Halloween Oracle by Stacey Demarco

greatdane

Decisions, Decisions, Madrigal :)

I understand. On the plus side, it's not that expensive. Samhain/Halloween is one of my most favorite times of the year. I have certain Lenormand and tarot decks I tend to use more. I thought how cool to have a Halloween-themed oracle as well.
Well, there's still time for me to ponder so I shall continue reading any opinions ATers wish to post :).

Ziev

I've been looking for a decent Halloween deck for awhile. I had no expectations. I do remember seeing it when it first came out and decided it wasn't for me and forgot about it. Then when I went to the store and saw it felt right to get and I forgot it was this deck that I looked at last year. I think because I had no expectations that really helped. I didn't think anything was wrong with this deck until I read the reviews here. lol. Sure, some other images might have been nice but overall it reads really really well for me and my clients.

In fact, I have a friend who is not into tarot or oracle but when I bring this deck to work she always wants to draw a card. It resonates with her and she has decided to get it too.

You know, if you do get this deck and it doesn't resonate with you it could be that you were meant to buy it for someone else. At least that is what I tell myself when that happens to me. =)

greatdane

Ziev you are a wondrous enabler!

It's great to read everyone's experiences with this deck.

Amanda

Hi Ziev (and greatdane)! :)

It's not a bad deck... as far as I can tell it reads pretty well. There are just some things that are not totally right on with this deck... like perhaps there wasn't a broad enough perspective overlooking this thing as a whole by the end of it to make sure it all fit together and was "full" and complete.

For instance, take a look at the Owl card and the Dawn card. I like the imagery on the Owl card and I'm good with it. In the LWB for Owl, the author talks about how nearly all owls are nocturnal and carnivorous... how they have special feathers to hunt at night, and stealth. This all follows my own line of thinking about owls.

However, when you look at the Dawn card, there is a big owl in the picture in front of the sun flying across the landscape. It doesn't make sense to me to have an owl in this imagery, especially since she also paints the darker imagery of owls for the Owl card -- moonlit, dark, stealthy hunters, etc. Why did she put this owl on the Dawn card??? Why is it so prominent and visually competitive with the actual Owl card???

In the Dawn card, she brings up how dawn has its share of the mystical since many magical creatures had to return to true form or go away at dawn, and she gives the werewolf as an example. However, since there IS a Werewolf card in the deck, why not link it to that imagery? Why not show us a man 'back to himself' with tattered clothes, etc. walking back out of the woods/wilderness in the picture towards a town or something?

Then someone also mentioned the lady in Joy doesn't look happy; I agree. She looks sarcastically "Yay" or ritualistic with a very serious look and intent to perhaps create more joy in her life. I don't really know, but it doesn't feel joyful.

Then for "Invisibility" -- that is not exactly the word I would choose for the meaning of 'authenticity' -- it comes across as maybe she meant "Transparency" rather than invisibility. She starts describing a Ghost (of which there is a card in the deck).

Then there is a random Winter card that doesn't make much sense -- an Autumn leaf in a snowy landscape calling for a 'pause'. A random Forgiveness card that shows a flower in someone's hand which talks about 'reducing burden'.. and a kind of random Ancestors card that shows greenery DNA in front of a tree. The Mummy also, is perhaps just a smidge too Egyptian-looking here, rather than Halloween-looking.

Visually speaking, these cards are some of the better ones that I like:

Black Cat
Hearth
Jack-O'-Lantern
The Lamp
NightSong
Scrying
Spider

I actually like the LWB in design. It's short and sweet and not as tiny/thick as most others. It is long and wide to fit snugly inside the box, but flat. I actually don't like LWBs with a lot to read because I'm impatient and I like to get right to the cards as quick as I can (so this was an easy, quick read for me to go through before getting to the cards). Most of the little poems are nice and well-formulated; some aren't and I think could be better/more clever. I don't like that the cards themselves don't fit snugly into the box. It's probably a good thing I don't use this deck to play catch and it stays tucked away in a drawer, otherwise the cards may get banged up from a lot of movement and sliding around inside. The box itself is a simple/typical 2-piece enclosure that is rather durable.

It's NOT a bad deck; it's just not as well formulated and 'put together' as it could have been, I think.

I paid 20-something dollars for it, it seems like it has gone down in price since then. I would say that an adequate selling price for it is likely something more like $12-$15. I'm not aware of any better Halloween oracle deck (that is, not tarot and not Lenormand) so this might be the best option out there for a Halloween oracle card set. It's not a bad buy, and it reads okay... there is just some discrepancy in the design and 'put-togetherness' of the deck as a whole.

Serenia

I still love my deck a lot! :love: Okay, it feels more like a deck for the winter half-year, but apart from that I use it for all kinds of questions. When I got the deck a year ago I didn't expect much, so I was even more pleasantly surprised. (Quite similar to what Ziev described.)
I have to admit though that I grew up without any kind of Halloween symbolism or festivities so that there is nothing I could miss specifically.

And I agree that the lady in the Joy card doesn't look very joyful. Personally, I interpret the card as describing this very discrepancy between truly feeling joyful and just pretending to, or expecting from myself to be joyful. I consider the card as food for thought in this regard.

greatdane

Amanda and Serenia

THANK YOU SO MUCH, AMANDA! I really appreciated you going into detail and sharing your thoughts and what worked better for you than other images. That's what I was looking for.

Serenia, Good to know this works for you and your thoughts.

I know in the end, it's either going to work for a Reader or not and sometimes we can overlook certain things and sometimes we can't.

It's so great to read experiences you've all had with this deck.

Ziev

greatdane & Amanda

greatdane,

Yes, I know I'm a great enabler. lol. But that is only limited to tarot and oracle haha.

Amanda,

After reading your post and then going back to look at the cards again I can totally see what you are talking about. So interesting! I think you are and others are spot on with the Joy card. She doesn't look joyful at all. And it would have been nice to have some links between the cards. I think your idea of a man in tattered clothing would have been cool! I also like the book because it is short and sweet. The rhymes are neat too.

I'm going to go over some of the other cards and see what I come up with. Find some kind of connection ie: the Owl and the owl in the Dawn card. I have an idea for this particular combo but I just got back from working 11 hours today and my brain is not quite functional at the moment. =) Maybe I should start, or look for one if its already been started, a study group for the cards. Even if one is not into the deck it would be nice to see ones opinions on each card who those own the deck.

Well, Im off to explore a few more posts and I'll see ya on the flip side. =)

Onion Budgie

For instance, take a look at the Owl card and the Dawn card. I like the imagery on the Owl card and I'm good with it. In the LWB for Owl, the author talks about how nearly all owls are nocturnal and carnivorous... how they have special feathers to hunt at night, and stealth. This all follows my own line of thinking about owls.

However, when you look at the Dawn card, there is a big owl in the picture in front of the sun flying across the landscape. It doesn't make sense to me to have an owl in this imagery, especially since she also paints the darker imagery of owls for the Owl card -- moonlit, dark, stealthy hunters, etc. Why did she put this owl on the Dawn card??? Why is it so prominent and visually competitive with the actual Owl card???

I had to take another look at these two cards. It seems to me that the owl may be fleeing the sun in the Dawn card. It's morning, the owl has finished its night shift, and it's now off home for a kip, allowing the new day to begin. As the card says, "The light after the darkness".

I'm with you on the Joy card. There's nothing remotely joyous about it; the lady looks thoroughly bored about holding her arms up.

I do enjoy the majority of the cards, though!

greatdane

It's now down to this one to add or Graven Images Oracle. Both seem fitting for Samhain especially. I DO like the images in the Halloween Oracle, it's whether I will read with it.