Tarot of the Absurd .... FINISHED

Debra

I have contacted two publishers. They're really slow to get back to me, and I don't really know what's appropriate in terms of asking them for status updates. I sent inquiries out on the 29th of February. On the 16th of March, one person told me she'd be pitching it at her next meeting, tho she didn't know when that would be.

The other was a friend of a friend who works in a publishing house not too far from where I live (they have published tarot decks in the past). She's not in the arena of accepting new projects, but she wrote me and told me she handed it off to the person who is. Since then, I haven't heard back.

As far as I can tell, publishers have lots of people contact them and a very "don't call us we'll call you" attitude. I'm unsure whether I'm "allowed" to contact other publishers or what. I find it intimidating. At this rate, tho, it could take years just to find a publisher. That doesn't seem fair.

And I agree, perhaps my fear they would take over my work is irrational, but I do want to retain rights to the images. I also agree that most ANYone has better marketing skills than I do :)

Based on my experience in other areas of publishing, I'd give them another two weeks and then get back in touch. They may be passing it around within the organization, and that takes time. I don't imagine there's a prohibition on multiple submissions--it's not academia. The US Games guidelines don't say anything about it. Good luck!

Barefoot Fool

The company in China won't give me a straight answer about the design for the box. I want a template.
She (my salesperson) told me the designer works on that.
I said I can't begin to give a design if I don't know what their standard die template looks like.
She came back with a 40% price increase, saying the box wasn't included in the original bid after all, and still didn't tell me anything about box design.

So I questioned her about mathematical inconsistencies in the estimate:
(the number of cards per deck) x (the weight of paper in grams) ≠ (weight of total package)
It was off by about 50%, on the light side, leading me to underestimate shipping by 100%.
I have not heard from her since.

Thusfar, I have not lost any money in this overseas business venture.

Laura Borealis

I can only imagine your frustration with these Chinese publishers. :(

Barefoot Fool

Well, it was an interesting learning experience, and if I wanted to make 10,000 or even 5,000 decks it would be well worth it to travel to China and check out the factory and stay there and maybe go out to the countryside and buy some tea and look for interesting fabrics. The savings is really that significant. However, I'm done learning about this. I'm coming back to the US to deal with people who either (a) are experts in dealing with the Chinese or (b) have excellent customer service.

Monicka Clio Sakki brought up the idea of screen-printing. That would be totally awesome because I could get it done locally and the cards would have a neat textural ink-on-paper feel. I'm having a few test cards done to see if the resolution is fine enough to print my little details and lines. If not, back to square one, older & wiser but not too much poorer at least.

For your amusement, from China:

PAYMENT
1.PLS CONTACT US BEFORE YOU PLACE AN ORDER.
2.FULL PAYMENT MUST BE MADE WITHIN 15 DAYS OF PLACING YOUR ORDER.
3.THE BUYER IS RESPOBSIBLE FOR ANY TAX AND/ OR DUTY CHARGED BY THEIR CONTRY.
INSURANCE
BUYERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INSURANCE THEY FEEL IS REQUIRED.

OTHERS

1.THE STOCKS MIGHT NOT LOOK EXACTLY AS IN THE PICTURE DISPLAYED. IT MAY LOOK SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT DUE TO SOME REASONS.

2.WITH THE CREDIBILITY OF THE FIRST , THE CUSTOMER IS SUPREME MANAGEMENT TENET, ALL THE GOODS SOLD AT THE HIGHEST QUALITY, SALES.GOODS SOLD BEFORE ,WITH STRICT INSPECTION IN PACKING.

3.WELCOME TO MAKE INQUIRY AND PLACE AN ORDER FROM US.

Pixelsmith

Ouch...

Wow, that sounds incredibly confusing and a huge waste of time. I feel bad I suggested it in the first place.

I was at the Emerald City Comicon this weekend and one of the things I heard repeated about going overseas is that it's incredibly important to know someone before you begin. I didn't know that when I suggested it in the first place.

I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you. I look forward to much smoother sailing from here on out.

Good luck!

Laura Borealis

1.THE STOCKS MIGHT NOT LOOK EXACTLY AS IN THE PICTURE DISPLAYED. IT MAY LOOK SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT DUE TO SOME REASONS.

Well, at the very least this is worth a laugh :laugh:

Barefoot Fool

Wow, that sounds incredibly confusing and a huge waste of time. I feel bad I suggested it in the first place.
Good luck!

Well, if I hadn't spent so much time searching the China sites, I wouldn't have found the stolen Sakki-Sakki image & told her & been given the idea of screen-printing, which may OR may not work out, but is a cool idea.

I'll take the luck, tho!

& thank you to all of you who went along for the ride. It was funny, even on my end. :D

...to be continued...

Ashtaroot

Aaaack I can't see flash :rolleyes:

truelighth

Thanks for keeping us updated on everything. That China adventure does sound very much like.. don't go there. I hope the screen printing works out. I would love a copy.

And otherwise, I don't know if anyone has suggested gamecrafter yet. I have the Black Fantasy Tarot, which was made by another AT member and which you can order through the Gamecrafter. The quality is really nice. Unfortunally, she way she gets paid is getting credits in their shop and not cash. So if you were to go that route, make sure it doesn't work that way for you too.
I also have the Bluerose Tarot, which was printed by the Gamecrafter. But the artist is selling them herself on Etsy, so I think she probably ordered a bunch and then sells them so she gets the proceeds. It is a way to get a limited amount of decks printed I am guessing. So that might be an option for you.

Barefoot Fool

Aaaack I can't see flash :rolleyes:

Sorry. Apple is trying to make Flash obsolete by not providing a platform to view it on their iPads & iPhones. They say there's better stuff out there. So you have to use a computer on the verge of obsalescence...

My totally awesome brother did the website and I have no clue how to edit anything, despite the fact that I would like to. Now he's really busy so I'm trying to find someone else to take over. Not many people will work for love, so I'll have to shell out some cash. A friend (who will no longer work for me for love :( ) suggested trashing the flash.

Lots of apologies.