I am Going to Design my Own Deck - Need Your Advice

Curtis Penfold

I think one thing I like about your deck is that, so far, these scenes almost seem like you're there. They seem very magical, and yet very real. The subtle symbolism is very neat.

You're being intuitive, like that wolf looking at you. (It's original in placement, but it adds a lot to the card's feeling). But not just that, you're also very aware of the occult symbols used in the Tarot, and you use the ones you most enjoy that you think most reflect the feelings you have about that card without hesitation. That's something I think is really cool.

Using natural scenery. That's neat, too. Adds to that "otherworld meets this world" feeling.

It's kind of like the Celtic belief that certain areas are sacred, that maybe you're closer to gods or fairies in some places. In essence, your cards are trying to imitate that. That's what Tarot's all about. Getting close to your inner self, your divine. You make a place, with those images, where you can do that.

(Oh, and I do think your numbering is unique. A powerful statement. This truly is going to be a 100% Irish :D)

irmata

Card_Carrying_Man said:
This is becoming a magical personal journey.

Next card out was The Moon.

http://tarotravenfieldts.blogspot.com/2009/11/moon.html
You've captured the atmosphere of loneliness that I personally find in all good Moon cards. It's not necessarily a "bad" loneliness, but it's a feeling of... isolation nevertheless. In it's intensified form, it can be individuality or even desolation. I can hear the wind in your card; sometimes it shrieks and howls, other times it twirls around your feet. Very nice!

Curtis Penfold

I like the handmaiden. Semi-sensual, the moon adds to that. Her body position is tranquile, peaceful, calm, but her face, it's like a mask. I kind of think it makes you wonder how she's feeling, pointing to the moodiness of this card.

You said you were interested in the good and bad: so, um, I don't really like your "Temperance" card that much. I just don't like the way you interpreted it.

I mean, that card's definitelly about the act of "creation." But I think it's also about combining things together to make something new, a symbol that's hard to pick out in this card.

Plus, the perceptions weird. It looks like he's painting the entire scene. Maybe I was just excited to see how you would show a combining of two things, and I didn't see that, so I kind of just...didn't like it. Sorry.

Card_Carrying_Man

No worries Curtis I appriaciate your honesty. I am not 100% crazy about it myself. Perhaps it's too surreal. I don't know.

Curtis Penfold

Card_Carrying_Man said:
No worries Curtis I appriaciate your honesty. I am not 100% crazy about it myself. Perhaps it's too surreal. I don't know.

Is he drawing the whole scenery? Is he in a cave and those are thoughts in his head?

If that's the case, it's hard to see that.

ar Leithligh

Your own deck

Just thought I would say Hi from Co. Cork. How wonderful - another Irish tarot deck creator. I too have created my own deck, 'Deirdre of the Sorrows'. I would like to wish you every success with your deck - it really looks very exciting, vibrant and mystical- just like the land that we inhabit!

I notice that the Rock of Cashel in your Ace of Wands has caused some confusion with some of the members of the Forum. The Ace of Wands is about 'potential'. Something new is sweeping into your life - in your case your deck - hence you started with the Ace of Wands. The castle, or tower or rock represents many things not least of which is strength, planning and strategies.

The Ace is your seed i.e. your starting point for the deck and, whether consciously or subconsciously, the Rock of Cashel is your foundation on which the rest of the deck will spring and what a solid foundation you are building. Good choice!!

Deirdre

Card_Carrying_Man

Hi Deirdre and thanks for the info do you have a link to your own tarot?

I am going to create the entire 78 card deck and then as a complete body of work see how it resonates with me and others and then if some cards need to be refined then I'll do it. For me it is sort of like creating a family and then trying to raise them to be good siblings to each other.

gregory

Card_Carrying_Man said:
Hi Deirdre and thanks for the info do you have a link to your own tarot?

I am going to create the entire 78 card deck and then as a complete body of work see how it resonates with me and others and then if some cards need to be refined then I'll do it. For me it is sort of like creating a family and then trying to raise them to be good siblings to each other.
Psst. Deirdre of the Sorrows - get to it through the website link at the bottom of her post. Where - er - yours should be !! :) (put it in your profile and it will appear !)

Card_Carrying_Man

Doh...thanks Gregory. How do I put that wee "website" link in the bar at the bottom of my posts? I will also put a link to this forum on my blog.

Deirdre, your tarot is beautiful. Love the artwork and it is so inspiring to me. Thanks for alerting your work to me and for your encouragement.

I just did the Death card for anyone who wants to see:

http://tarotravenfieldts.blogspot.com/