Medicine Cards

Dee 04

Does anyone work with the Medicine Cards? I know I had asked this in the old forum but I still wanna know anyone else's experience with the Medicine Cards.

truthsayer

are you talking about the ones by jamie sams? i really like them b/c i like her approach to totem animals. the cards aren't astonishly beautiful but i do think they are a workable deck. you have to have the book in order to understand the deck. i don't really like her other deck as much. if you are looking for a prettier native american deck, i think the vision quest and sweat lodge cards are more attractive. susan siddon boulet did a breathtaking deck of animal cards. meanings of the animals are written on the back of each card.

Dee 04

Hey Truth!
Yes, I was referring to the ones by Jamie Sams. I have the book - I haven't finshed it yet though.
I used to have the Vision Quest, however, some printing errors on the cards distracted me a little. Do you read to others with any of the above or more for yourself?

truthsayer

Dee (16 Aug, 2001 02:59):
Hey Truth!
Yes, I was referring to the ones by Jamie Sams. I have the book - I haven't finshed it yet though.
I used to have the Vision Quest, however, some printing errors on the cards distracted me a little. Do you read to others with any of the above or more for yourself?
\

hi dee!
i lost my medicine cards when i got married and moved 5 years ago and haven't managed to find them. however, i ordered another copy and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. i seldom replace what i lose but imho this deck is a keeper. i read it for myself and others. i found that nature lovers particularly like it. i also used sams other deck the sacred path in conjunction w/ the medicine cards for readings w/ others and myself. i love sams' spreads. she's so creative and innovative w/ incorporating NA ideals into the cards and the spreads. have you done the totem animal spread yet? that's a great one! :)

Dee 04

Truth :
Actually, it is funny that you ask me if I've done my Totem animals yet. I discovered my Power Animal (Condor) in a Journey during a Core Shamanism weekend. i noticed that Condor is not in this deck - what shall I make of my totem animals on the left and right positions according to the spread? :)

Alleira

Dee,
You're in luck. I have been working with the Medicine cards since they first came out many many many years ago. In fact, I'm really starting to be moderately scared because I just realised how long it's been. Argh... So what's on your mind Dee?

Alleira

Dee (14 Aug, 2001 11:47):
Does anyone work with the Medicine Cards? I know I had asked this in the old forum but I still wanna know anyone else's experience with the Medicine Cards.

Dee 04

Alleira:
I have been reading for myself with this deck using the spreads inthe book. I really like this deck A LOT!!! But since I have not been working with it for long - I guessI just wanted to know how others were reading with it? for self? for others? what is the experience with this deck -- any stories you want to share? what do you like about it the most? the least? anything basically....

How long have you been workin with this deck?

Alleira

Dee,
Don't quote me on this lol, but I think I got it back in 1988. That's about right. I started to work with it when my mother first got her deck. It was actually the first deck of any kind that I had used. One of my favorite parts about the deck is that it's positive without being patronizing in anyway. You won't get doom and destruction with it, but it will tell you when you need to perhaps make a change in your life for some reason. I think the only thing I don't enjoy is the particular size of the deck. I am a small woman and with that comes difficulties in finding cards that are perfect- which is an absolute rarity. They aren't too wide, just a little too long. That's my only complaint.

Over the years I have done a lot of layouts for myself. I have found that when I am looking into them, I really am getting answers. I have also used them to find out just situations before getting into them with a good degree of accuracy.

Years ago I did a layout which suggested that I would be getting a teacher of some sort. The wolf came up with a shining smile. I put the whole layout aside. For a while things simply didn't happen. Then of course things started falling into place like it was detailed. The situation seemed so familiar. I looked it up and there it was. The who scenario drawn out with the animals.

I enjoy the certain spiritual feeling that these cards give off. What's also of interest is that when David Carson was written to, he actually wrote back. Very cool.

Alleira

Dee (19 Aug, 2001 05:29):
Alleira:
I have been reading for myself with this deck using the spreads inthe book. I really like this deck A LOT!!! But since I have not been working with it for long - I guessI just wanted to know how others were reading with it? for self? for others? what is the experience with this deck -- any stories you want to share? what do you like about it the most? the least? anything basically....

How long have you been workin with this deck?

truthsayer

Dee (17 Aug, 2001 05:26):
Truth :
Actually, it is funny that you ask me if I've done my Totem animals yet. I discovered my Power Animal (Condor) in a Journey during a Core Shamanism weekend. i noticed that Condor is not in this deck - what shall I make of my totem animals on the left and right positions according to the spread? :)
DUH! i'm sorry but the brain reached a gridlock on that question. can you clarify? i have my book w/ me so i can look it up. thanks!

Dee 04

Truth:

I found the answer to my own question along the way... :)

I was referring to finding the nine totem animals. There are seven positions for seven animal. East, SOuth, West, North, above, Below, Within. THen the 2 estra positions in finding the Totem animals are left side and right side. I learned that these are or can be animals that are not necessarily in the deck. This helped me A LOT b/c one of those animals for me is the Condor (which is not in the deck). I felt relieved that this was still possible.
I do not know if I clarified it or made it more confusing. :)