Legend: Four of Cups, The Fading Fellowship

Sophie-David

Legend's rather humourous Four of Cups shows Arthur's knights gathered around the round table in various stages of apathy and undress, an old boys club past it prime. In the foreground one of the knights may be stealing off with a trumpet from a sleeping companion, if I see the picture correctly. Perhaps it would be fun to blow the instrument and wait for a reaction, if any. At the window, Arthur looks out over his lands in quiet desperation, knowing the difficulty of motivating warriors in times of peace.

The golden dragon on the wall banner looks strangely truncated, as if it has lost its legs and tail. Like Arthur's men, it has become disembodied: it is paralysed and going nowhere. Fortunately the kingdom did not come to an end through sheer boredom, for soon the fellowship became active in the search for the Grail.

WalesWoman

Apathy and undress? Disarray, debauchery, dishabille, disenchantment... Looks very much like "the morning after" to me, these guys are sloshed and had way too much fun 3 Cups-ing the night before. Of course they wouldn't recognize an opportunity if it landed in their lap or be in any condition to do anything with it if they were so inclined.

Take a really good look at the banner, that the one guy has wrapped around his head, doing a bad impression of Maid Marion (oh, wait, that's another Legend altogether!). That dragon looks as if it is decadently licking the sword... somewhere I had some thoughts about this card written, but can't remember where or when and haven't found the post in the study group thread, so it may have been something that came to me in one of my readings. I'll think about it some more, because it really added a lot of depth to the meaning of this card. The Lwellyn image is sort of blurred, so it's not quite coming to me. It seemed like it may have had something to do with self inflicted wounds, it's as if something you know can hurt you, but can't help but do it anyway.

The man leaning out the window, appears to be quite disgusted and bored by the whole bunch... looking for something new to appear or maybe he waiting for his ride to show up, so he can get out and away from this disreputable bunch. He really reflects the traditional RWS meaning I think... rather be anywhere than where he is... that this is getting old, but isn't all that motivated to leave, so he stands around brooding.

I have read that this is the card of disallusionment, of self induced delusions or intoxication... dulling the senses with artificial means, mainly I would suppose to escape the realities... this sort of fits in with that sword licking too.

The 4 Swords is a "Re" prefix card, the 4 Cups is a "Dis"prefix for key word discriptions I think. Guess that makes it a Dis-card. :laugh:

Sophie-David

Oh, well put WalesWoman! You really had fun with this one! ;) I think you did refer to this card in one of our other Legend posts some time ago, but I tried a search and couldn't find it.

I didn't notice the knight with the banner around his head - posing as Guenevere? Neither did I see the dragon licking the sword, I thought it was flames, but it does evoke a tongue too doesn't it? I thought the man at the window was Arthur because he seems to have a crown - as you say he looks like he's waiting for his ride!

Yes, its a "Dis-Card", but be sure to keep it in your deck anyways!

Leo62

Haha - Waleswoman and Sophie-David: great insights on all sorts of things I hadn't noticed with this card. My eyes are always drawn to the man looking out of the window - probably because I am not a party animal; how many times have I been that man!
I think this is a great image of the debilitating effects of boredom and lack of direction. Yes the dragon looks like a sort of legless dragon-balloon (energy without direction?) and the two guys to the left; one looks like he is either strangling the other, or pouring more drink down him.
I wonder if the window guy is already planning his Grail quest...you can almost see that thought bubble: "gotta get out of here; this lot have gone to the dogs." And I wonder if the rest of them would be in a fit state to start a Grail quest anyway...

Sophie-David

Leo62 said:
Haha - Waleswoman and Sophie-David: great insights on all sorts of things I hadn't noticed with this card. My eyes are always drawn to the man looking out of the window - probably because I am not a party animal; how many times have I been that man!
Oh, same here, Leo! Most parties are slow and torturous hell: loud music I don't like, booze I don't want, and conversation becomes impossible due to noise and incoherence. However, we do have an annual Christmas party that we technologists host every year which is simply wonderful. We do drink booze and have snacks or junk food (not me), but we play trivial pursuit in two teams. No music, but we always start off with Monty Python sound clips. The cardinal rule - which makes all the difference - no spouses or children. Employees only, of either gender of course.
Leo62 said:
I think this is a great image of the debilitating effects of boredom and lack of direction. Yes the dragon looks like a sort of legless dragon-balloon (energy without direction?) and the two guys to the left; one looks like he is either strangling the other, or pouring more drink down him.
I wonder if the window guy is already planning his Grail quest...you can almost see that thought bubble: "gotta get out of here; this lot have gone to the dogs." And I wonder if the rest of them would be in a fit state to start a Grail quest anyway...
Yes, the dragon is really weird isn't it - its certainly going nowhere fast. As far this lot participating in the Grail quest - well maybe that's why only three of them succeeded! :rolleyes:

WalesWoman

How did I miss the crown of the man by the window? All that sunlight streaming in, ... there's a brighter world right out side, the morning fog seems to be lifting, letting the sun shine. It must be Arthur... but he really doesn't seem to be pleased with what he sees outside either... perhaps wondering what Lancelot and Guenivere are about? Same old same, just another day in Camelot.

I also just "clicked" on the two dogs... looking a bit opportunistic, but not very freindly about it. Not too happy with the scraps and leavings. LOL Actually that old disgruntled or indifferent looking man seated in the center has a turkey leg in his hand and is nonchalantely feeding the dogs... or isn't paying attention to them. Hmmm... what might that mean? Take what is offered, don't quibble it? Low self esteem, accepting scraps and cleaning up after everyone?

It also looking like, he might just give that bench a shove to stop this other guy from playing the blues on his mouthharp. Nope... just realized that it's two guys arm wrestling. LOL And the one we can see is using his foot to gain a bit of leverage as well. Gaining unfair advantage. This is quite hysterical.

The guy being tickled... don't bug me, leave me alone.
I can just hear that one with the banner on his head, spouting poetry, or some saga.

That Dragon is some dragon too... as in things are draggin' right along. It has a unicorn horn so, I think it's about desires and drives first and foremost. The Pendragon was the family name (I believe) or a title of station... so in a way this is about that climb to the top... the swords could be the violence and drive to get there, Taste My Sword! Which is pretty inflammatory... not leaving much room for arguement or differing views.

This card is definately one you can't be indifferent about.

Sophie-David

WalesWoman said:
How did I miss the crown of the man by the window? All that sunlight streaming in, ... there's a brighter world right out side, the morning fog seems to be lifting, letting the sun shine. It must be Arthur... but he really doesn't seem to be pleased with what he sees outside either... perhaps wondering what Lancelot and Guenivere are about?
Yes, that crossed by mind too, the Lance and Guen question - perhaps there the only ones with any energy around here! })

WalesWoman said:
I also just "clicked" on the two dogs... looking a bit opportunistic, but not very freindly about it. Not too happy with the scraps and leavings. LOL Actually that old disgruntled or indifferent looking man seated in the center has a turkey leg in his hand and is nonchalantely feeding the dogs... or isn't paying attention to them. Hmmm... what might that mean? Take what is offered, don't quibble it? Low self esteem, accepting scraps and cleaning up after everyone?
Wow! Excellant detective work, WalesWoman, I hadn't even seen the dogs before.

WalesWoman said:
It also looking like, he might just give that bench a shove to stop this other guy from playing the blues on his mouthharp. Nope... just realized that it's two guys arm wrestling. LOL And the one we can see is using his foot to gain a bit of leverage as well. Gaining unfair advantage. This is quite hysterical.
OK, that's what it is, arm wrestling - yes! I think the middle guy is just resting his foot on his comrade's chair, not yet trying to tip him from it - but maybe he will if the arm wrestling doesn't go the way he wants!

WalesWoman said:
The guy being tickled... don't bug me, leave me alone.
I can just hear that one with the banner on his head, spouting poetry, or some saga.
I think its more violent that a tickling! And yes, the guy with the banner and the leg of meat looks like he's doing a great oration! :rolleyes:

Wonderful CSI skills, WalesWoman! :)