicates) and in return, in the future, you can give each friend a reading with the deck they bought. Now isn't that a nice idea.

Yaboot (and have a great 18th!)

Oh, Yaboot, that's a great idea, except...do you know how hard it is to get a deck when you're in the Philippines? :( One deck costs AT LEAST one thousand pesos...And...you have to order them online...and...you have to have a credit card, which isn't very common among the youth of this country. And to top it all off, you gotta wait for a month to receive the deck. :(

Eco74

Well then...

How about arranging a tarot-gettogether and MAKE a tarotdeck with all your friends.

Get a blank deck, or just sturdy cards of a good size.
Write the name of each card on a little piece of paper, fold them all up and put them in a bowl.
Serve up pens, pencils, colord pencils, crayons, watercolors or whatever you like working with and each draw a card that you have to make in 15 minutes.

At the end of the night you will have a very personal deck that reflects not only your big welcome into adulthood but your friendships aswell.

Kittaine

Re: Well then...

Eco74 said:
How about arranging a tarot-gettogether and MAKE a tarotdeck with all your friends.

Get a blank deck, or just sturdy cards of a good size.
Write the name of each card on a little piece of paper, fold them all up and put them in a bowl.
Serve up pens, pencils, colord pencils, crayons, watercolors or whatever you like working with and each draw a card that you have to make in 15 minutes.

At the end of the night you will have a very personal deck that reflects not only your big welcome into adulthood but your friendships aswell.

Another good suggestion. But that can be a problem. I only have like, 6 friends who're into tarot. 3 of them haven't done a reading yet. One is an uber-beginner (and is also two hours of plane ride away), and the last one is too old and too busy with his work. o_O Ah well. If only... :(

Bosorka

So do it with ALL your friends, not just tarotist. Except of name of the card tell them the keyword, which they have to draw. This can make even better deck than tarotist would make, for people who don´t know about tarot won´t stick to common images. (I did such a word game with roommates who have no idea of meanings of cards, and you won´t believe how acurate they sometimes was!)

Also, by that you would know your friends better and maybe you would better understand your "regular" cards.

Eco74

Ah, but then...

..do you think you could suggest a project with these friends?

If nothing else it could be a wonderful way for them to learn and having an ongoing project with friends (pull one card each and take a week to produce a friendbased card starring all of you) can be an amazing thing.

Little Baron

Thats a lovely idea Eco.

Maybe we should all do a 15 minute card for you and email it!!!!!!

You can print them out; a very personal deck. I'm up for it if anybody else wants to join in. You could post up the cards and then fill us in on what card we want to do. I would love a deck like that. The cards wouldn't have to be the best art in the world; just a fifteen minute exercise to try and get as much into it as you feel necessary. It would sure be a wonderful present from your mates at aeclectic and totally original; a present you would never forget or throw out. What do you think guys? Fifteen minutes of your time - how long until your birthday? My computers playing up at the moment and need to get it sorted before I start.

Yaboot

Little Baron

Having said that, if enough people want to spend that small amount of time to do the exercise, once we have all asigned ourself a card, we can post them to each other so we all have the same deck; a nice little pack for reflection and something personal to just our community on the board. I know that there are already Aeclectic decks but this one would obviously be less involved and the quickness of design and make would make it fresh; just a mini 'one off' project. I, for one, would love to have a deck like that. What do you think?

Y

Maybe this thread can be retitled and posted in the 'creation' forum

Eco74

I have no scanner...

But it was my idea to begin with so how can I have anything but glee for it?

Personally I would love it.
(Though there is the issue of the lack of scanner...)

One question is how the cards would be assigned and there is a certain risk of multiple copies of certain characters, which while a facinating thing in itself would rather take away the "spontinaety" of the deck since there would have to be a choice made on what card to use..