Harry Potter Tarot

lelandra

Elements and Houses

Kaylee Marie said:
Matching suits to houses is a good idea, but a tricky one. Webwitch brings up an excellent point that Ravenclaws are the intellectuals. And Slytherins do seem rather high-strung and emotional. I hate to put them with the cups though, as I can't think of any Slytherins that could represent the positive side of the cups suit. And after all, the swords suit is all about life's tests and nobody tests Harry more than they. There is also an argument to assign Slytherins to the Pentacles suit, as they are very materialistic.

So I don't really have an answer to this question. Griffindor should definitely be fire, Slytherin could be any other suit, and we really don't know much about Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, as there are only minor characters in each of those houses. Thoughts, anyone? :confused:

There are two clues besides the sorting hat song and the students that have been sorted (that we've been introduced to so far). They are the animal mascots and the locations of the houses.
See my site
http://www.lelandra.com/tarotbook/harrypotterelements.htm
for a detailed argument of why

Gryffindor = Fire
Slytherin = Water
Hufflepuff = Earth
Ravenclaw = Air

Now you still have to have an agreement as to which tarot suits correspond to which element :) Personally, I believe that Wands = Fire and Swords = Air, but there is certainly a contingent that believes the opposite.

Lelandra (Joan Cole)
http://www.lelandra.com

DarkAngel_Claudia

The idea is absolutely wonderfull!
I love it! My few humble suggestions:
Where is Peter Pettirgrew and all harry's clasmates?
What about Ron's brothers?
What if you put J.K.Rowling here herself?
I thought that Sirius Black would better be a Hermit?!

Kaylee Marie

Ah, but Sirius was not a Hermit by choice! He hated hiding from others and did not take advantage of the situation by looking within himself for the truth! He was a prisoner (even in his own house), not a hermit. I still like him for the Hanged Man.

Perhaps Peter Pettigrew could be the Hermit? He chose to go into hiding, although it doesn't seem he gained any sort of enlightenment. Nevermind. I don't like that idea.

Kaylee Marie said:
Justice could be Rowling herself, carefully weighing and deciding everyone's fates.
Not sure I still like the Rowling as Justice idea either. There's plenty of characters and situations both in print and still to come that could be more meaningful as Justice. We'll see.

I'm going to start rereading Books 1-5 next month in preparation for Book 6's release in July. I'll post here as I come across scenes that would make good pips or have further ideas for the trumps & courts.

Shade

I know the element/houses thing has been done to death but I was interested to learn in a fan interview with JK Rowling that she created the houses with the 4 elements in mind. If this has been posted already I'm sorry but I thought it was pretty interesting.

The interview come from The Leaky Cauldron fan site http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extras/aa-jointerview3.html

"JKR: Probably. I hear you. It is the tradition to have four houses, but in this case, I wanted them to correspond roughly to the four elements. So Gryffindor is fire, Ravenclaw is air, Hufflepuff is earth, and Slytherin is water, hence the fact that their common room is under the lake. So again, it was this idea of harmony and balance, that you had four necessary components and by integrating them you would make a very strong place. But they remain fragmented, as we know."

Nocturnal Lure

Why not Hagrid as the hermit, he lives in a cottage of his own apart from the school and the headlight of his motorcycle functions as a lantern.

Kaylee Marie

Hi Shade,

I saw that interview too, and am so glad that Rowling finally resolved this debate for us. I think we should go with her vision of house-element correspondence.

Griffindor=fire
Ravenclaw=air
Hufflepuff=earth
Slytherin=water

Now if we could only agree on which suit matches which element! Like Joan, I'm in the fire=wands/air=swords camp, but understand that many people will disagree.

Rowling certainly did her tarot research when writing these books, did she not? :D I loved, loved, LOVED all the tarot references in HBP!!!

Nocturnal Lure, Hagrid seems a bit too social to be the Hermit. And that's not his motorcycle; it belongs to Sirius.

Blessings be,
Kaylee Marie

MikeTheAltarboy

I'm just throwing some things out here - I don't have much commitment to them, since this isn't something I've thought about a great deal:

Strength - Hermione *with* crookshanks. :)
Weasly twins- the magician (Even though 2 is unusual, they fit more with the "mountebank" picture in older tarot decks)
What about Luna as the high priestess? She seems a little more *in the other world* than Trelawny.
*SPOILER!* How about Dumbledoor/ the astronomy tower for The Tower?

Judgement may have to wait a book. ;-)
For the world, how about hogwarts surrounded by the emblems of the houses?

I don't like snape as heirophant - Because I *hate* snape and love the heirophant. What about Dumbledoor? He's the headmaster (education?).

I'd also see dobby as the fool.

RudyStairs

I think this is a wonderful idea and have been working on my own idea for a deck of this nature. I agree with a lot of your card choices. if you dont mind here are mine. See what you think...I also love the idea of seperating the four trumps into the four houses though I do think that those seperations might just be used for the court cards and not the minors.. would hate to have all the cup cards as slytherin.. here were my card ideas
though i agree that we cant really have a definite idea of cards till the last book.

Fool Ron
Magician Harry
High Priestess Hermoine
Empress maybe Lilly Potter
Emperor maybe James
Heirophant Dumbeldore
Lovers thought maybe lilly and james.. not sure though
Chariot Moody
Strength Mcgonagall.. for her association with cats
Hermit Sirius
Wheel the Pensive
Justice - Moody if not chariot
Hanged Man Cedric
Death Fauxe
Tempreance Snape
Devil Voldermort
Tower Dumbelodres death.. falling from tower
Star Firenze though i liked the idea of lilly as well
Moon Lupin
Sun the Snitch or james
Judgement Sorting Hat
Universe .. hogwarts
Ace of Wand .. The Ravenclaw item (am hopping its a wand)
3 of wands the DA
Page of Wands Ginny
Knight of Wands Tonks
Queen of Wands Molly Weasley
King of Wands Arthur Weasley
Ace of Cups Huffelpuffs Cup
3 of cups Harry, Herm, Ron
9 of cups Trelawney .. the fortune teller
10 of cups .. the Burrow
page of cups luna lovegood
queen of cups pomfrey
Ace of Swords Gryfindor's Sword
10 of Swords.. Death of .. fill in the blank once the seventh book comes out
page of swords Draco
Knight of Swords maybe percy
Queen of Swords Narcissa
King of Swords Lucious
Ace of pentacles .. Slytherins Locket
two of pentacles Fred and George
page of pentacles Neville Longbottom
Queen of Pentacles Sprout
King of Pentacles Hagrid

I think this would be a wonderful deck if Ms. Rowling let it be created...

Can't wait to see everyone elses ideas...

catlin

Great idea! I really wonder there was no publisher until now snatching up the idea.