Evernote, One Note, other electronic solution? Free or paid version?

Pam O

Yesterday I was going to download a test of Evernote, but there were SO MANY COMPLAINTS just posted by reviewers saying Evernote just eliminated the majority of the tools in the free version. Many reviewers said One Note free version is now the way to go. :?: (I am cool with paying, BUT I really would like a full trial to try first so I don't throw away $.)

For anyone using software for Tarot, are you using the free version of Evernote, or One Note by Microsoft, or different software? Or a paid version? Do you also use an electronic calendar, etc, to organize your life in addition to electronic Tarot entries?

I am drowning in paperwork, and I must find a new way to declutter and minimize debris, and organize my life while releasing the overwhelming amount of paper in my life. :joke: So, I am ISO a powerful way to easily organize Tarot spreads electronically so they are easily searchable, and accessible from any of my devices, computers, and best digital productivity software for general life organization...

Here are some quotes from a couple years ago in a Talking Tarot thread:
is evernote also free?
if it has both free and licence, is the free version any good?

Yes, AND it has a cell phone app too, that can be synced to the online one. So I can see my notes no matter where I go.

I use my Evernote for everything, I have so much in there. LOL

I believe you can upgrade to a fancier version if you ever wanted to, but I never did or saw any need to personally. The free one works fine for me.

Babs

Me too Babs... The free version is *EXCELLENT* as far as I can see all you get for the paid version is more online storage space if you use that as a back up. But I used it for ages offline without a problem, just had it local on my Mac.

If you do use Evernote Storm, there are some great posts about it on a thread here about Tarot Journaling.. there are a few Evernote experts here!!

I'm another person who loves Evernote. You can set it to be on your computer(local) only, but syncing to your account online is wonderfully convenient. I have separate "notebooks" for tarot, Lenormands, astrology, recipes, fitness, etc., and I can easily access them from my computer, tablet, or phone. Or online on someone else's computer if I log in. You can install an extension in your web browser that will allow you to easily grab stuff off the internet and stick it in one of your notebooks, too. I adore Evernote and highly recommend it. I use the free version which allows you a very generous monthly amount of uploads to your account. I use it a ton and have never run out of room.

From what I remember, the main advantages of the paid version are a) unlimited uploads each month, and b) the ability to have notebooks available for offline use on your mobile device. (With the free version, to access your notes on your mobile you need an internet connection.)

TinySpark

what are you looking to organize?

google docs is free and accessible on every device that has internet. I use it a lot for work and school and personal stuff. you can even upload excel spreadsheets.

danieljuk

Pam this is a comparison table of the versions of Evernote here. I use it all the time for my divination and tarot notes and readings and I have full use with the free version. Things which might be limiting on the free version: you can only upload to their back up / sync service 60mb a month on the free version, I have readings written up on there and notes with many photos attached to the posts and never made it over 20mb in a month! you cannot search within attached pdf files on the free or email evernote with the emails going into your folders. There is limits on the number of notebooks (folders) and tags you are allowed on the free version but it's 250 notebooks! I am on 4! :) The pro versions also have a history of your files, in case you want to revert and downloading offline to mobile devices. The free version lets you download offline only on the desktop version.

Last year my mobile operator gave me a years free pro version of Evernote as a customer reward and the only thing I miss from it is that at the bottom of your notes, it suggests "other notes" from your saved ones. So if I did a celtic cross reading and tagged it as that, at the bottom it would show past celtic cross readings by me. That is quite useful! There was no other features I miss that applied to me!

However you can easily try the free version of Evernote with it's functionality! or try any of the others, work out what you love the most! :)

justagirl

Yesterday I was going to download a test of Evernote, but there were SO MANY COMPLAINTS just posted by reviewers saying Evernote just eliminated the majority of the tools in the free version. Many reviewers said One Note free version is now the way to go. :?: (I am cool with paying, BUT I really would like a full trial to try first so I don't throw away $.)

For anyone using software for Tarot, are you using the free version of Evernote, or One Note by Microsoft, or different software? Or a paid version? Do you also use an electronic calendar, etc, to organize your life in addition to electronic Tarot entries?

I am drowning in paperwork, and I must find a new way to declutter and minimize debris, and organize my life while releasing the overwhelming amount of paper in my life. :joke: So, I am ISO a powerful way to easily organize Tarot spreads electronically so they are easily searchable, and accessible from any of my devices, computers, and best digital productivity software for general life organization...

Here are some quotes from a couple years ago in a Talking Tarot thread:

Hi Pam! I can't compare to Evernote as I've never used it, but, I'm a HUGE fan of One Note. I use it for EVERYTHING! And I have it synced with 2 phones, an iPad mini and my laptop with no synch issues at all!
(Cripes, I didn't realize how "connected" I was until I listed all my electronics! I swear all but 1 phone is work related!)

AnemoneRosie

I've been using Evernote for three years. I LOVE it. So I'm biased. I'm also of the opinion that it takes a long to time to build software (I live with a developer) and I don't mind paying for my tools. Most of my paid readings go toward buying things, like Evernote, that help me out.

Nemia

I'm with AnemoneRosie here - Evernote is such a great tool that I don't mind paying for it. I use it for work (I can't even start to explain how helpful it is for my job!), for organization of all kinds of information. I have more than 10.000 notes by now, all of them formatted nicely and organized like nearly nothing else in my life LOL

It's my tarot information center, too. I have a tarot notebook with lots of sub-notebooks: spreads, decks, journal, tarot history, card meanings, tarot books etc. I have it all at my fingertips, nice and organized.

I used to love OneNote but after I got used to Evernote, I can't go back again. OneNote is much less flexible than Evernote.

Think about the money you pay for other things. I can understand that the people who made Evernote and continue to develop it want to earn money.

If you pay for it, learn to use it properly to get its full worth. Use Clean to copy things from the Internet, make use of all the features Evernote has. I really don't know how I managed before ;-)

NO they don't pay me to plug it.

daphne

If you pay for it, learn to use it properly to get its full worth. Use Clean to copy things from the Internet, make use of all the features Evernote has. I really don't know how I managed before ;-)

NO they don't pay me to plug it.

If I did not use it, I would after your post. :) Still, after reading your post I use it now with even more pleasure, that I know there are more of us.

Thanks for the "clean" idea, I did not use it until now.

TinySpark

However you can easily try the free version of Evernote with it's functionality! or try any of the others, work out what you love the most! :)

So I just had to try Evernote after all these glowing reviews. And WOW, I can't believe just how easy it is to use. No uploading attachments, simply snap them from your self phone or drag them from your desktop into your note... And using tables with photos of individual tarot cards to make pics of readings and spreads you have done. soo much easier than drawing them into a notebook or at least more legible for me. heh!

I am in a bit of a technology overload!!! But the good kind! :D thanks daniel, I was skeptical, but I forked over the money for the full version so I could upload more pictures. Thanks Thanks Thanks!

daphne

A question about evernote privacy. Is there yet implemented the feature to password protect particular notebooks?

TinySpark

I have Evernote for personal use and OneNote for my work and school. OneNote has the feature you are talking about, to put a password on a particular notebook. But, it is more necessary with OneNote than Evernote since OneNote is like Word or Excel on the desktop. You just click on the icon and it opens. You can password protect OneNote notebooks individually, so that they can ONLY be opened by those with the passcode. hmm. I just tried to do this and all it did was lock the notebook from being changed, not viewed. Will have to figure this out ;b

While Evernote on mobile devices can be protected as a whole. You can password protect EVERY time you open the application. But you have to pay for at least evernote plus to get that feature. Otherwise on your mobile devices the application will just open and anyone can access your notebooks.

On the converse, you can share individual notebooks using Evernote as well, but I think that they have to have an evernote account as well.

I like one note because it is on my desktop, but I have so many different microsoft accounts for work, school, and personal use it would be too easy to accidentally save work stuff in my tarot journal. haha or vice versa. lol. not a mix up I am willing to make since it is like my diary. That's one of the main reasons I use Evernote.