The history tarot - historic events collection

Arania

I've started a new project for private use - a deck composed of historic events since photography was invented. Now I need ideas from several continents because I am sure to forget some important events/people otherwise.

I'm currently searching pictures relating the dark times of apartheid in SA and segregation in the US. Other things I'd like in are the opression of natives in different countries, several key pictures from wars and terrorism (911 will be the tower), political changes, natural catastrophees, well known crimes etc.

So if you can think of an event that should be in such a deck, let me know.

This deck might have more than the traditional 78 cards, mainly because my other half and me have become used to do different sized decks. I'm not sure about it yet.

fall_guy

Wow!! This sounds like a fascinating project.
A few months ago there was a thread on what new decks people would like to see, and I mentioned that I'd love to see one based on world events/history. It's such an obvious, and yet overlooked theme for a tarot deck.

Off the top of my head, how about one of the NASA shots of the earth seen from the moon for The World? It probably a bit obvious I suppose, but it might be a good metaphor for human attainment and reaching a goal?

Arania

Obvious is actually good in this case, as there should be a connection to traditional card meanings. Yup, I'll search for such a picture, thanks.

The Hanged Man

Adolf Hitler - The Devil?
First Space Shuttle - The Chariot?

Arania

Yup, I have Hitler down as the devil, found a few pics with him and some croonies which could work well.

First space shuttle... depends. I have the challenger tragedy marked down as well, but probably both could work as the explosion is likely going into the swords.

The Hanged Man

Oh yes......I hadn't thought of the Minors!

Whenever I try and search for 'most famous photographs', I keep on seeing this image of this beautiful girl with the most amazing, hypnotic green eyes:

http://www.mopa.org/images/exhimage/AFGRLL.jpg

Could she be a page/princess? Although this image keeps coming up, I don't know who it is or why this picture was taken, doe's anyone know?

Arania

"National Geographic Editor in Chief William L. Allen calls The Afghan Girl "the most famous picture in our magazine's 114-year history." Photographer Steve McCurry originally took the photograph in 1984 as he was documenting the struggles of Afghanistan refugees at the Nasir Bagh refugee camp in Pakistan."

Yes, could work, added to collection. Thanks.

The Hanged Man

Are you seeking only colour images for uniformity, or are you seeking black and white images as well?

Arania

Black and white is a must, otherwise I couldn't get Abraham Lincoln, Einstein and lots of other important figures/events in.

I have another definite now, Jerrie Mock as Queen of Swords. And probably Ghandi as Hermit or Hanged Man.

Things on the list for now (not assigned and sometimes no pics yet) are

South Africa - Apartheid, Soweto 1976, Nelson Mandela, Stephen Biko
Cambodia - Pol Pot
Israel/Palestine - Intifadah, apartheid, Abu Jihad, Abu Amar (Arafat), probably Moshe Dajan
Germany - Hitler, WW1, WW2, Rommel, Kristallnacht, Willy Brandt, Berlin Wall, Michael Schumacher, Einstein,
US - Elvis, 911, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, JFK, Watergate, McCarthy, Mississippi burnings, MLK, Challenger explosion, New Orleans flood
Jamaica - Bob Marley
Soviet Union - Mihail Gorbatchev
India - Ghandi
Cuba - Che
Iran - Khomeini
Thailand - tsunami
Vietnam - the famous pic of the fleeing kids
Argentinia - Peron
UK - John Lennon/Beatles
Africa in general - draught and famine
And the moon landing

Arania