The Box sets...

HearthCricket

I was just curious what most of you do when you buy a boxed set of Tarot cards. Like the USG ones, for example. Do you keep the whole cardboard thing, or do you just take the box of cards and put the book somewhere separate, and toss the rest of the packaging? What about Llewellyn? Do you put the cards in the bag or that cheap box, or a box of your own, and toss the large packaging, or do you keep the whole thing? I have been keeping things fairly together with most, though stuffing them back in the packaging is a pain, and takes up extra room, not to mention making the deck and book just a tad less accessable (sp?). What do you do? Thanks!

September Pixie

it depends on how loved a deck is ;) for instance my Froud Faeries and Fey tarot all have brand new bags and their books reside on my bookshelf.. the Fairy Ring tarot is in its cardboard box tucked away in my storage collection.. :)

a_shikhs

Two days ago i cleared out my cupboard and threw all the tarot boxes. I was so frustrated with them as they were taking too much place in my drawer and creating a mess. Now ive started discarding the boxes as all my cards are in their personalised bags.. :) Ive put all the books in my book case which again is full now. Planning to make place in my room for one more book shelf.. :D

Alta

I take the cards and book out. I do keep the boxes, in the basement, in case I ever want to trade or sell the set.

Niti

I'm one of those people that likes to hoard things, "just in case", so I keep the box. I really have no idea where I might want to use the box one day, but it just makes me feel better to have them.

As for the Llewellyn boxed sets, I have only one - the Revelations Tarot Set. I thought the bag was rather cheap, and I would rather keep my cards in something nicer than a flimsy cardboard box, but I haven't had time to go out and buy anything else yet, so I'm using them temporarily. I decorated the box to make it feel a bit more personalized, but I will probably dispose of both the little box and the bag as soon as I am able to purchase some bags I like.

fyreflye

Since I have about 60 - 70 decks/sets and "use" no more than two, I keep most of them neatly boxed and stored in a closet but still easily accessible if I want to look them over again. Since I sometimes sell and trade tarots out of my closet collection I think it important to keep them complete and well cared for in case they should go to a new owner. It also helps retain their value. The two I use are in bags; but that's partly because one came unboxed and the other in a beat up 38 year-old box.

Lewen

I have a Tree of life box for my Morgan Greer deck, but I keep it in it's box within the box if that makes sense?

For my Universal Waite, I have it in a lovely little box that I got from the dollar store.

For The Robin wood, it's in a greenman box that a friend had painted for me and it just goes with the greenish pagan theme.

For my Greenman Tree oracle, I don't have a home for it, it's in it's original box until I find one that suits it or make or obtain a bag for it.

For my Mythic Tarot and Tarot of the Renaissance, they are still in their original boxes and I'm not sure where their new box or bag will be. If something jumps out at me, I get it. Lately I've noticed I've got a box that kind of suits it's personality. Of all the boxes so far the Tree of life box (That I got from The Witch Shop of Pa online) and the Greenman box that my friend Ilanah painted for me are the most special.

But to answer the question (sorry, got wordy there) I keep them in the box within the box. I don't know why. I suspect if I have a bag big enough, I'd keep the box in the bag. Maybe one day I'll get brave and let them out and stay in their places without the other box. I think it's self-preservation because one of my kids spilled something on my box and I quickly rescued it and thankfully, the box protected my Robin Wood deck.

Interesting....I look forward to reading what you all do.

LadyMedusa

I keep all my decks in bags and wooden boxes in bookcase, the books are on the shelf below.
The boxes the sets and decks come in I open up and fold flat, then they go into a tote box in the closet. The boxes that won't fold flat have flattened boxes nested in them. That way I keep them in good shape for trades, but they are out of the way while not taking up much storage space.

LadyMedusa

Michael

All of my decks are wrapped in silk squares and my main deck is in a carved wooden box. Any books go on my bookshelf and the boxes are stored in a cupboard.

Michael :)

Abrac

Of the four deck/book sets I own, there's only one box I've considered trashing, the Medieval Scapini, because it's pretty poorly made and the cards have their own individual box anyway. But I haven't, and probably won't.

I did trash the silly paper diagram that came with it. Even if I ever did want to resell it, I can't imagine anyone wanting it. I've simply saved them the trouble of trying to decide what to do with it. ;)

-fof