New Deck in Progress ~ Currently Unnamed

Sinduction

Link to all the cards to date.

St. Tarocchini has finally answered my prayers, well, somewhat. My hubs to be, who is an amazing artist if I do say so myself, asked me if I would help him on his quest to make a deck. He's got a masters degree in drawing and I've been begging him to make one for me and he's always said no.

I don't know what brought about this change, he's never been interested in my decks and he knows nothing about tarot and, for right now, he doesn't want to know. He wants to interpret my direction on his own, before he goes looking at cards, and I will be here to gently guide him while allowing his creativity to flow.

Now, I thought we could all help him with our ideas and feedback and as he finishes the cards I will post them for us to critique and enjoy and what-not. So, don't hold back, he won't be reading! :D

There is no name yet, as we are waiting to let it speak to us.

Here is what he needs from me, and you, if you want to help out.
Comparative Character from film or television:
Descriptive words for card:
Feelings:

Right now we aren't worrying about color. I'm pushing for a sepia tone but he may go full color.

As an example, I will share what I'm giving him for the Fool, which I am calling Card 0, he doesn't want the names either (but our majors will not be numbered, only titled):

Person: Yes, male or female.
Any other thing that needs to be there: could add a dog, satchel/suitcase-y thing.
Comparative Character: Arthur Dent from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (he likes this book and I thought it fitting) watch him work a towel into this card.
Descriptive words for card: Embarking upon a new beginning into the unknown
Feeling: Positive, infinite possibilities

So that's my start, I've got to go write it on an index card for him to work on.

He wants at least 5 to start with and I'm hoping for a card or two by the weekend.

So, join in, if you'd like, or just follow along and see how this develops. I'm so very excited to see what happens!!

jcwirish

OMG Sin, how exciting! I think this is wonderful. I can't wait to see how this project progresses. How lucky you are to have an artist right there to bring all your thoughts and ideas to life. I don't have much to add, except that I am very excited about this.

stefficus

SO COOL! and that's a fantastic take on the fool, by the way. ;) if we should give slightly geeky examples, you know i'm up for that.

i must away to think...

Sinduction

Oh yes, we are both geeks and both love Star Wars (I'm working on that as a solo deck for me!) He is way into Dune but I don't follow that one at all. He is a total movie buff and worked movies into his masters thingy, thesis?

I will be writing the lwb or companion book, whichever I deem is needed for his deck. Not sure how well he will listen to my suggestions and I don't want to stifle his art but I'm trying to get him to understand what readability means. :D

Gooneybird

Sinduction said:
Oh yes, we are both geeks and both love Star Wars (I'm working on that as a solo deck for me!) He is way into Dune but I don't follow that one at all. He is a total movie buff and worked movies into his masters thingy, thesis?
Ooooh, DUNE!!! Has he ever seen those sample tarot 'cards' in the Dune Encyclopedia?

For the Fool, in addition to Arthur Dent, perhaps compare The Fool to Paul Atreides on Caladan, before the trip to Arrakis/Dune, all full of potential, perhaps even before he gets put to the test of Human-ness.

Should be a fun process for you two! Maybe I'll chime in with more thoughts when its not bedtime. :)

Sinduction

Gooneybird said:
Ooooh, DUNE!!! Has he ever seen those sample tarot 'cards' in the Dune Encyclopedia?
I will have to ask him!

For the Fool, in addition to Arthur Dent, perhaps compare The Fool to Paul Atreides on Caladan, before the trip to Arrakis/Dune, all full of potential, perhaps even before he gets put to the test of Human-ness.
I have added this to his Fool card!

Should be a fun process for you two! Maybe I'll chime in with more thoughts when its not bedtime. :)
If we don't kill each other first! :D Please do!

Ok, I have done 3 more, here they are:

The Magician
Person: Male
Things: Traditionally ~ a wand, a cup, a sword, and a coin
Comparative Character: Merlin
Description: Mastery of the elements at hand.
Feelings: Commands respect, can be friend or foe
(Feelings were difficult for this one)

The High Priestess
Person: Female
Things:
Comparative Character: A Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother (go me!)
Description: Keeper of secrets, walker between worlds
Feeling: Indifference, mysterious, psychic

Empress
Person: Female ~ pregnant or has child(ren)
Things: earthiness, vegetation
Comparative Character: Your Mom! :D
Description: Mother of all things, Mother Earth, Creation
Feelings: Loving, Caring, Tending

And I'm spent for the night. It's really difficult to get to the bare bones of a card.

Feel free to suggest other things in my write ups too! And feel free to share yours. All are welcome. :D

Ashtaroot

that is amazing Sin congrats :thumbsup:

Sinduction

Shhh! :shhh:

He's drawing the Fool! I peeked!

And per Patrick, "Any Dune reverences must include: Book, Movie, or Mini Series." :D

:shhh: I saw a train! :bugeyed:

Celice

Very awesome, I can't wait to see pictures!

jcwirish

This is exciting! When can you sneak a sketch to show us?