Tarot de Paris par Bertrand

Bertrand

Hello Garmonbozia,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I like your observation about the backgrounds, when I test printed the pictures I thought the colour differences were in a sense compensating the "black-and-whiteness" of the pictures and that's why I kept them that way - which in my opinion make them more "lively" than pure black lines on a white background, and it keeps a bit of the "handmade" feel of the original deck.
Do all the illustrations fit within the cards ? I don't mind about inaccurate registration but very few cards I got (a couple or three) have a small bit of the lines cut by the border of the card (some were hard to fit completely within the "safe" area).

I'm glad that I was able to get them when I did. Selling them on your website is probably the best option for those outside of the US, but Gamecrafter is a convenient and cheaper option for those of us in the US.
I didn't realize it was cheaper from TGC ! I must have been confused by the currency conversion.

Having purchased from GameCrafter before, I knew the wait time can vary and that I could check to see what # I was in the queue.
One other thing that worries me with direct ordering from TGC is that I can't control potential registration errors.

I really love your images. At this small size it is hard to make out some of the details on the cards though. Have you considered publishing these at regular playing card size?
I'm really glad you like them ; regarding the size, the illustrations are nearly as big as the original handmade cards, they are reduced by barely more than 15% compared to the original surface (that is closer to <10% for height and width).

Making the machine-printed deck smaller than the original is one of the reason I chose to make it happen, because I'm not feeling like I'm making a "fake". So you lose around 30% of the whole card size but only less than 10% of the illustration size (the original handmade deck has large margins)
Or would your images not be able to be expanded to that size?
They wouldn't fit a poker card with less borders unless they are enlarged. The miniature size also makes a lower production cost so it's a good compromise between the illustration size which is kept large enough and the overall cost.
Also, you'd then be able to include a tuck box on Gamecrafter and "publish" them there so people can find it on the site, right?
yes, that is an issue, they should make smaller boxes but alas they don't and they also don't want to sell a miniature deck in one of their poker sized plastic tuck boxes.
I could be wrong, but I think this deck could potentially sell well there if people happened to find it. The tarot decks offered on that site are some of their top sellers. I would definitely buy another deck at that size.

Just a suggestion I wanted to make in case you hadn't considered it already.
Thank you for the suggestion, notes taken, I will eventually try to see if it could work with the medium game box.

Now that I think about it I may have an idea but I have to try it and see how it works so it will take some work and some time.

Bertrand

garmonbozia

Do all the illustrations fit within the cards ? I don't mind about inaccurate registration but very few cards I got (a couple or three) have a small bit of the lines cut by the border of the card (some were hard to fit completely within the "safe" area).

Yes they do, none of mine are cropped.

One other thing that worries me with direct ordering from TGC is that I can't control potential registration errors.

What are registration errors?

They wouldn't fit a poker card with less borders unless they are enlarged. The miniature size also makes a lower production cost so it's a good compromise between the illustration size which is kept large enough and the overall cost.

Are the mini deck cards cheaper to print? When I was looking through what their parts cost for production, it looked to me that the mini cards and the poker cards had the same per card cost. The micro cards were a little cheaper though.

yes, that is an issue, they should make smaller boxes but alas they don't and they also don't want to sell a miniature deck in one of their poker sized plastic tuck boxes.
Thank you for the suggestion, notes taken, I will eventually try to see if it could work with the medium game box.
Now that I think about it I may have an idea but I have to try it and see how it works so it will take some work and some time.

Well, that is just absurd that they won't allow you to publish them in one of the clear tuck boxes. That medium game box is a ridiculous requirement for publishing as it is meant to hold more than one deck. Since I ordered several blank tuck boxes in my order, they didn't even put the cards in a baggie, they wrapped them in paper and put them in one of the tuck boxes. I find that a bit hypocritical of them.

I hope you revisit the playing card size idea. Even if you only had to enlarge your image a small percentage to make the white border to image ratio look good, I think it would be worth doing. You could publish the deck in a tuck box, and without needing the medium game box (which is pricey and not small), so the lowest possible shipping rate should still apply for both domestic and international.

Bertrand

Yes they do, none of mine are cropped.
What are registration errors?
maybe I'm using the wrong term here ! I was speaking of the position of the image inside the card, when the image is too shifted compared to what it should be.
so the lowest possible shipping rate should still apply for both domestic and international.
may I ask you how much was the domestic shipping cost for the mini deck ? Thanks in advance !

Bertrand

garmonbozia

may I ask you how much was the domestic shipping cost for the mini deck ? Thanks in advance !

I paid $5.50 for Priority shipping. I did order a bunch of blank tuck boxes also, but I don't think they weighed enough to increase my shipping cost.

Bertrand

Thanks Garmonbozia, I made a huge mistake in the currency conversion - corrected now.

garmonbozia

You can also buy the printed sheets only not mounted as cards ;)

So your uncut sheets are different than just being cards that have not yet been cut, it's just the printed paper that has not yet been mounted on cardstock?

Bertrand

So your uncut sheets are different than just being cards that have not yet been cut, it's just the printed paper that has not yet been mounted on cardstock?
yes - that's exactly what they were : only the handprinted sheet, not mounted and not smoothed.