Hopes and fears

mysticangel_001

Doing a reading that includes both hopes and fears for a potential relationship I got 3 Cups for hopes and 9 Cups for fears. Is that saying that the person hopes for a happy, fun, relationship with the quarent but at the same time they are afraid their "wish"will come true? This person sounds confused.

Moonage Daydream

My initial reaction for the 9 of cups is that this person likes doing their own thing and kind of is content with being single so fears losing that freedom. 3 of Cups-they want to continue having fun and a good time but I'm not so sure that necessarily points to a serious, committed relationship.

mysticangel_001

My initial reaction for the 9 of cups is that this person likes doing their own thing and kind of is content with being single so fears losing that freedom. 3 of Cups-they want to continue having fun and a good time but I'm not so sure that necessarily points to a serious, committed relationship.

Wouldn't the 9 Pentacles be more appropriate for being single and doing their own thing though?

Moonage Daydream

I think these cards have similar feels and yes that could be said of the 9 of pentacles but to me pents is more about material comfort such as pampering oneself and the cups is more about emotional comfort. I feel like the man in 9 of cups looks content with where he is sitting. I've never really interpreted this as a "wish" card as many do but(and I'm referring to the Rider Waite versions) I do think the grin on his face (which often seems kind of a smile of greed to me) implies that he all that he wants at the moment and is comfortable. So as a fear, I interpret that as someone fearing that they'll lose that. These are just my thoughts though and I'm still a beginner with reading tarot but that was my gut reaction especially when 3 of cups is depicted as the hope.

mysticangel_001

I think these cards have similar feels and yes that could be said of the 9 of pentacles but to me pents is more about material comfort such as pampering oneself and the cups is more about emotional comfort. I feel like the man in 9 of cups looks content with where he is sitting. I've never really interpreted this as a "wish" card as many do but(and I'm referring to the Rider Waite versions) I do think the grin on his face (which often seems kind of a smile of greed to me) implies that he all that he wants at the moment and is comfortable. So as a fear, I interpret that as someone fearing that they'll lose that. These are just my thoughts though and I'm still a beginner with reading tarot but that was my gut reaction especially when 3 of cups is depicted as the hope.

That makes sense I suppose. I have always viewed both cards are celebratory cards, time spent with family and friends.

Farzon

Doing a reading that includes both hopes and fears for a potential relationship I got 3 Cups for hopes and 9 Cups for fears. Is that saying that the person hopes for a happy, fun, relationship with the quarent but at the same time they are afraid their "wish"will come true? This person sounds confused.
It is one of the implications here, yes. I'd see it that way too, especially because a relationship is always accompanied by fear of giving up too much from oneself.

This brings me to the most important difference between these cards in my opinion: happy together vs. happy alone. So maybe your querent fears to lose their happiness. My first thought however was that they are afraid of being able to be happy alone - they wouldn't even need a relationship but this somehow does not fit into their worldview.

mysticangel_001

It is one of the implications here, yes. I'd see it that way too, especially because a relationship is always accompanied by fear of giving up too much from oneself.

This brings me to the most important difference between these cards in my opinion: happy together vs. happy alone. So maybe your querent fears to lose their happiness. My first thought however was that they are afraid of being able to be happy alone - they wouldn't even need a relationship but this somehow does not fit into their worldview.

Hmmm, good point. From what I understand this person usually goes from one relationship into another within a short period of time after the previous one ends, so yes, maybe they are afraid of being alone and finding out they COULD be happy that way.

jenessa

Sometimes the wish card can be about getting what you think you want, not necessarily what is best for you. So perhaps the querent "fears" that what their heart desires at the moment will not be best for them in the long term. & This way of viewing it seems to tie-in with what you were saying:
From what I understand this person usually goes from one relationship into another within a short period of time after the previous one ends.

Furthermore and given that that this card may appear @ a time when the querent is on cloud nine and feeling good about themselves, in the sense that they are happy in the moment, given their track record they might fear that their current state of happiness won't last.

Tanga

Maybe - they wish - but deep down/subconsciously - they don't believe they deserve it, or think wishing for the "happy clappy" is naive.
(that bar man or lady in the 9 of Cups, could listen everyday to everyone elses relationship stuff right? - on the one hand they may want one themselves, but on the other - they've seen what a drama it is in a million different ways).

mysticangel_001

Sometimes the wish card can be about getting what you think you want, not necessarily what is best for you. So perhaps the querent "fears" that what their heart desires at the moment will not be best for them in the long term. & This way of viewing it seems to tie-in with what you were saying:

Furthermore and given that that this card may appear @ a time when the querent is on cloud nine and feeling good about themselves, in the sense that they are happy in the moment, given their track record they might fear that their current state of happiness won't last.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I have been there myself. Gotten involved with someone that I thought would be wonderful and they ended up being a dud, or pervert or something.

Maybe - they wish - but deep down/subconsciously - they don't believe they deserve it, or think wishing for the "happy clappy" is naive.
(that bar man or lady in the 9 of Cups, could listen everyday to everyone elses relationship stuff right? - on the one hand they may want one themselves, but on the other - they've seen what a drama it is in a million different ways).

Funny you say that because I am a bartender and know EXACTLY what you mean here. LOL
And yes, listening to other people's complaints about their relationships definitely makes one not want to get involved in a relationship.