The Victorian Romantic Visual Journaling Study Group - discussion thread

Little Baron

Darwinia, I am very much looking forward to seeing this accordian idea in action. Is the photo you showed of your materials? Looks great.

I also understand what you mean about study groups. I have been guilty of passively reading in the past, when there fills little to add to threads. But here, I hope that will be different because visually, we can not repeat so easily.

Was wondering if everyone was keeping it strictly Victorian. Or are you likely to add personal photo's etc, which would be modern?

LB

Sulis

Just to stop me being confused :)

This group looks interesting. We've not done anything quite like this in Tarot Study Groups before.

To keep this from being very hard to follow, I take it you will be starting a new thread for each card?

Sulis - co-moderator Tarot Study Groups

darwinia

LittleBuddha said:
Was wondering if everyone was keeping it strictly Victorian. Or are you likely to add personal photo's etc, which would be modern?

Well, it's my personal study of the deck, and will include my own art and thoughts. It depends what occurs with each card, but I'm not going to have rigid rules about *only* including things Victorian, as I am not a Victorian.

For me, planning or limiting the theme to Victoriana would destroy the point of study, since it's about my reaction and interpretation of each card. I won't know that until I get to the card, which is why I'm concentrating more on colour as an overall theme to bond things together.

This would be a personal choice of the journal-maker and likely to change depending on the card and what you feel about the card. This will be my attitude at least.

darwinia

Due to the availability of materials in my home, I will have to make the inner accordion of two of the books from Canson Colorline paper rather than Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper. The pastel paper is archival and lightfast, and the Colorline is acid-free and slightly better than regular construction paper, but is not lightfast or archival. I thought this was Clairefontaine Maya paper, but on checking the watermark, I find it isn't. Rats.

Like we all care, right? Just in case other folks are looking for nice paper to work with.

So two books will have moss green paper on the inside, one will have burgundy paper, one will have carmine red paper, and one will have deep lilac (purple.)

Lots of blues, greens, purples, and a bit of cream, red and rose on the book covers. Yeah, it will have an overall Victorian look to it without being twee.

[Edited to say: One of the word tickets I use for writing and poetry inspiration has the phrase on it "carmine hotels" which I snipped from a travel book on Italy. I LOVE that phrase, so by using this carmine red paper (which will hopefully match the red on the back of the cards) I can use that phrase somewhere.]

Little Baron

Looking forward to seeing this Darwinia.

I think I will go with the flow, also. Just add what turns up.

I wasn't planning on doing a page per card at first. But just doing daily draws. May still do it that way. Not sure yet. The lack of planning actually excites me more.

LB

baba-prague

LittleBuddha said:
I think I will go with the flow, also. Just add what turns up.

I wasn't planning on doing a page per card at first. But just doing daily draws. May still do it that way. Not sure yet. The lack of planning actually excites me more.

LB

Yes, to get through all 78 cards might be a lot to ask if there is quite a lot of work in each one. Perhaps just beginning in a fairly open way at first would be better and more creative?

Personally, like Darwinia I imagined putting down my own 'take' on each card, so modern imagery might well be included.

Oh, and here is another useful link - if anyone is anywhere near this studio (it's in the UK) it's about to have an exhibition of altered books/visual journals.

http://www.artvango.co.uk/index.html

Jewel-ry

darwinia said:
Isn't it awful how people will say things that become like concrete in your mind? ... Now, do we have to listen to that sort of nonsense? NO!!!

This is exactly how I feel...I got told it that often that eventually I believed it...but no more! Thank-you for the encouragement Darwinia :)

And I love your parabola...

darwinia

baba-prague said:
Perhaps just beginning in a fairly open way at first would be better and more creative?

For sure.

I wanted to pin down basic colour coordination because I am making my books as a set, to be slipcased when finished, but for those with the journal this wouldn't be necessary.

I suggest starting to work a couple of pages into the journal and leaving some initial pages blank for adding a fancy title page, or an introductory description and reflection the project later.

Sulis

Moddie note again.

LittleBuddha said:

Hi LB,

What I meant was, are you planning on starting a new thread per card here?

We have to try to keep groups comprehensible you see..I don't want one huge long thread - terrible for searches; impossible for folks to find what they are looking for.

If you're planning on doing daily draws then the Study Group forum may not be the place for this group - you may be better off in the Daily Draws section of Your Readings.

Sulis - co-mod Tarot Study Groups

baba-prague

Sulis said:
Hi LB,

What I meant was, are you planning on starting a new thread per card here?

We have to try to keep groups comprehensible you see..I don't want one huge long thread - terrible for searches; impossible for folks to find what they are looking for.

If you're planning on doing daily draws then the Study Group forum may not be the place for this group - you may be better off in the Daily Draws section of Your Readings.

Sulis - co-mod Tarot Study Groups

Well, it's up to LB, but I would think it would be too difficult to put this under daily draws. Perhaps best to make a thread for each card, but setting up the group so that people don't necessarily have to address each card at the same time (i.e. not in any particular order)?

Of course, when I thought about this I thought that it would be nice sometimes to agree all to do one card over a week or two - just to be able to compare results. But in general, people could go at their own pace and in their own order and just update the appropriate card thread as appropriate?

I hope that makes sense!