Card Meanings - WTH?

Xrysalida

As I understand from my short 3 year experience with tarot, they have a personality! They tell you what they want even if you ask for something else, i don't know how this is happening but they speak to each of us in a different lamguage maybe depending on our energy and personalities,
Example 3 amd 7 of swords, 4 of wands and 10 of pentacles come with a very different meaning fror me than the traditional one and many other examples.

It is frustrating sometimes the fact that there are so many meanings but I guess is part of the process of learning, connecting with our way with the cards and the divine or higherself (whatever each of us wants to think them), they are multidimensional we just get tune with the dimension we are more compatible.

BodhiSeed

Explanation in image:
https://www.charlestongardens.com/images/products/detail/2600.jpg
:laugh:
Seriously though, the meanings give us a foundation to build on. For me, sometimes the Hanged Man might represent a sacrifice, other times surrender or stagnation. Life is full of variety, and we all have different experiences. I like to be able to color outside the lines a bit, and not having every meaning set in stone allows me to do that.

Achlys

Not everyone reads the same books, no.
There are a lot of cards that have traditional meanings that people take into account, however every deck should be read from an individual point of view.

Most of the meanings I associate with my cards aren't the conventional meanings, and my readings still come out accurate.

It's simply a difference in reading styles and what people associate with each card.

Laurelle

Hanged Man also spins the illusion. He/She is a fantastic storyteller...

There are a variety of meanings to every card that mean something different to us.

Laurelle

but i understand what you mean....

For me (personally) when I read the 6 of cups I almost always interpret this as "children" being involved. There are a lot of people who believe this is a soulmate connection. It can mean both...Cards have a very "hanged man" principle. They require intricate understanding and storytelling. You will never stop leaning them.

werewolfmoon

The Hanged Man is one of my favourite cards, it has so many deep meanings. Dont forget that people read with differant decks, I have six so far and all portray the HM differantly.

Legacy of the Divine - A circus performer suspended by ribbon with coins falling out of his pocket.

Witches - A fool like character suspended from an endless tree, a raven holding a pentacle at his feet.

Night-Sun - A man dressed in rags with a cage over his head.

I see the HM as the still point at the centre of the storm, he waits passively for enlightenment, suspended happily, waiting.