I am Going to Design my Own Deck - Need Your Advice

Curtis Penfold

Dude, I am digging your style with these cards. Very easy to meditate. The colors are just soothing. The style is very intuitive, mystical.

Water colors are a good choice.

I'm designing a deck with a friend, and we spend a lot of time studying symbolism, not just of tarot, but of spirituality in general. Right now, we're just in the sketching periods, but we're studying body positions and how they apply to spirituality.

I commemorate you in your efforts to express your understanding of the Tarot.

starrystarrynight

Card_Carrying_Man said:
A castle/keep appears in several traditional version of the card so I stuck with that. That castle in this card is a real place. It is the Rock of Castle here in Ireland and was once the residence of the High Kings of Munster. The place is filled with incredible energy so why not include it.

here is the real place:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1394...0cdc3065a_b.jpg

The reason I asked that is that I, too, have seen a similar structure on a lot of the RWS clones, and I have never really understood its inclusion (unless it refers to the traditional, sturdy structure of energy from which the Ace of Wands breaks--and, therefore, starts something new out of a new passion or what have you--moving away from that sturdy background structure. I just don't know! :)) I guess in that way, I can see having a building in the background...but structures, to me, signify tradition or things already built...and the Ace of Wands has never been about that at all to me. You don't find anything similar on, say, the Thoth deck's Ace of Wands.

I don't mean to hijack your thread and talk about symbolism...I just wondered if you had an inkling why Waite included a building like that, and then why you did so, as well.

Anyway...I hope you continue with your deck. I really like the way you express! And yes, that actual castle photo link you provided does give an aura of passion and energy, what with all that golden lighting! Thanks for linking that. :)

Cat*

Card_Carrying_Man said:
Here is the first initial draft card design. I started with the Ace of Wands as I selected it randomly out of my own deck as this seemed the proper thing to do.

So anyways, this is style I am working in and any feedback good, bad or indiferent I would be delighted to hear
I most love how the structure of the paper is so very visible! Makes me want to touch the image immediately. Then again, it might also disappoint me slightly in a printed deck that just looked as if it had that structure but that felt completely smooth. Or maybe I would end up liking just that contrast/paradox.

:)

Curtis Penfold

Cat* said:
I most love how the structure of the paper is so very visible! Makes me want to touch the image immediately. Then again, it might also disappoint me slightly in a printed deck that just looked as if it had that structure but that felt completely smooth. Or maybe I would end up liking just that contrast/paradox.

:)

Agreed. I think that having a visible and yet non-existent texture actually helps make this art seem "other-worldly."

Card_Carrying_Man

Thank you all so very much. I am really excited about this project now. I am especially delighted that some people have already meditated on the design as this was important to me personally.

Just to make it more official I have started a blog.

http://tarotravenfieldts.blogspot.com/

AprilFool

Absolutely lovely! :D

I'm looking forward to following your progress on the rest of the deck! I've got the blog bookmarked to check on it frequently!

No pressure, of course.... ;)

But hurry up and do another one!

shadowdancer

Hi Card_Carrying_Man

you are bringing back so many great memories I have of Ireland... I toured the whole coastline working my way round clockwise with the start and end point in Dublin. Fantastic journey and one I actually wrote up as a book (although Bill Bryson may not be quaking in his sleep too much just yet :D :D ) Even as I type am remembering the smell of the peat bogs in Donegal, (and of course the rain - which seems permanent that part of the world...lol), and wonderful B & B's I had the fortune to stay in.

Before I get gently told off, had better get back on topic

Good luck with this journey. I know from personal experience it is one of the most rewarding journies of discovery you can undertake. I love the style of the ace of wands and really do wish you all the best. I don't know if it is just my imagination but we are blessed this year with so many tarot creations being undertaken by individuals who almost give the impression of answering a calling. I have no doubt yours can and will take its place up there as as one that will be enjoyed.

Davina

Curtis Penfold

Card_Carrying_Man said:
This is becoming a magical personal journey.

Next card out was The Moon.

http://tarotravenfieldts.blogspot.com/2009/11/moon.html

I like your interpretation a lot. The wolf looking straight at you adds a nice touch. It shows the viewer more clearly the potential problems this card can cause.

And those mountains! Something about those mountains makes me think of feminine energy. That "V" shape, you know. It's like a womb, which is really what this card is about. You capture it all.

Card_Carrying_Man

Yes Curtis the V in the mountains was symbolic of the femine. That's also a real place in Ireland called The Gap of Dunloe.

I am not 100% happy about the numbering. I loath Roman numerials as they are basically rooted in a totalitarian, murderous ruling class and I prefer the arabic numerials for this reason and the 0. I think I am going to hand letter the numbers. I am not sure yet.

Again thanks for feedback: good and bad it all helps.