Nine cups as a challenge/ obstacle

Modasmile

Hi I've just completed a reading for myself about me and someone close. I won't quote the whole spread as I fully understand. However I pulled the nine cups as a challenge/ obstacle and I'm totally lost to what it's trying to tell me.

I always see the nine cups (gilded tarot ) as a happy card, wishes that come true. As an obstacle or challenge would it mean I have to make it come true or wishful thinking or it won't come true or the person in questions dreams have come true ?

Any help and views would be very helpful.

allec

It's possible the wish you want to come true is the obstacle--either by coming true, or by wanting something you shouldn't want.

Or perhaps it means that too much optimism is something you will have to overcome?

Modasmile

Hi thank you for taking the time to reply.
Umm an obstacle to what though ? my wish is to have him back in my life even as a friend. He's single so no wrong doings going on.
I'm just wondering how 9 cups would mean in the opposing position /challenge. My outcome card that followed was the two wands which is moving in the right direction.

samantha

It might be telling you that your friend is happy/content with his present single (9) status/way of life ? He currently has all that he needs - which *would* be an obstacle if true ?

Modasmile

Yes and it's wishful thinking on my part ?
Or maybe I get what I wished for but when I do ! it won't make me happy as I thought and not what I really wanted or thought it was going to be. Therefore my challenge is to let go of the wish and keep moving in the right direction (two wands) as outcome. What do you think ?

summeryjoy

Perhaps it means be careful what you wish for, for it is likely to come true.

On a more positive note, it might be, not a challenge, but rather an encouragement to let your wish take place. Perhaps there's a part of you that is resisting your own wish.

Modasmile

That's very interesting never thought of it like that. Never seen a negative side to the 9 cups even reversed which it wasn't. I'm thinking wishful thinking or maybe let the wish go it's a challenge but will be for the better maybe ?