Recommended Deck for a Novice?

Rubycon

I always recommend the Mythic as a great novice deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mythic/

Duly noted. Thanks :)

Yes! Someone who's going with their gut on deck purchases, right from the get go! I love it :D

The first deck that I got that was easy for me to read was the Tarot of the Hidden Realm, which operates primarily with close-ups on faces and body posture. For some reason, I knew it would all click after I read with it, and sure enough, it did. :love: It's not a recommended one "for beginners," but heck, whatever speaks to you :)

Your taste seems very ethereal. I dig it.

Thanks! I owe it to all researching Thelema and the like. This is all happening so fast, just yesterday I was searching for a book, came across a tarot deck and thought "yes...why not?" Now here I am in here knowing nothing about it willing to turn a room in my house into a dedicated room for tarot! Is there a thread I can go to to talk about set and setting, accessories and such?

feynrir

Thanks! I owe it to all researching Thelema and the like. This is all happening so fast, just yesterday I was searching for a book, came across a tarot deck and thought "yes...why not?" Now here I am in here knowing nothing about it willing to turn a room in my house into a dedicated room for tarot! Is there a thread I can go to to talk about set and setting, accessories and such?
There may well be one or a few existing already, but none I've seen recently. If you were to start your own thread with more specific questions about that though, I'd put it in the "Talking Tarot" section of the forum :)

Le Fanu

One that never gets mentioned but which I always think would be a great beginner´s deck (I wish it had been around when I was starting) is the aptly named Intuitive Tarot by Cilla Conway.

It has a decorative, Thothy feel to it but is RWS. The Book is excellent - the whole kit is very reasonably priced and I really do think it is an easy deck to read with. Looks and feels like a tarot deck should - not at all dumbed down - and yet has enough seriousness for those who want to go deeper...

Rubycon

One that never gets mentioned but which I always think would be a great beginner´s deck (I wish it had been around when I was starting) is the aptly named Intuitive Tarot by Cilla Conway.

It has a decorative, Thothy feel to it but is RWS. The Book is excellent - the whole kit is very reasonably priced and I really do think it is an easy deck to read with. Looks and feels like a tarot deck should - not at all dumbed down - and yet has enough seriousness for those who want to go deeper...

Wow I like that one a lot! What does the back side look like? Is it reversible?

Le Fanu

Need to check. I know it's purple and symmetrical. I think you wouldn't know if it is reversed; is that what you mean?

Shade

One thing I would like everyone to know is I am very nostalgic. I like the older as opposed to more modern in anything art, music, decor etcetera. So when I noticed some of the older decks they immediately caught my eye.

I am keen to the Thoth Deck (I collect first print Aleister Crowley novels) and I have never seen the cards before until yesterday. I really love the art and the concept of that deck. I also noticed it is very popular here too.

Since you like Crowley, the Thoth is a wonderful option. It's not simple per se but if you pick up Lon Milo DuQuette's Understanding the Thoth book or Angeles Arrien's Tarot Handbook you will be well on your way to success.

Bearing in mind that you prefer nostalgia I would stick with either the Rider Waite, the Morgan Greer, or the Aquarian. Most beginner Tarot books focus on this style of deck and most other readers you encounter will be familiar with interpreting these decks. I really wouldn't take on the Osho just yet, it's its own system and people love it but it's not going to give you the general intro to Tarot that the others will.

Rubycon

Need to check. I know it's purple and symmetrical. I think you wouldn't know if it is reversed; is that what you mean?

The back of the card's design in relation to rotation; looks the same regardless of how the card is turned, lengthwise that is, as opposed to the Cross on the back of Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot.

Since you like Crowley, the Thoth is a wonderful option. It's not simple per se but if you pick up Lon Milo DuQuette's Understanding the Thoth book or Angeles Arrien's Tarot Handbook you will be well on your way to success.

Bearing in mind that you prefer nostalgia I would stick with either the Rider Waite, the Morgan Greer, or the Aquarian. Most beginner Tarot books focus on this style of deck and most other readers you encounter will be familiar with interpreting these decks. I really wouldn't take on the Osho just yet, it's its own system and people love it but it's not going to give you the general intro to Tarot that the others will.

Okay I will look into those. I got a mini Rider deck today from a guy I work with. I will probably just use it for reference because I don't like the smaller cards. I did see a video of a guy using giant Rider-Waite deck last night and it was really good! Oh, he also mentioned this forum too!