Negative aspects of positive cards

PageofWords

I know that all cards have a positive AND negative aspects but I tend to only be able to see the positive in many of these cards. I'd love to hear everyone's take on the negative aspect of typically positive or negative cards. So obviously the Sun and Star, but also the court cards or say the 10 of cups/ace cards/ Really any card you want to add.
The World
Strength
Temperance
6 of cups
6 of wands
8 of pentacles
3 of wands
2 of wands
4 of wands
The Chariot
The empress
justice
6 of pentacles
3 of pentacles
Judgement

Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: I gave a few examples but I was didn't want to be limited to those cards. Please do any and all cards that you can think of! Thanks!!!

rwcarter

Sun - shining a light on something you'd rather remain hidden or being overexposed
Star - relying on hope instead of action
10C - the happy family facade that you put on for strangers
10P - family legacy used as a weapon of control (if you don't do what I want, I'm going to cut you out of the will)

I see the Aces as representing potential, which is neither positive nor negative, so I can't help you there.

Rodney

Barleywine

The negative side of the Aces could be untapped potential, as in "locked up" for some reason. If you can't "trigger" it, it might as well not be there. We all know people with loads of promise who never seem to put it to work for themselves. Kind of the like the guy I used to know with a Masters Degree in Physics who worked at a hardware store (before the days when under-employment was par for the course). For the record, I think I would see reversed Aces as misapplied potential, the negative upright as "frozen in place."

Thirteen

the Sun and Star, but also the court cards or say the 10 of cups/ace cards
It's more than just negative/positive, it's an entire spectrum for each card. From negative to positive and positive to negative. So, you could say there's also a gray area there for each card. Not absolutely positive nor absolutely negative--a little of both.

The Sun: you've never been sunburned? ;) Too much sun isn't always good for you. And you'd get really annoyed by someone who always greeting your sad stories with: "look on the bright side!" Likewise with someone always rational when you wanted to be fanciful, or someone relentlessly logical when you wanted to be emotional. The Sun shines wakes you up and makes dreams go away. Good if you're having a nightmare. Not so good if you're in the middle of a really wonderful fantasy.

The Star: The Star is often seen as cold and distant. It offers hope and healing in the now, but that future is a ways off. That's the trick of the Star. This future can come true...but only eventually and if you stay on the path. You could easily get tired, discouraged, bored, or give up. And you might well think: "Thanks for nothing!" in regards to the Star. It was hope, but a distant hope. You might wish you hadn't been offered it at all.

10/Cups: this card promises you emotional happiness that you want to pass on to others, but not financial security. Or health. Or passion. Or success. Or fame. Great if your dream is to have a big family with lots of kids and so you can share all that, and who cares if you're poor, in bad health, and obscure. But if you want any of that other stuff...this might not be happily ever after.

Ace/Cups: All Aces are energy without direction and so are in those "gray" areas. Circumstance determines how positive or negative they are. For someone who hasn't been feeling anything, Ace/Cups (a wellspring of feeling) is good. For someone who feels too much already, not so good; this is one more gusher with no direction, and they're already drowning in water that isn't going anywhere. So, negative.

As for Court cards...why is it that you can't see them as negative? You can't see the King/Pents as someone who might only care for money and finances, not people? Or the Knight/Wands as hot tempered and impatient, trampling others in his race to win?

tarot_quest

10/Cups: this card promises you emotional happiness that you want to pass on to others, but not financial security. Or health. Or passion. Or success. Or fame. Great if your dream is to have a big family with lots of kids and so you can share all that, and who cares if you're poor, in bad health, and obscure. But if you want any of that other stuff...this might not be happily ever after.

This is very true!

Just to share with you guys. I did a 12 house forecast for the upcoming year last July. In the second house (i.e. the house of money and possessions), I got the 10 of cups, so I thought ''Oh great! Awesome! I will make more money''. Since I am looking for my first career after some long studies, this automatically meant ''money'' and ''reward'' in my mind. Well, I have never been so broken of my life and I am still unemployed :) My mom had to lend me some money and I will pay her back, hence to 10 of cups (i.e. receiving money via family and seeing the ''value'' that family has in my life, especially regarding my finances). Yep!

nisaba

So obviously the Sun

Over-exposure - over-sharing. Burning, physical or emotional. Not allowing yourself or those around you to rest, reflect and turn inwards. Inappropriate laughter. Lack of empathy. Jollying people along, when understanding and accepting their feelings would be more helpful. All sorts of stuff.

and Star,

Unrealistic expectations (I will win when gambling, that person will fall in love with me, I will get that job even though there are lots better qualified than I am, etc etc). Living in the future instead of getting the most out of the present. Day-dreaming instead of really experiencing life. Putting things off in the hope that it will be better later. All that kind of stuff, none of which is ever helpful in life.

or say the 10 of cups/

Selfishly living for your own pleasures. spending too much time wrapped up in those you love, and paying no attention to the rest of the world. Along those lines.

Really, *every* card, positive or negative, has its obverse side. And every card has within it hints as to how to mend what it represents, and rebalance/heal yourself.

ana luisa

Sun - need to be in the limelight for happiness, narcissism, fever, skin diseases that burn and/or ooze when it's too hot

Star - having too much faith and not taking concrete steps, not looking at what's in front of you to find happiness, need to work in a group to acquire exposure (stars in constellation)

10 of Cups - fake happiness, selfies, aiming at a future where you need others to feel complete (husband, wife, kids), not realizing that this card is the end OF A CYCLE, not the end itself.

Esk

This conversation makes me think about a post i've recently seen on the daily tarot girl blog : https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2017/02/07/the-dark-side-of-those-good-tarot-cards/ . It may interest you.

Others have already given interesting suggestions, but here's some other ideas.
The sun could be about an oversized ego or a lack of modesty, thinking that you can manage everything. This card often makes me think about the myth of Icarus. He thought he had enough power to get close to the sun but it burn his wings.

Star : i don't like this card actually. When it appears i can hear its little voice saying to me : don't worry things will go better. Someday.

10 of cups : wishing a happily ever after, having unrealistic expectations about a relationship, living in a fantasy. But life is not a fairy tale.

Ace of wands : i've already seen this card for a feeling of anger

Ace of cups : an overflowing emotion. But it can be every kind of emotion. I've seen it for sadness (the water in the cup can be seen as tears), stress and regrets.

Ace of swords : a truth. But some truth can hurt.

Tanga

I know that all cards have a positive AND negative aspects but I tend to only be able to see the positive in many of these cards. I'd love to hear everyone's take on the negative aspect of typically positive or negative cards. So obviously the Sun and Star, but also the court cards or say the 10 of cups/ace cards/ Really any card you want to add.

Thanks for sharing.

Sun = sun burn or polymorphic light syndrome (I have the latter - Lol. an allergy to UVA)
Star = Hope... is the tip of the iceberg of despair. Don't hope - get on and DO something! :joke:
10 of Cups = "Happy Clappy families" - we are such a great and close family look at us!... (oh but actually, we don't really talk in too much detail and now that aunty's passed away - we're at war with each other for her inheritance).
Ace of Cups = Are you now a a convert of X religion, which means you're sprouting the love of Y until we all feel like slapping you? :joke:

King of Wands - The wife beater
King of Cups - great manipulator
Page of Cups - wildly jealous
Page of Wands - problem child
Queen of Wands - vengeful woman
Queen of Swords - devious
Knight of Cups - ladies man
Knight of Swords - cocky b******

:joke: :joke:

headincloud

To me the negative interpretations are in the reversed meanings so the star for example would be hope and self esteem whereas the negative end of the spectrum or the reversed card would be loss of hope and low self esteem. Because the rx card carries both ends of the spectrum of the upright version it could also read unwarranted hope and to find out which interpretation is correct we need to look at the surrounding spread.