Help Choosing an Oracle deck!

darkkittie099

Hello everyone ! :-D

I am writing because I need help choosing amongst four oracle decks. I have searched the forum for postings about these decks but I have not been able to really find what I am looking for. Let me first say what I am looking for:

I am looking for a deck that has book meanings that are general and can be applied to any situation you are asking about. I am not looking for a predictive deck but if it is that is also great. I really don’t want a fluffy deck. It can have nice, feel good meanings but not overboard feel good (Doreen Virtue). I want to leave a reading with answers and not more questions. I am going through a lot of problems right now and the last thing I want is more questions. I want to be able to have a sense of direction and a sense of knowing. I have researched high and low and I found the following 4 decks:

1. The Enchanted Map Oracle
2. The Wisdom of the Hidden Realms Oracle
3. Wisdom of Avalon Oracle
4. Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle

I know the first three decks listed are popular. However, I can’t seem to find in the forum the major differences between the three (in regards to how they read when you compare them). I do know that the Enchanted Map and the Hidden Realms do have Reversals which is great since I feel that makes the cards have more meanings in regards to your situation. I use reversals in my tarot practice and I feel they are great in showing blockages and where changes need to be made. However, if the Wisdom of Avalon oracle is just as good at showing those blockages then I am more than willing to consider it.

The Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle has beautiful artwork. I actually connect with this artwork more than the manipulated photograph art of the first two decks above. However, I own three other Lucy Cavindesh decks and find her decks very Wiccan (no offense to any Wiccans). I do follow a magickal path but it is not solely European (nor Wiccan). I have been able to adapt the meanings of those three decks to suit my spiritual path without difficulties and have had beautiful readings from them. I also feel that her decks are good in balancing the good and the bad without you feeling mentally depleted after a reading. I don’t connect with the Fae or know much about them. However, if the deck is really good I will consider it and adapt the Fae aspect like I have with her other decks. Is a connection with the Fae really necessary to use this deck? I also feel that this one might be the fluffiest of the bunch. Looks can be deceiving so I don’t want to discard it based on appearances. The keywords on all of the decks are great.

I have tried looking at divination blogs to see how these decks read but I know that most people mix in intuition with their readings (which is the way it should be). So I can’t differentiate between the reader adding in their own insights combined with the book meanings or if they are book meanings solely. I hope this last part makes sense since this is very important to me. I want a good, meaty book that will give me proper meanings if for whatever reason my intuition is not kicking in at the moment or I need help combining both my intuition and book meanings to form a proper cohesive answer.

Also, if there are any other oracle decks you guys suggest besides these 4, please feel free to recommend them. I am more than willing to research and find out more about them.

I am sorry for such a long post. I am truly thankful for any help. Best wishes to all!

-Darkkittie

Glass Owl

As for the four decks you mentioned I have them all. Here are some random thoughts about them in light of your topic.

- Of all Colette Baron-Reid's I personally have the hardest time connecting with her Wisdom of The Hiddlen Realms deck. Mostly because of all of the people cards that fill the deck. For some reason, it is hard for me to understand what they mean in relationship to the topic/question I am asking about.

- The Enchanted Map seems clearer to me. There are some people cards in this deck as well but they come across to me as more of energies or concepts that are easier for me to wrap my mind around. (Same goes for the fairy cards in the Wisdom of Avalon.)

- I really like The Wisdom of Avalon and yes, it doesn't have reversals. It is an approachable deck for me. It has a lot of animals which I personally enjoy too. I find it good for pointing out things and getting to point of the matter.

As with all of Colette's decks, they have chunky little guidebooks that are excellent. I purchased her Daily Oracle Card Reading course - and also subscribed to her videos where she picks three readings that subscribers have submitted and she goes through them, giving her taking on the cards and pointing on various things. The videos has been really helpful. Colette's way of teaching with her decks is to really encourage readers to use the guidebook card meanings and then help them see how they can apply the card's meaning to the topic/situation at hand (the second part is where you intuition can be helpful, in my opinion).

- As for the Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle, I think that it is a very beautiful and gentle deck. It comes with an actual book, it's 188 pages. It uses reversals although I don't think I have used it that way. My gut reaction is that if you don't really connect with fae energy, Lucy's style of writing, or are looking for something a bit more "concrete" the card meanings may feel a bit elusive to you.

- Lastly, I am going to throw two decks out there that may possibly fit what you looking for: The Psychic Tarot Oracle deck and Psychic Tarot for the Heart. They are very good (at least in my experience) with getting clear answers and working through issues. And don't let the name of the second one fool you. It may be called "for the heart" and it says it is about relationships but I have found it good for just about any topic and overall I think it is the stronger of the two decks.

Side Note: If you aren't interested in chakras you could always remove those cards from these deck but personally I think they are very helpful for pointing out blockages or areas of challenge.

Good luck! I hope this helped you in some way.

lark

Check You Tube For videos.
Then you can see them up close and hear what others have to say.
And may I suggest you check out the Earth Magic cards...my favorite oracle by far for the type of reading you are looking for.
Glass owl gave you a nice rundown.

Glass Owl

Check You Tube For videos.
Then you can see them up close and hear what others have to say.
And may I suggest you check out the Earth Magic cards...my favorite oracle by far for the type of reading you are looking for.
Glass owl gave you a nice rundown.

Ah, I totally forgot about the Earth Magic cards ~ that is a great suggestion! (I have the deck next to my bed so I can look at before bed.) I purchased those a few weeks ago when the price dropped on Amazon to $8. I wasn't expecting much and I was really delighted with it. On the surface the deck appears simple but as I work with it, I find it has depth to it. And it works well with a variety of situations and topics. I love the guidebook (160 pages) and I find myself just reading through it.

lark

Ah, I totally forgot about the Earth Magic cards ~ that is a great suggestion! (I have the deck next to my bed so I can look at before bed.) I purchased those a few weeks ago when the price dropped on Amazon to $8. I wasn't expecting much and I was really delighted with it. On the surface the deck appears simple but as I work with it, I find it has depth to it. And it works well with a variety of situations and topics. I love the guidebook (160 pages) and I find myself just reading through it.
I feel the same...I had almost given up on oracles...but this one has restored my enthusiasm for a good oracle deck.
The meanings in the book have real depth and connection to the life we actually live.
It sits beside my bed too...and I pull a card everyday.
I've been playing around with a few spreads to and it's working very well.
Take a look at it darkkittie099...you might like it.
Lots of reviews of it on You Tube.

darkkittie099

Thank you guys so much!

For the detailed and awesome replies! I am such a fool for not thinking about looking in youtube for sample readings and deck reviews smh. I am so used to following divination blogs that I always think of them as the holy grail of getting card info LOL XD. I will check out all three of the suggested decks on youtube and subscribe to Colette's channel. I have googled the Psychic Tarot for the Heart and already the images are calling to me. Funny, I was at a new age bookstore the other day and I saw the Earth Magic Oracle cards on display. I completely ignored it since I thought it was a deck of rituals! If I had known it was an actual oracle deck I probably would have checked it out.

I just have one more question, Glass Owl if you had to pick the Enchanted Map or Wisdom of Avalon Cards, which would you pick?

Thank you guys again! Much light and blessings :D.

Glass Owl

That's a tough call, but between those two decks I personally favor the Wisdom of Avalon. I have actually thinking about using it with the Earth Magic cards.

Of course, my hands down favorite deck of Colette's is the Wisdom of the House of Night cards. I have a large deck collection and it is my go to deck. Even my husband - who doesn't read - uses this deck and finds it easy to read and very helpful.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the particular videos I was talking about (where Colette pulls a few readings that were submitted and goes through them) is for those that complete her daily oracle course ($) and then subscribes (more $) for access to these reading help videos. But she does have an YT channel and posts some videos there too.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask away! I love talking about my oracle decks! I hope you also have a chance to tracks some YT videos of these decks, I think they will really help you.

darkkittie099

Thank you so much Glass Owl!

You have no idea how much your suggestions have helped me. I decided to get the Psychic Tarot deck (saw videos and it was love at first sight) and I can't wait to receive them<3. I added all 3 of Colette's decks and the Psychic Tarot for the Heart to my wishlist on Amazon. Youtube is DEFINITELY the way to go from now on in regards to Oracle decks. Maybe in the future I will take Colette's course. I love her energy and the way she explains her cards (from the weekly readings she does). Take care! Many light and blessings to you.

Best wishes,

Darkkittie

Glass Owl

You have no idea how much your suggestions have helped me. I decided to get the Psychic Tarot deck (saw videos and it was love at first sight) and I can't wait to receive them<3. I added all 3 of Colette's decks and the Psychic Tarot for the Heart to my wishlist on Amazon. Youtube is DEFINITELY the way to go from now on in regards to Oracle decks. Maybe in the future I will take Colette's course. I love her energy and the way she explains her cards (from the weekly readings she does). Take care! Many light and blessings to you.

Best wishes,

Darkkittie

I am so happy that I was able to help you! I think you will love the Psychic Tarot deck. Once I opened it, I knew I had to get the Psychic Tarot for the Heart deck. They are different enough and are very versatile.

All of Colette's decks are awesome and she is a great teacher.

EmpressArwen

I second Colette Baron Reid's decks...all of them. If you go to her website she has a spot where you can do free online readings for yourself. It will at least give you a good idea of what each deck is like.