Dusserre Dodal - Tarot de Marseille

Major Tom

prudence said:
Well, as someone who most likely has no chance of ever owning a Dodal, what do you all recommend as a substitute? (the Vieville?)

I'd recommend a Heron Conver. ;)

Moonbow

I don't think the Dodal can be substituted as it's unique in its own way, but I would certainly recommend the Vieville as an intriguing deck.

Perhaps consider the Nostradamus too, I know its crudely drawn and coloured but its a based on the Payan deck and as far as I know there isn't one of those available either. The piatnik is another worth considering, I actually love this deck it has many surprises and is well worth adding to a collection.

prudence

I like crudely drawn...:)

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I already have a Heron Conver...but like the style (sloppiness?) of the Dodal.

Thought I saw Piatnik at Alida not long ago, but haven't looked recently.

Hmm, is it too late to beg those who are bidding on this deck to please stop now? Let me have it...please??? :D

Papageno

prudence said:
Hmm, is it too late to beg those who are bidding on this deck to please stop now? Let me have it...please??? :D

:laugh: LOL well, Euripedes was right. you all should have ignored this guy and said nothing. too late now. but you have to admit he/she was very reasonable. it came out of the gate with a very low starting bid and there's no reserve.
but looking at where the bid stands now, if you're willing to spend that kind of money you could buy a beautiful Marseilles-style deck by Pierrick Pinot, Le Tarot de la Félicité. It's hand crafted (the card stock is unsurpassed), Majors only and generously proportioned like the Visconti-Sforza or the Giulio Romano (as it should be IMHO). it's a luxurious edition.
I swear the Félicité and the Argolance are amongst the first decks I'd grab in the blink of an eye if God forbid, there was a disaster.

euripides

I haven't bid. Well past my maximum already.

Yeah, my only chance of owning the Dodal is if I find one in some garage sale. Which I don't go to very often. Or win the lottery, which I never do.

Heron Conver it is, then!

le pendu

Papageno said:
you all should have ignored this guy and said nothing. too late now. but you have to admit he/she was very reasonable. it came out of the gate with a very low starting bid and there's no reserve.

I noticed that and thought it was great too. I don't in any way feel that, even with the knowledge from this forum that the deck could be popular, that kb2000 "took advantage" of the situation. Indeed, kb2000 let the value of the deck speak for itself.

THANKS kb2000! Very much appreciated.

le pendu

euripides said:
I haven't bid. Well past my maximum already.

Yeah, my only chance of owning the Dodal is if I find one in some garage sale. Which I don't go to very often. Or win the lottery, which I never do.

Heron Conver it is, then!

Yup, Heron Conver and Heron Vieville, both fantastic decks.

FWIW, in the most recent "Only ONE deck" thread.. I chose the Vieville. It's not a TdM, but it is as old as any existing TdM, certainly related to the TdM, full of mystery, and these days the one deck I would choose.

The Conver is beautiful.

le pendu

Papageno said:
if you're willing to spend that kind of money you could buy a beautiful Marseilles-style deck by Pierrick Pinot, Le Tarot de la Félicité. It's hand crafted (the card stock is unsurpassed), Majors only and generously proportioned like the Visconti-Sforza or the Giulio Romano (as it should be IMHO). it's a luxurious edition.
I swear the Félicité and the Argolance are amongst the first decks I'd grab in the blink of an eye if God forbid, there was a disaster.

I thought the Félicité was out of print too? The images I've seen of it are so incredibly lovely and powerful. I know jmd has this deck and speaks very highly of it.

I envy many of the decks in your collection Papageno!!! Great stuff.

http://argolance.free.fr/feliintro.htm

Edit..
Oh sigh.. I was just looking at the images again and drooling. I love how he incorporates Dodal, Vieville and Conver in this deck. The Chariot and Death look like Vieville, the Pope like Conver and Vieville.. etc.. wonderful.

Umbrae

The issue with so many 'reprints' (and I speaking here specifically about the Heron Conver), is that the cardstock is WHITE. And the image is photo-reproduced. So you have a nice old photo like image, with a WHITE border, and a GLOSSY GLOSSY finish.

The Dussere, out of the box, uses a cardstock color that matches the original image colors. Kinda yellowed. Lovely matte finish. Looks like it’s three hundred years old and yet the cardstock will last you a lifetime.

:smoker:

gregory

THAT'S it ! I never did figure out quite what it was. Thanks.