Anyone like the green Thoth?

QDaniTeasieL

I don't have a Thoth (yet, hopefully), but I've heard so much about the green tinge that's on the US Games edition that bothers alot of readers (I don't like green either), that was making me wonder.

Does anybody actually like the green? I mean, this "version" is still around, and hasn't really been fixed yet, has it?

Rusty Neon

QDaniTeasieL said:
I mean, this "version" is still around, and hasn't really been fixed yet, has it?

The large size Thoth deck in the green U.S. Games box until the last year or so came with the green tinge cards. The new stock large size Thoth deck in the green U.S. Games box now comes with the same, large non green-tinged cards as come with in the blue AG Müller box. Depending on whether the U.S. Games green box deck is old stock or new stock, you will or will not get the green tinge cards. I recently bought the new stock and therefore have the non green-tinge cards.

The ISBN on the U.S. Games green box remains unchanged. Therefore, the only way to tell if it's old stock versus new stock is to go to the store and take the sealed cards out of the cardboard box (with the merchant's permission, of course), keeping the cellophane intact but look to see if the top card in the sealed pack has the green tinge or not. That's what I ended up doing at the store. :)

Annabelle

I deliberately bought a green-tinged copy of the large Thoth, and I really like it. True, the colors are brighter on my smaller Thoth. But to me, the real advantage of the green tinge is that it makes the keywords (or card titles, or whatever you want to call them) much, much less obvious and noticeable.

I'd actually bought the green-tinged copy (on eBay) because it was much cheaper than the more recently printed copies, and I was looking for a deck to trim, so I didn't want to spend much in case the trimming didn't turn out well. But then I realized, happily, that trimming wouldn't be necessary because the keywords are printed in green, on a green background...I really don't see them unless I'm looking for them.

And honestly, the green tinge doesn't bug me. I think it makes some of the cards look really cool. In any event, it doesn't distract me.

Parzival

Anyone Like The Green Thoth?

I have the muted/green Thoth, along with the bright/clear one. I prefer the back of the green one- the back is really amazing - because it has no white borders. The toned down coloration of the green one is appealing to me, like cool jazz versus heavy metal (joke). Words and colors aren't so bold and brash. On the other hand, the AG Muller is the powerhouse Thoth that shakes and awakens with its full-force electricity. So, one's more yin and one's more yang. Both are Universes.

Emily

I also have the green tinged Thoth and I'm not overkeen on it. I think the green washes out details. My version is an older one and some of the cards are blurry. When I bought my new non-green Thoth the colours and details really stood out, it seemed like a different deck.

I also think the shade of green used on the green-tinged Thoth is unpleasant to look upon, but that might just be me.

Lillie

I have the green one. It also came in the white OTO box from the late 70s to about 2000 (at least)

It is my favourite for the following reasons.
Cos I learned with it and it's what I am used too.
It has the red and black hexagram (the best card ever made!)
No white borders on the back

I have never actually owned one of the Muller decks. (or one of the other non green variants)
But I have seen them. They are bright, right enough, but they look odd to me.
Just years and years of looking at the green one, I suppose.

I think that it is very hard to get the green now. Only avaliable second hand, On ebay it is now being called 'rare' and 'vintage'!

I have heard, though don't quote me, that there is a non green but still not so bright Thoth out there.
I don't know anything about that, but I have seen it mentioned here on AT.

Goldenhair

There were two reasons I picked the Thoth:

1. The large cards are the perfect size for my hands.

2. I liked the green borders. I own several shirts and sweaters that are a close match.

Breathhh

I like them. I prefer the regular thoth. I have six thoth decks. 1 small, 3 early 70s. I bought a 1969 deck from a woman in New zealand 4 years ago.I have an 80ish one I use freguently, and then the one I use most of the time which I have... yes I did it. cut the borders off. Anyone else do that? Do you still think you can like me for doing that? <she said with a glint in her eye> I had to. I was compeled cause the words got in my way. and... the words are fine sometimes.
peace...in thothness
breathhh

prudence

I removed the borders from my Thoth deck also, and am very pleased with the results as well.

donnystordock

I think that everyone has covered all the great things about it except one. The green was made on a much better stock. They are more durable.Not having the white border makes the Rose Cross larger. To me that means more power. It's the oldest deck I have unfortunately. I do admit that the colors are nicer on the AGM version but it is still a wonderful deck.