For Tarot Deck Creators - What is a Tarot deck? (revisited)

gregory

Actually not everyone agrees the Venus de Milo is beautiful. Me for one. Sorry.... :( And it's not the missing arms. I just don't like her. And (shoot me) I don't like Michelangelo's David either. :eek:

Sophie

gregory said:
Actually not everyone agrees the Venus de Milo is beautiful. Me for one. Sorry.... :( And it's not the missing arms. I just don't like her. And (shoot me) I don't like Michelangelo's David either. :eek:
So you made my point. We can't even agree on what is beautiful - let alone on what is perfect!

gregory

Helvetica said:
So you made my point. We can't even agree on what is beautiful - let alone on what is perfect!
Which is what I said way back when !!!! :D

The same applies to pure. Maybe :)eek:) even to tarot !

FearfulSymmetry

We may not be able to agree on anything, even a defintion of the words we are using, but there is a fact that remains, that is that several tarot decks have become iconographic and have inspired many people to emulate them, or appy thir own brand of beauty onto their example of a structure. That woud be the TdM, Rider Waite and Thoth. If we were in the 1800s that might be a different list, if we were in a completely different culture which may not be represented here right now, it may be different, but for here and now those three seem, by virtue of their vast influnce, to be excellent arrows pointing to the living tarot archetype.

Here is some more personal opinion coming so please skip if you don't want to hear me jabber on...

To me the structure of the tarot is intimitely tied to the structure of the Universe and while our understanding of it may evolve or shft or change over tme the structure itself is probably very stable. I think that changes in tarot over time aren't so much innovation but intuitive clarification of what already lies beneath. As we keep teling the story we make small tweaks and adjustments, and keep the ones that ring true - moving the images closer and closer to what is really there but not easily quantifiable to our 5 easy access senses. That's why I find tarot history fascinating but not the end all of why tarot exists.

Maybe we can look at tarot by it's own structure.

Ace, it starts out in an unformed ball of energy and impetus, containing all but is yet undefined, an egg.

2-5, it grows and defines itself, explores itself, bursts at the seams and then as it reaches its apex...

6-9, it begins to settle down in its mastery of itself, teaching, defining, breeding, guiding and eventually it becomes...

10, complete in itself, folding in and becoming the egg for the next round of Ace, etc. etc.

Of course your mileage may vary your interpretation of the cards or the numerology will be different according to your own studies and beliefs.....but there ya go:p I'd say we were just coming out of the 6 right now, love and propogation and it seems like people are sensing a 7 looming on the horison, an evolution along the path of the sun.

mythos

FearfulSymmetry said:
Of course your mileage may vary your interpretation of the cards or the numerology will be different according to your own studies and beliefs.....but there ya go:p I'd say we were just coming out of the 6 right now, love and propogation and it seems like people are sensing a 7 looming on the horison, an evolution along the path of the sun.

What a brilliant observation. I'm sitting here like a stunned mullet, a boiled owl, speechless. My thanks FearfulSymmetry for putting all of this discussion into perspective.

And Helvet - agreeing as I do with gregory about the Venus de Milo and David ... again your point is proved. I'm about to dig out my Pope, Yeats and the Romantics, my Shakespeare (who in my ignorance, I believed was the creator of the sonnet - I blush at my ignorance:bugeyed:), my Auden ... and will have to wait until day time to dig amongst my Dad's poets for Tennyson, Wyatt and the like. My only 'modern' poets are Ginsberg and that school ... I can't imagine a sonnet amongst them but you tempt me to explore.

This metaphor has two outcomes for me .... seeing tarot through different eyes, and the possibility that I might finally 'get' poetry. This is super cool!

mythos:)

Sophie

Actually, John Berryman wrote some sonnets.

LEZAPPER

Hi i'm new to this forum and i have read this thread (very long) for some time and now is the time for me to talk....

I am on the wrong side of the fence (my own tarot deck have 123 cards) and maybe this is why no one seem to take a peek at my work (at the moment).

So my deck must be an oracle (not a tarot) from your viewpoint (if i understand the difference. If not, maybe someone can point out the difference between them for me).

Anyhow, i would like to add this:

Some wise man said long ago that an ermit with a deck in a cavern could leard all aspect of the outside world within the cards without going out.
So as the world get more and more complex shouldn't the deck go along with it?

For my point af view, thoses new realities need some real support to get fixed.

Sorry for my english (im a frenchman)