Tarot Resom

blue_fusion

Pardon the rambling text:

I wanted to start posting here once I had an actual finished artwork (colours and all), but I figured I might as well show it in its in-progress state.

As a semblance of an intro - I was out of circulation (from the tarot world) for some years due to a number of, well, things that had a strong impact in my life. Wasn't able to do art during this time as well. I didn't realize I'd miss creating this much (and tarot too!), so I decided to try doing some sketches, originally just as warm-ups, and they ended up looking like tarot art so I developed them further.

As an aside, along the way, I unearthed a lot of unfinished tarot projects and ideas I jotted down for future decks, some of which have already recently been wonderfully executed by other artists (like the cephalopod and the Silhouettes) - though my approach would have been different so mebbe I'd still pursue executing these in the future. Hopefully these unfinished ideas, sketches, shadows of decks, would be enough to help me reclaim/remember strokes, techniques, ability to execute different styles, etc.

here's some of those sketches (some were originally intended as mini deck freebies I used to give out whenever I self-published a deck:

A - Clockwise, from top left: a high priestess, 2 fools, a magician, and an empress.

B - Two different high priestesses.

C - A priestess and a fool for an oriental cat deck (the priestess has the same pose as that of the Curious East's - I think I was doing that deck when I sketched this one).

Attachments

• Sketchies A.jpg
    Sketchies A.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 347
  • Sketchies B.jpg
    Sketchies B.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 269
  • Sketchies C.jpg
    Sketchies C.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 250

blue_fusion

D - Meant as mini deck freebies, I think. Top row: Cartoon-ish fool, and two more cat deck sketches. Bottom Row: I think these were meant for something surrealistic.

E - Right side: 2 fools, a priestess and an empress. For a doll freebie, I think. Left side. Top: priestess and fool for, I dunno what type of folk these are. lol Bottom: attempt at a semi-abstract swirly freebie deck. I think.

F - RWS clone freebie done in a particular, I dunno, tombstone-faced style? Some as more more modern reworkings, the rest more faithful to the original.

And then there's the Shards of Light Tarot, Tarot Eventide, and Masque Tarot, among others. I'll probably work on the eventide since it's the one closest to completion (and a full deck at that).

Attachments

• Sketchies D.jpg
    Sketchies D.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 213
  • Sketchies E.jpg
    Sketchies E.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Sketchies F.jpg
    Sketchies F.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 216

blue_fusion

So we come to Tarot Resom.

Like what I said, I tried sketching again just to get my art groove back, and they ended up like tarot art. 2 different styles. I did a mock-up of (see tarot sampler attachment) 2 cards I've sketched of each deck (these will look very different once fully-coloured, but I wanted to have an idea how the line art would respond to colouring - that and I needed to relearn how to digitally colour stuff.

The top left and bottom right are from Tarot Resom. the other two are attempts at a style and colouring approach I developed years ago when I was active in Deviantart - a more mature kin to the Tarot Parac.

The deck is inspired by the art of Wiener Werkstaette power couple (lol) Kolo and Ditha Moser. I didn't want to call it the Moser Tarot since the resulting art doesn't look too much like the art of the Mosers, so I did the Etteila thing and just called it Tarot Resom - a naming strategy of historical tarot pedigree! lol

I did try working on a Wiener Werkstaette deck ages ago, and I still have the sketches and even some mock-up cards (see Tarot WW attachment), but I lost my source book I was using for it - might continue it once I buy a new copy of the said book.

I like the tension brought about by juxtaposing hard straight lines with curvilinear forms - something Charles Rennie McIntosh introduced to the Secessionists. I used the Moser's use of pattern, geometric forms (even simplifications - this is wonderfully executed in Ditha Mosers card art) as a springboard to develop a drawing style emulating their work.

The magician attachment - though I'll still change the patterns and colors, approaches the look I want for the deck. Note also how it's inspired by the Joker card of Ditha Moser's Jugendstil Tarock. Actually, a number of cards I did drew from the, er, I don't khow how to put it, visual cues? in the couple's works - the fool, the magician, the empress, the emperor, the hermit - in fact, while browsing online for images of their works, I found some which just begged to have a major arcana label and a numeral.

The last attachment shows the line art of the sky trio - the star, moon, and sun. I'm down to the last 5ish cards (still thinking If I should redraw strength), and once I'm done, I'll start colouring them.

Attachments

• Tarot WW.jpg
    Tarot WW.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Tarot Sampler.jpg
    Tarot Sampler.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Sample Resom Magician.jpg
    Sample Resom Magician.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Resom Sampler.jpg
    Resom Sampler.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 238

PathWalker

You know how much I like I work :)
So nice to see you getting your groove back!
Enjoy
Pathwalker

blue_fusion

You know how much I like I work :)
So nice to see you getting your groove back!
Enjoy
Pathwalker

Thanks much! Hopefully I get to finish Tarot Resom in the next 2 weeks. ;-)

gregory

So we need to start saving.... :D

blue_fusion

So we need to start saving.... :D

There will always be some of each of my stuff in reserve for you Greggers. ;-) And I think it won't be as expensive as my previous decks since I'm gonna try using TGC.

truelighth

Oh, I love the Tarot Resom. It looks gorgeous. That one is definitely on my wishlist. And so good to see you back in the tarot world and working on tarot art again. I love your versatility in art, you always surprise me.

I'll probably work on the eventide since it's the one closest to completion (and a full deck at that).

Oh yes, please, please! I so want to have that one... :)

rota

Can't wait to see how this turns out! I'm sending good thoughts your way.

drwitz

I love what I am seeing, but since I am new to AT, what other decks have you self-published? Are any available still for purchase?