How to get sticky "leavings" off agate?

MandMaud

For the residue from sticky tape, labels or similar, I usually use tea tree oil or another essential oil. I googled briefly and saw that cooking oil will do, so I suppose it's the oiliness.

I have a blue agate thumbstone that's been in a drawer for a few years, brand new still on its card, one of those "touristy" little presentation cards. I found it among my mother's things after she died and have never wanted to take it out until this evening, when I was really drawn to it so I removed the card and discovered it's been held all this time by a thin strip of sellotape across the front, and double-sided tape on the back.

I know you can't wash certain stones in water and I don't know how robust agate will be with oil or anything else. The goo from the double-sided is really gooey and I can't make any difference at all scratching with a thumbnail, and on the front there's a little "tidemark" from the tape that only shows with the light at certain angles. Am I safe to use cooking oil? Sounds trivial and silly but I'm really not into crystals and don't know anything of their chemistry. I just looked up blue agate and it relates to lots that are important for me at the moment, and I'd like to carry it for a bit.

Sibylline

I'm quite sure blue agate isn't water soluble so you shouldn't have a problem washing it. If it's polished, then you won't have to worry about water or oils damaging your stone.

Yep, it's about using oily stuff, so cooking oil should be fine. But I'd try using very warm water first to help scrape off the leavings.

I used to work in a bookstore and we'd use something called "Goo Gone" to get pesky price tags off of books. Another trick we'd use is a little bit of lighter fluid...works like a charm!

avalonian

I find alcohol is good for that so I use Bach Crab Apple Flower Essence as it contains alcohol. Removes the stickiness and cleanses the crystal energetically as well.

:) :) :)

MandMaud

Thanks, Sibylline and avalonian! After I went to bed, I felt I'd asked a really silly question. What's the worst i could do, need to buy a new thumbstone in one of those commercial-bandwagony dangly-earring shops? I think because it was my mum's and either she'd intended to give it to me, or she'd felt the need for what it says on the card: truth communication, calmness, wisdom, clarity. So I felt sentimental.

Yep, it's polished. I'll give it a soapy soak and then if still needed try a drop of oil. Hadn't thought of flower remedies - I have a drawerful (most of which were hers too! :)) - which will be gentler than essential oils and less messy than cooking oil. Back in an hour with an update. :)

I'm quite sure blue agate isn't water soluble so you shouldn't have a problem washing it. If it's polished, then you won't have to worry about water or oils damaging your stone.

Yep, it's about using oily stuff, so cooking oil should be fine. But I'd try using very warm water first to help scrape off the leavings.

I used to work in a bookstore and we'd use something called "Goo Gone" to get pesky price tags off of books. Another trick we'd use is a little bit of lighter fluid...works like a charm!

I find alcohol is good for that so I use Bach Crab Apple Flower Essence as it contains alcohol. Removes the stickiness and cleanses the crystal energetically as well.

:) :) :)

Darkmage

Agate is hard and very durable. I'd just use a drop of something like Goo Gone and then scrub it in either alcohol or warm water and dishwashing liquid. The oil breaks down the glue, then you need something that will break down the oil.

I usually have to remove price sticker residue from rocks and crystals when I buy them at shows.

gregory

nisaba always suggests eucalyptus oil at these times.

I use nail polish remover but I've never tried it on a rock.

MandMaud

I'd just use a drop of something like Goo Gone "
which must be oily?

and then scrub it in either alcohol or warm water and dishwashing liquid. The oil breaks down the glue, then you need something that will break down the oil.
For breaking down oil, de-greasing greasy things, my default is vinegar. That's what I meant to ask! Will the acid do any harm? I could stick with detergent.

I usually have to remove price sticker residue from rocks and crystals when I buy them at shows.
I think because it's been stuck to the tape for years (probably four or more), it's gone harder to remove.

nisaba always suggests eucalyptus oil at these times.

I use nail polish remover but I've never tried it on a rock.
I tend to eucalyptus oil too on the whole. If I own any nail polish remover, it is Somewhere In This House... here be dragons...

Darkmage

Huh, never tried vinegar. I don't think it would do any harm, esp. if it's just household vinegar. I like good old liquid dish detergent to degrease stuff.

Goo Gone is an oil-based cleaner, basically. http://googone.com/Home.aspx I'm not sure if it's available in the UK, but here in the US you can find it pretty much everywhere. It's great for removing things like adhesive residue and wax smears.

Damaging agate with chemicals is incredibly difficult as it's hard, dense, and resistant to most acids. It's used to make mortars and pestles to crush and mix chemicals, actually.

Basically unless you physically smash it, there's nothing in the house that's going to damage it getting the sticky stuff off. Don't drop it on a hard tile floor or throw it out a window. It can withstand pretty much everything else.

gregory

Goo Gone is an oil-based cleaner, basically. http://googone.com/Home.aspx I'm not sure if it's available in the UK, but here in the US you can find it pretty much everywhere. It's great for removing things like adhesive residue and wax smears.
No - in the UK you get to buy - "Sticky Stuff Remover" (I kid you not.) The only place I know you can be sure to find it is Lakeland. You'll know them, MM ? It's BRILLIANT.

tarotbear

GooGone is essentially citrus oils and smells mostly like orange oil.