Waite or Not?

Zephyros

It might be, although I'm more used to seeing him in his "Mark Twain" look.

Laura Borealis

I was wondering that too. The shape of his face, the eyes and brows, and the hair and hairline don't look like him. A.E. had wavy hair.

ravenest

Right click on the image and then click on 'search google for this image' and it will take you to .... an interesting place ....

Oh ... and there is the title in the address tag on top of the picture as well ;)

ravenest

I was wondering that too. The shape of his face, the eyes and brows, and the hair and hairline don't look like him. A.E. had wavy hair.

Really ?

Even the wiki page on him has a photo that ... well .... have a look.

Laura Borealis

Right click on the image and then click on 'search google for this image' and it will take you to .... an interesting place ....

Oh ... and there is the title in the address tag on top of the picture as well ;)

Yeah, I saw that page where you got the picture. I think that dude's wrong.

Really ?

Even the wiki page on him has a photo that ... well .... have a look.

On Wikipedia I see two photos of Waite looking like he ought.

I don't want to derail Lillie's topic though.

Attachments

• AE Waite.gif
    AE Waite.gif
    49.3 KB · Views: 203

Lillie

Yeah, I saw that page where you got the picture. I think that dude's wrong.

On Wikipedia I see two photos of Waite looking like he ought.

I don't want to derail Lillie's topic though.

No, go for it.
I want to know too.

Laura Borealis

No, go for it.
I want to know too.

Well, okay.

When you go to the source for ravenest's photo, it goes to this page, where they say it's A.E. Waite. But I couldn't find the photo identified as Waite anywhere else substantive.

If you use Google's image search, you can also see it on some site called ztopics, which just seems to have search engine hits, and takes you right back to the above page. Oh, and someone's using the photo as an icon on a tarot-related Tumblr blog. That's it.

Meanwhile there are lots of photos of A.E. Waite with his trademark mustache. These all seem substantiated. And they all look like the same man.

The mustache makes it tricky, since men can look very different with and without facial hair. Different lighting can also make it tricky. But if you compare a head-on picture of A.E. with ravenest's photo, and look at the shape of the face, the eyes, etc. - they don't look like the same man.

A.E.'s face is rounder, while the mystery mage's is thinner and longer. Mystery mage's chin is longer, and his eyes seem closer together. A.E.'s chin is rounder. You can tell that Mystery Mage is going to look gaunt when he's older (my grandpa had a face like that). I mean, I'm not a police artist or anything, but they just don't look the same.

That's why I think the dude with the webpage is wrong.

I wonder if the mystery mage is another G.D. member, or at least someone else in the occult field. Possibly a young Israel Regardie? I didn't do a study of the faces though.

Oh, another thing is the suit the mystery mage is wearing. I'm not very knowledgeable about men's fashion, but aren't those lapels a later style? The suit looks more modern to me.

Attachments

• Mystery Mage vs the Real AE.jpg
    Mystery Mage vs the Real AE.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 197

gregory

ACKSHERLY I would have said that it possibly could match with the last one in that collage. And he may not have had a moustache in his early years - just as my SO didn't have a beard when we got together - not for a long time. I shall see if I can persuade picasa to tell me...

ETA WHY can't I make picasa add that to an album.... :mad:

But the lapels are very like the one in the sepia pic.