Tarot of the Black Mountain

Sidhe-Ra

As some of you know, I have volunteered to help Moderndayruth, (Lena Ruth), with the artwork for a majors only tarot to accompany her new collection of tarot-based stories. This deck will be ink and watercolour, and will be inspired by the history, landscape, mythology and architecture of Montenegro.

I have just completed the black and white ink stage of the Death card, which is inspired by a photograph of a gateway which leads to Lovcen mausoleum in the black mountains. Hopefully I may find time this evening to add the colour.

Feedback is always appreciated, especially early on!

Many Blessings,

Em xx

Attachments

• Death BandWsmall.jpg
    Death BandWsmall.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 855

moderndayruth

Em! It's... magical! OmyGod! I love this image! Thank you so much for creating it!
Love,
Lena Ruth

Bat Chicken

Wow!! This looks like it's going to be amazing.....

tabi

The Death card is actually one of my favorites out of a pack. This is a truly amazing take on it, but I love that you're showing us your beginning stages of a card being created. True the finish layout and elements may be finished but it is stunning to see a card before it actually becomes a complete card.

And, yes, I would love to see some of your other ideas/sketches for the deck as it progresses. (not so sublte hint. lol :p)

moderndayruth

a little bit of history...

The Monument that inspired Sidhe Ra to create The Death card is near castle of King Nikola I; two of his (nine) daughters , princesses Milica and Anastasija, who married into Russian Romanov Dinasty were well known in the European esoteric circles for their interest in the occult. It was them (at least the legend says)who introduced the notorius Rasputin into Russian Royal Court...
The Monument itself is rised in honor of Njegos,19th century theocrat, whose work "The Light of Microcosm" is considered to be a mystic masterpeice; Njegos himself was considered to be an enlightened adept by his contemporaries.

firefrost

I'm really taken with this card too. I've not seen another Death card like it. Looking forward to seeing the deck progress...:)

tarot4fun

Going into 'the cave' ~ reentering the Great Mother ... to hopefully be reborn.

I like it Sidhe-Ra!

Good theme moderndayruth - looking forward to seeing more!

Blessings~ :heart:

karen0205

I really like the imagery in this card. I think it would be a bit more ominous if you filled the whole card with the sides of the walls of the opening instead of leaving the white space around the cave opening. Just my opinion. It might seem more deep or like it's going somewhere further away. I really like the sickle (blade) too. I always like that in the death cards. It's so appropriate. Great artwork. I look forward to seeing more of your work! Thank you for sharing! Will the cards be available by themselves? or only in the book?

baba-prague

moderndayruth said:
The Monument that inspired Sidhe Ra to create The Death card is near castle of King Nikola I; two of his (nine) daughters , princesses Milica and Anastasija, who married into Russian Romanov Dinasty were well known in the European esoteric circles for their interest in the occult. It was them (at least the legend says)who introduced the notorius Rasputin into Russian Royal Court...
The Monument itself is rised in honor of Njegos,19th century theocrat, whose work "The Light of Microcosm" is considered to be a mystic masterpeice; Njegos himself was considered to be an enlightened adept by his contemporaries.

I really love the idea of this deck and look forward to seeing how it all comes out. Keep up the good work!

Sidhe-Ra

So much feedback already! Thank you! :)

There are some wonderful sites on the web with great photos. What a beuatiful country! I am spoiled for choice.

I'm so glad you all like it, particularly Lena, of course!

But how about now it is in colour? Also what about card layout? Here are a couple of options, but I'd love some input please...

Blessings,

Em xx

Attachments

• Deathsmall.jpg
    Deathsmall.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 366
  • Death1.jpg
    Death1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 394
  • Death2.jpg
    Death2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 374