What was your first long distance reading like?

SonjaC

Hello all!

As a newbie I'm struggling with the idea of long distance reading. I have, thus far, only done in person readings for about the past 6 months and I still consider myself in practice mode. I know that I will get more opportunities if I open myself up to online readings, which is a big part of why I joined AT. I have to say that the discussions have been lovely so far and everyone is very welcoming! The main issue I have is the idea that the energy from the client would be so far away that I feel that there would be a disconnect. I'm keeping an open mind, obviously, and I won't knock it until I try it! I'm curious what it was like for others the first time that they read long distance, how it felt, the struggles they may have had, and if they have any rituals that help them feel like they have "made the connection" to help their intuition along. Thanks!

celticnoodle

Hello all!

As a newbie I'm struggling with the idea of long distance reading. I have, thus far, only done in person readings for about the past 6 months and I still consider myself in practice mode. I know that I will get more opportunities if I open myself up to online readings, which is a big part of why I joined AT. I have to say that the discussions have been lovely so far and everyone is very welcoming! The main issue I have is the idea that the energy from the client would be so far away that I feel that there would be a disconnect.

Not so much really--you'll be surprised. Especially as you will be (I imagine) in your OWN home, in an area that is comfortable and relaxing to you, so you'll be at ease once you also put your mind to ease with reading this way. You will pick up on their energy when you can put your mind to rest as soon as you are either talking on the phone with them, (if this is how you are doing the reading) OR if you are just laying out the cards and then typing up the reading to send to them over the computer--you'll learn to connect w/them.

I've done readings both ways, and most of them were via the computer only.

I'm keeping an open mind, obviously, and I won't knock it until I try it! I'm curious what it was like for others the first time that they read long distance, how it felt, the struggles they may have had, and if they have any rituals that help them feel like they have "made the connection" to help their intuition along. Thanks!

I was *sort of* use to it as I had practiced giving readings to family and friends long distance for a long time before I began to do it for strangers for money. Most of my readings done for payment were actually done via the computer. I set up a pay pal account and the *customer* would contact me via email or phone and I'd have them send me payment and their question via email. Then, I'd do the reading and send it off to them with in a day or two.

Worked great really. Especially as, since I gave myself a day or two to respond (given the fact that once upon a time I could have a few customers at the same time)--gave me time to really concentrate on the cards and see even more things then if I were reading for this same customer in a store and had only 30 minutes to do so.

My advice to you is to just jump right in and do the best you can do. Take a deep breath and relax and then go with it. You're sure to still make mistakes and you are also sure to learn a lot and you'll get better and feel better each time you have the chance to do a reading in this way.

good luck to you! I really enjoyed reading my customers in this way, though I will say, my business is currently at a low. Due partly to my not advertising in the newspapers or online anywhere, so if you decide this is how you really want to go and are hoping to do well--my advice is also to advertise your tarot reading in papers and on the websites.

Barleywine

I don't do them (or haven't up to now) because I insist on my querents physically handling the cards to put their own subconscious "imprint" on the sequence, rather than me shuffling and imparting my own. But when I get my blog up and running, I'm going to offer e-mail readings with the understanding that clients will pull their own cards (or draw them from a tarot app, I've finally decided that's "close enough"), send the sequential list with payment, and I will interpret the cards and return a write-up. This will probably limit my clientele to more knowledgeable tarot fans, but that's my favorite audience anyway and I wouldn't really be in it for the vast wealth I can make at it! :joke: I did experiment with this approach in a Reading Exchange thread here a while ago and it worked quite well.

celticnoodle

Barleywine, this is similar to how my own card reader, that I go to--does it. She does also do the face to face readings--which are always better, but she is also very good with the readings over the phone.

She reads playing cards, having the client remove the twos through fives and keep the sixes through Ace. If we are being read over the phone, (she doesn't do email readings), she will tell us how many cards to lay out and tell her what they are and then she lays them out in the same sequence and reads them to the client. She does this 3x for a present, past and future read and is very accurate whether over the phone or face to face.

Good luck to you too, Barleywine! I am also in the process of creating a blog with the hopes of bringing in more clients. Like you though, I realize I may never be able to make a full living off it and so hubby knows he can't retire yet from his job as a result. However, you never know! My above card reader that I go to has a HUGE business, and she does pretty darn well. (close to a hundred thous. a year---CASH)

DownUnderNZer

That is a good question? Especially as it has been years....

Most of my readings are with family and their friends face to face once a year and sometimes in between if most things have come to pass before the end of the one year mark.

The Lenormand would have been what I used for "long distance" first, "remote viewing", and even "Mediumship".....just "learning" then though.

It is not too different to face to face I reckon as energy is energy. The only difference is sometimes you only have a voice to go on rather than face and voice, also, if you cannot work without a name it might be harder especially as some readers like to use names/birth dates etc.

I do not have problems working with no names or dates...even a voice or face. Never thought about it being "long distant" either.

DND :)

Barleywine

Barleywine, this is similar to how my own card reader, that I go to--does it. She does also do the face to face readings--which are always better, but she is also very good with the readings over the phone.

She reads playing cards, having the client remove the twos through fives and keep the sixes through Ace. If we are being read over the phone, (she doesn't do email readings), she will tell us how many cards to lay out and tell her what they are and then she lays them out in the same sequence and reads them to the client. She does this 3x for a present, past and future read and is very accurate whether over the phone or face to face.

Good luck to you too, Barleywine! I am also in the process of creating a blog with the hopes of bringing in more clients. Like you though, I realize I may never be able to make a full living off it and so hubby knows he can't retire yet from his job as a result. However, you never know! My above card reader that I go to has a HUGE business, and she does pretty darn well. (close to a hundred thous. a year---CASH)

In Tarot Beyond the Basics, Anthony Louis describes his method for doing it over the phone or Skype. He reshuffles the cards for each pull and has the client tell him when to stop, then he takes the top card (IIRC) for each sequential spread position. But if I'm going to do it, I think I would want the luxury of having time to think over the cards and do a thoughtful write-up.

celticnoodle

The Lenormand would have been what I used for "long distance" first, "remote viewing", and even "Mediumship".....just "learning" then though.

It is not too different to face to face I reckon as energy is energy. The only difference is sometimes you only have a voice to go on rather than face and voice, also, if you cannot work without a name it might be harder especially as some readers like to use names/birth dates etc.

I do not have problems working with no names or dates...even a voice or face. Never thought about it being "long distant" either.

I've yet to offer Lenormand readings to clients, save a few whom I've gotten to know over the years and read for. I'm not sure when or if I'll add that to the mix. But, you bring up mediumship readings and remote viewings. I've done both of these and actually find it easier when its done "long distant". Mostly because I prefer to take my time with it, close my eyes and concentrate on my breath to bring spirits in. when I have the client sitting here with me, it gets a bit monotonous for them and their fidgeting disrupts me. So I much prefer doing the mediumship readings long distance.

As for the energy part of it--I think we can (or at least I can) pick up on the energy of the person I'm reading with a first name only and especially when I also hear their voice. I again much prefer that to face to face because often times face to face readings, the customer thinks I am doing a cold reading, but looking at their hands and how they are dressed, etc. I can also still get empathic feelings for the person I read even if they are only a name via email for me. So, apparently energy is energy is correct, and it can still be received even if there is a long distance between you.

In Tarot Beyond the Basics, Anthony Louis describes his method for doing it over the phone or Skype. He reshuffles the cards for each pull and has the client tell him when to stop, then he takes the top card (IIRC) for each sequential spread position. But if I'm going to do it, I think I would want the luxury of having time to think over the cards and do a thoughtful write-up.

Yes, I've been to readers like this as well. But, like you, I also want the luxury of having time to think over the cards and do a thoughtful and more thorough write up.

DownUnderNZer

Mediumship is something I do not choose to do so the ONLY readings I've ever done have ONLY ever been online.

I just realized that after I wrote what I did above actually.

I am sure if I got a connection with someone out and about on my travels I would pass on what had to be passed on, but to date that has never happened. Usually I am "switched off" so it has never been an issue on the most part. Now and then I get visitors, but on the most part it is for someone that is online anyhow.

I've yet to offer Lenormand readings to clients, save a few whom I've gotten to know over the years and read for. I'm not sure when or if I'll add that to the mix. But, you bring up mediumship readings and remote viewings. I've done both of these and actually find it easier when its done "long distant". Mostly because I prefer to take my time with it, close my eyes and concentrate on my breath to bring spirits in. when I have the client sitting here with me, it gets a bit monotonous for them and their fidgeting disrupts me. So I much prefer doing the mediumship readings long distance.

As for the energy part of it--I think we can (or at least I can) pick up on the energy of the person I'm reading with a first name only and especially when I also hear their voice. I again much prefer that to face to face because often times face to face readings, the customer thinks I am doing a cold reading, but looking at their hands and how they are dressed, etc. I can also still get empathic feelings for the person I read even if they are only a name via email for me. So, apparently energy is energy is correct, and it can still be received even if there is a long distance between you.

Yes, I've been to readers like this as well. But, like you, I also want the luxury of having time to think over the cards and do a thoughtful and more thorough write up.

Barleywine

My personal feeling is that a remote reading where the querent doesn't physically participate in the action at all is more akin to mediumship than having them in the same room and involved in the process. It seems more like psychism to me, unless we aren't talking about the same thing here. But then I consider tarot at its best to be an interactive art, a dialogue and not a monologue.

headincloud

TRUST is all you need, there's little difference between reading remotely and face to face. It's not mediumship however it's tarot, mediumship is when we bring a third party through in spirit so we're tapping into a higher frequency than we would to just gain psychic information as in tarot hence all mediums are psychics but not all psychics are mediums.