Fairy Lights Tarot

lalalibra

I don't own this deck, so I'm not sure if I'm the best person to answer... However, I know someone who has this deck, so I've gotten a closer look at the entire deck in person. I've also had them do a couple readings for me using the deck.

So, all I can really do here is give my first impressions, but I think it's a deck that certainly works very well for intuitive readings which stem from the image alone more-so than any traditional meanings (and I think that's especially true with the Minor Arcana in this deck more than with the Major Arcana... although even the Major Arcana has some fresh perspectives on the cards). It's a very unique deck and it's very refreshing for that reason. Great for if you're looking for something different. The cards have a very mysterious, ethereal quality to them and I could see many layers of meaning within many of the images. I imagine that some of the cards would require a lot of pondering/meditation to unlock the meanings that you'd personally find in it -- which is a very good thing if you ask me!

Anyway, that's my take. I've got this deck on my wishlist. It's truly beautiful! :)

Hopefully someone else who has more experience with actually reading with the deck will chime in soon and add their opinions on their long-term use of it.

December_Empress

I'm on my second week with this deck. I wasn't sure if I'd like it; I totally love it.
I have only used the LWB once or twice, and that was just to look up card titles (e.g. the titles of the Court cards) because I write down my readings every day. The LWB is fine, but not especially comprehensive. For the Majors, there is a brief (one to two sentence) description of the card followed by a short meaning (also one sentence). The minors just have meanings (one sentence). The Court cards have a one-sentence description of the personality of the person in the card.

For example:

Strength: A fairy man tries to tame a great bear, each using their own Strength to win the battle of wills. Meaning: Use your strengths and gifts wisely, without domination or cruelty.

2 of Wands: You seem to be coming close to achieving a goal, but make sure it is the one you want and not a tempting illusion.

Knave of Chalices (Page of Cups): One who brings a message of true love, tempered with steadiness and responsibility.

In the Majors, Justice is VIII and Strength is XI. None of the cards are titled. The Minors and Court cards have identifying symbols and numbers.
This deck is great for intuitive readings. Personally I find the images dream-like rather than fairy-like.
The backs appear to be reversible, but I'm not sure that they are completely identical when upside down (looks like there might be a slight variation, but you'd have to really look to see it; or maybe I just need bifocals). There aren't any meanings for reversed cards in the LWB. For some reason I'm beginning to think that this deck does not like to be read with reversals (maybe a weird personal opinion, but I get that feeling with certain decks sometimes).

This deck has been talkative (so to speak) and accurate for the two weeks I've been using it. The readings have been a bit better each day.
It's also easy for me to shuffle (great for those of us with small hands).

Briar Rose

What a good review.

Do the cards actually show a different scene, or do they open up a scene to show a complete scene? How does the layering work?

December_Empress

I was just using my deck and need to correct my previous post re: reversals. The backs actually aren't reversible. You can call them "somewhat reversible" and use them that way if you don't really look; but once you look at them closely you'll be able to tell an upright card from a reversed card by just looking at the back.

December_Empress

What a good review.

Do the cards actually show a different scene, or do they open up a scene to show a complete scene? How does the layering work?

I haven't used the layering yet, but the cards are all done in a way such that it is easy to combine them together into a coherent scene. I imagine that this effect is even more impactful once you use the embedded layering. Looking forward to working with that once I have more time.

Starshower

I love the idea of this deck, with all its mysteriousness (like the Secret Forest - although I had to trade the latter away, sadly, because the insectiness made me itch and come up in a rash, like when I see bees or ants swarming ... such a shame that I can't help my reaction. I was so sad because I really wanted to use it.)

Anyway, I have a question about the Fairy Lights. On the scans here on AT it looks blurred and out of focus. Is it, please, in the 'flesh'? My eyesight isn't the best any more - but even with my glasses on, I found it hard to actually see the details properly online.

Could someone - Le Fanu maybe - reassure me that although misty & mysterious, the pictures are clearly delineated?

Hemera

On the scans here on AT it looks blurred and out of focus.
Does it? Do you mean here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/fairy-lights/
Errr...I scanned the pictures for Solandia. My scanner is new and good but my skills probably aren´t [...blush...]
Is it, please, in the 'flesh'? My eyesight isn't the best any more - but even with my glasses on, I found it hard to actually see the details properly online.
The cards are made from original paintings, of course, so some details are meant to be obscure. But the card pictures are clear and good. The deck is the usual excellent LoS quality.

Starshower

Thanks for the reply, Hemera. I'm sorry to cast aspersions at your poor innocent scanner (or worse, at you) - for just doing your jobs ... I'm sure very well too. It must be my eyes then. I have 'cornea farinata' besides middle-aged long-sight, and things are looking more blurred lately. :(
Some very stark, bright, sharp decks look clear, though no longer the mistier ones.
Many thanks. I'll p'raps get some stronger glasses.

Mythic Silence

I'm just popping in to say that I really enjoy this thoughtful and beautiful deck. I had so much fun finding each image's match. I voted for it as my favorite deck this year. It offered something fresh, daring, and inspiring.

I think it's unfortunate that it didn't get the borderless-special-box-and-book treatment that other releases got this year. When it comes down to it, I think the kind of "bow" that the publisher puts on the package means a lot. Decks with a standard tuckbox sometimes fade into the background when other decks get more press and love. I think the Fairy Lights really warranted a borderless version at the very least - it makes sense for the nature of the deck. I would have loved a companion book that explored the card pairings in more depth too. That's just my opinion though. :)

Briar Rose

In the beginning there was a lot of questions about whether a certain version of the deck was coming with a book. It was confusing. I wish it had a book!

Looking at the lovely scans of the cards, could someone tell me why it wasn't borderless?

Does every image match up to make another picture, or only certain cards go together?