The spiritual side of playing cards?

Phoenix Rising

Hi Joey

Yes the Joker has also had a bad rap in past with some methods, and often being left out, but you can guarantee that it's presence will be something out of the ordinary when it appears. I will look at those 7's a bit closer too....Having a pip in the middle of the path(6's) indicating a lesson or obstacle which needs to be learnt, another solution is often the case, because if you enter at the other end or exit there is a way in or out. I may take this into account when the Jokers appear in the layout. I will also start to look more at the elements. The spades for me is "Fire" and "clubs" is Air..The Heart in the shape of the uterus and the spade being the phallus, if you reverse the spade it becomes a heart when you tuck the tail inside itself. Therefore it makes perfect sense, spade being a Air as alot of people assign it, the same as swords in tarot just doesn't really fit the picture :heart: :spade:
Joey I would also like to see a reading with your new meanings.

Hi Pixie:
Yes playing cards has been around a very long time. There are many threads in oracle decks section that you can gain some more insight into the cards. Or just feel free to ask, we are all very happy to help.

Joermit

The 7s are interesting indeed... that "blockage" lol... in my new systems 7s are about secrets and mysteries and emphasize the need to learn something. basically, in order to move forward... again, trying to get into the spiritual side a bit more... a lil nuance I also use with my 7s... not necessarily looking at a reversal with em.. but look where the block in the path lies... I've found if it's toward the bottom of the card, it's an energy that comes sooner rather than later... if it's at the top, just the opposite... sorta a lil timing key there... so at the bottom, it could indicate things going on right now, or that very soon will... and at the top, it's more of a heads up, saying, hey, look what's on the way! dunno if anyone else does this, but it's something that occured to me months ago and I've found it to be fairly accurate... I'll post ya a quick reading on in the readings thread we have... sorry haven't been getting to em lately... very busy lately and tired most nights... seems I manage just to pop on here right before bed... head over there for a read!..thanks!

Joey

Phoenix Rising

Hi Joey,
Thanks for the little tip of the pip, being top and bottom in the 7's, I will make note of that. As you know, the 7 club is the one that can rap my brain a little.
Night time and first morning wake up seems to be the only time I have to have a look on here as well.

cardlady22

Magian Cardology/Astro-Cards viewpoint

I just thought I'd mention my favorite Card author, Iain McLaren-Owens. His research into tying astrological concepts with the original Mystic Test Book/Olney Richmond system did wonders for the way I looked at playing cards. Great 'food for thought' with developing your own meanings, etc.

I "play" with various seasonal/calendar relationships to give a Card for a specific day. You can also use the Sabian Symbol/zodiac degrees to get a "feel" for a card, based on the days of the year that get assigned the same card.

Bernice

Very interesting thread. Thank you for bumping it CardLady :)

I came to tarot after using playing cards for readings. Although I love many tarot decks, my preferred 'reading' deck is Playing Cards, along with certain Oracle decks.

It still amazes me that people seem to not know that the playing card emblems were derived from the Mamluk cards:

Hearts.......... = Cups/Chalices
Diamonds...... = Coins (From the Chinese, before the Mumluks)
Clubs............ = Polo sticks. (Not wands/batons)
Spades..........= Swords. (Actually those curved Scimtars)

So my (personal) meanings for the Suits arn't linked to elements or astrology.

Bee :)

cardlady22

social status/rank

I've been doing a lot of reading about medieval/Renaissance society and cultural standards lately. I have always loved going to Ren Faire! I've been looking into Geomancy (not the feng shui methods) as well, since reading Ana Cortes. (PCO)

Seeing the 4 levels of society is another 'window' into the suits. I can't remember the sources, but these are notes I have jotted down in my little book:
clergy, nobles/knights, merchants/vassals, peasants
(polo sticks)sport, (cups)sensuality, (coins)wealth, (scimitars)martial arts

Some other authors I am studying are Delle Fowler, Deborah Leigh(PP) and M.F. "Chance" Wyatt. Marthy Jones had an alternate Day Card map that got me looking at the change of the zodiac sign rather than the Gregorian month.

cardlady22

oops!

Sorry for the 2nd reply, but I found another little notation and can't remember where I ran across it (other than it was around the time I was looking at the Mayan Calendar/Oracle stuff)

Religion, Politics, History, Art
*someone said that dropping the 4th Court card from the Tarot was like shutting out Art from our lives- it sounds like a comment the Dreamspell people would make