"The Devil" as the solution to a problem?

Lerena

Situation:
I asked my tarot deck why I can't enjoy anything I'm writing this month, and for the most part I understand its answer, but the last card in the spread tells me how to fix the problem. It's supposed to indicate how I can start feeling fulfilled by what I write. The Devil is in this position and I'm confused.

The Devil:
It's a card that generally indicates indulgence and materialism. It can show up when there's an imbalance in someone's life. Like, maybe they're eating too much, spending a lot of money, or they're spending too much time thinking about how attractive their lover is.

Either way, I don't understand why it appeared, because I have already tried to base my writing on instincts and basic needs. It hasn't worked so far. I keep feeling unsatisfied with what I'm writing even when I try to indulge my "dark side," so to speak.

----

It seems like I'm missing something about the meaning of this card, but I may be in the wrong mindset to see it.

Does anyone have any ideas about the card's meaning in this situation?

gregory

It can also suggest obsession. So maybe it could suggest that you aren't as TOTALLY FOCUSSED (a form of obsession) as you might be ?

Mystica7

Totally my guess at it: It may well be that you are obsessed with the quality of your work so much that you can't enjoy it and hence can't be much productive.

The Devil may be telling you to set yourself free from self-imposed limitations.

Are you a perfectionist?...

Either way, be easy about your work and soon you will start loving what you produce.

decan

Did you try to write at night? The Devil with his bat wings is a nocturnal creature!

Lerena

@gregory: I don't quite understand your interpretation. Are you saying that I'm not as focused as I could be? Can you elaborate or phrase that differently, please? :)

Totally my guess at it: It may well be that you are obsessed with the quality of your work so much that you can't enjoy it and hence can't be much productive.

The Devil may be telling you to set yourself free from self-imposed limitations.

Are you a perfectionist?...

Either way, be easy about your work and soon you will start loving what you produce.
I am a perfectionist, but I've been trying to loosen up a bit and even though I have been writing with less quality than usual, I feel like nothing I write is what I want to be writing. I just can't figure out what I want to write so the thought that I'm not writing what I want is a bit strange. No matter how much I try to let loose and just write something, it feels like I've lost sight of what I wish I could be writing. This may be a result of having to write an essay the entire time I was last inspired to write.

Did you try to write at night? The Devil with his bat wings is a nocturnal creature!
I've tried writing at night. It does help a little, but I'm still struggling to enjoy my work even at night. It's kind of weird.

Sentient

Lerena, The Devil indicates that something is blocking your enjoyment of writing, and when you find out what it is you'll be able to find a solution.

The first step though, is identifying the problem. The Devil points to an over-focus on material concerns, at the expense of the spirit. If you carefully reflect on your motivations for writing you should be able to pinpoint the cause. Once you know where the Devil is hiding, you should be able to root him out, and rediscover the joy you've temporarily misplaced.

Lerena

Lerena, The Devil indicates that something is blocking your enjoyment of writing, and when you find out what it is you'll be able to find a solution.

The first step though, is identifying the problem. The Devil points to an over-focus on material concerns, at the expense of the spirit. If you carefully reflect on your motivations for writing you should be able to pinpoint the cause. Once you know where the Devil is hiding, you should be able to root him out, and rediscover the joy you've temporarily misplaced.
I think you're onto something here. It does feel like something is blocking my enjoyment of writing, and if I had to guess, it's probably my depression messing with my ability to enjoy it. However, I'm already being treated for it. Still, I'm going to call my psychiatrist's office on Monday to explain that I think my depression symptoms are coming back and I would like to come in sooner. In the meantime, I'm just trying to figure out a way to enjoy what I write without the depression ruining things.

Sentient

Lerena, Is your lack of enthusiasm for writing worse than for your other activities, or about the same?

decan

I thought concerning the Devil card as a solution and what you said, and the problem in my opinion is that there is no solution with this card.
An interpretation, not the best maybe (or not the most comforting, unfortunately), could be that in the short term you will not overcome what blocks you.

Therefore let go for the moment and breathe.