Minchiate usage

full deck

I started a few months ago working with the Minchiate Fiorentine (Solleone) and am really feeling this deck well, for example, I just did a one card reading for myself and saw the card seated opposite me, *before* I pulled it.

I've printed out the deck, in color and keep this by my desk so that I might become more familiar with the different style of imagery therein. I have taken the zodiac cards out and reserve their use for time specific purposes and then separately from the main deck. Regarding the four virtues, I consider "Faith" as the "Heriophant" and the other three virtues as what they represent (literally). I refer to the four element cards as by their corresponding suits in Tarot -- wands/fire, water/cups, Earth/penticles, Air/swords and consider them as referring to the general tendency of each suit within the context of the spread and question. Obviously "The World" and "fame/judgment" is pretty much Tarot.

Other than that, I stick closer to Tarot in usage though I do not adhere to any strict use of numerology in the majors.

Is anyone else working with this style Tarot deck other than Diana and if so, how is it working for you?

Moonbow

Hi full deck

I would be interested in knowing how you got to know your deck. Mine is the Etruria and so far I'm comparing it to the Brian Williams deck and book and just looking at the cards - that's as far as I've got. I find the pips very interesting - the little pictures on some of them. Are you still doing the card a day?

full deck

It's simple

I went into this site (http://www.tarot.org.il/Minchiate/Trumps.html) that has the entire majors for the minchiate laid out and printed this out onto two sheets, which I keep on my desk. This way I got to look at the imagery each day. I was seeing some of these cards in my mind's eye before having gotten them though (strangely enough but true).

So far, this has been one of my most productive decks to read with. I'm at a loss to explain it, considering how much I like others decks, but this one works well. I shuffle this deck more slowly because it is larger, thus easier to drop cards.

Moonbow

I suppose really then, I am doing a similar thing. This is the one deck that I actually sit at a table with. I spread them all out in front of me and just look at them. At first, it was to put them all in order because they came in 3 parts and all were mixed up - even the two title cards were in the middle somewhere!

I then compare them with the Williams cards - which I actually like - but, I do this because some of his pictures are a little clearer and it helps me to identify some things in the Etruria deck.

I hope this becomes a good reading deck for me, I have done one reading which was a small practice - but I still need to get to know the cards more before I'm 'let loose' with them. They are certainly on my mind alot - even while asleep. This sometimes happens to me with decks that have a little more to them.

I'd like to know how you approach the Zodiac, Element and Virtue cards - if you have time can you look at my reading in Your Readings and tell me what you think?

Thanks Moonbow*

full deck

More about what I do with it

As I had posted before, I hold the zodiac cards out since, at this point in time, my attitude towards seeing does not include forecasting by zodiacial qualities. I know one other person that holds these cards aside and uses them for time specific purposes only.

I use "faith" to represent the Hierophant (since it is missing) as well as the virtue "faith" and use the remaining virtues as special cards in the regular Tarot scheme of things.

The elements I refer to as by their corresponding suits in Tarot -- wands/fire, water/cups, Earth/penticles, Air/swords and consider them as referring to the general tendency of each suit within the context of the spread and question.

As for layout, I use a special layout for this deck. I read at a low bench, much like the magician's workbench and visualize an agent or guide from the deck who will pick cards for me and determine the number of cards as well as if they are reversed or not. When I visualize, may start with projecting myself, other times, I get some of the actual figures from the cards opposite me and, when that happens, I seem to *pick* the actual card from the deck (wild, humm?). I envoke God first when opening the deck and after I have framed a proper question. The figure opposite me points or guides my hand to specific cards from the deck, which I have fanned out in front of us both. Once picked, I may see the card reverse or not. Sometimes, I don't know how many cards I will pick, the guide may simply stop. I do treat the minors more like how one might consider the minors in the Marseilles deck -- by numerical qualities and the relationships formed within the spread and position and progression.

Moonbow

Thankyou for sharing how you use your cards. I've always thought these would be good for meditation, and reading what you said makes me want to give it a try. There's just so much I want to do with these cards!

I would like to leave the zodiac cards in the pack even though it makes things a little more difficult at the learning stage. I know little about astrology which is why I thought I would keep it all very simple but I feel the deck wants to be used complete. I don't know if that makes sense but I will go with it for the time being.

It would be interesting to know how other people get on with this deck also.

full deck

Other folks

Oddly enough, there are not very many others that work with the minchiate, other than Diana and then she treats it more like an oracle deck, whereas I treat it like a Tarot deck.

It would be good to discuss certain things about it like the odd imagery of the "Tower" or why our hanged guy is holding bags, why the fool is different from the Marseilles versions, etcetera.

You might want to try the Solleone version since it is cleaner versoin and not blotchy-looking as others. http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/ has the Solleone version. They are uncoated with square corners but they are nice enough and it uses spot colors, which is more to my liking than a muddy 4-color reproduction of something else. The spot color treatment helps place the style closer in artistic treatment to the Marseilles decks as well.

Moonbow

hhmmm....now you've got me looking at all the minchiate's. Bad bad fulldeck......

There seem to be two by Solleone and two Fiorentine - I don't actually dislike any of them although I see what you mean about the sharpness of the one you have. It is very Marseilles like - but - I like mine. It's gelling with me now - maybe later I can invest further...

I've just been looking through the thread 'what do you have in your collection' and there are a few closet minchiate owners - maybe they need a bit of persuasion? It would be interesting if a number of us could use various minchiate versions.

Khatruman

Moonbow* said:
I've just been looking through the thread 'what do you have in your collection' and there are a few closet minchiate owners - maybe they need a bit of persuasion? It would be interesting if a number of us could use various minchiate versions.
*softly whistling* Hmmm, closet Minchiate owners??? Wonder who they could be? })

Moonbow

Hi Khatruman

Just supposing you were one of these closet Minchiate owners........just supposing!...... how would you use them?

M* :)