The Lovers: A Hand On Cupid's Ass?

Centaur

Emily said:
Hi Centaur,

I don't think its a hand, its Cupid's quiver of arrows.

Edited because there is something written on the quiver case and I can't see what it says - can anyone else see writing on it?

Sitting here with a magnifying glass, the large none-green Thoth and I still can't make out what it says, and I can see the writing now lol - I need a coffee :D

Emily,

Thanks! I miss out on tiny details, because I have a standard-sized Thoth and I don't have a magnifying glass.

I guess I just got sex on the brain today or something. LOL.

Emily

Hi Centaur,

I was used to the standard size Thoth too until I took the plunge and ordered what I hoped wasn't going to be another green version from US Games - I wasn't disappointed, this large deck is a joy to use but I must admit I've done more studying with it than reading with it - Infact after seeing writing on the quiver I'm now taking a look at other cards with details that you can't really make out. :)

Centaur

Emily,

I must admit that I would love to have the large-sized Thoth. There are so many small details in this deck... like the word, 'abrahadabra' inscribed on the Chariot abover the Charioteer.

Also...

I just noticed that the Priestess is holding a harp and an arrow. I have Duquette's book to thank for that observation.

Oh, and if I had a larger sized Thoth, I would not have to worry about mistaking a quiver of arrows, for someone trying to catch a cheap feel of Mr Cupid's behind.

Emily

Hi Centaur,

I bought my large Thoth from Amazon UK for £10.44 only a couple of weeks ago - I was, and still am, convinced they have the price wrong. I paid nearly £16.00 from Amazon for my standard sized one, and I know the large size Muller Thoth is more expensive still.

The ISBN for the large one is :- 0-87728-452-0

Whether Amazon still thinks its the unpopular and fuzzy green tinted version I don't know but I think this version will rival the Muller version - its slightly more vibrant than the standard size Thoth and also alot cheaper than the Muller version.

Just thought I would post this because I have the green tinted large Thoth too and took a chance and ordered this one on the strength of the reviews that had been posted on Amazon about the colour.

Centaur

Emily said:
I bought my large Thoth from Amazon UK for £10.44 only a couple of weeks ago - I was, and still am, convinced they have the price wrong. I paid nearly £16.00 from Amazon for my standard sized one, and I know the large size Muller Thoth is more expensive still.

The ISBN for the large one is :- 0-87728-452-0

Thank you for sharing that Emily! I might just treat myself!

Frequency

On the topic of The Lovers

I would like to know why Cupid is blindfolded.
Is that a traditional portrayal of cupid?

I suppose he is suggesting that love is blind?

Centaur

From the Book of Thoth, by the Crowled One: :)

'He carries a bow and arrows in a golden quiver. (He is sometimes represented with a torch.) He has golden wings, and is blindfolded. From this, it may appear that he represents the in telligent (and, at the same time, unconscious) will of the soul to unite itself with all and sundry, as has been explained in the general formula with regard to the agony of separateness.'

What I pick up from this is that the blindfold may reflect the inward focus of love. Love as a personal, subjective experience?

Anyone else shed any light on this?

Phoenyx*

You know, in horseraces, they use blinders on the horses so they don't get distracted by outside influences (other horses, jockeys, etc.). Perhaps the blindfold represents how love is blinded to outside influences, such as society's standards?

Lemurian

The inscription on the quiver makes me think of "Love is the Law, Love under Will".