The Victorian Romantic Visual Journaling Study Group - discussion thread

Mimers

Moonbow* said:
Sulis and I are watching this thread to see how it pans out and don't wish to interfere with the creativity or the ideas that are in discussion, as you said this is new to the Study Group forum.

When you have decided on how this is to be done we will then think about how it affects the search feature for future viewers and whether the thread is in the best place. We have to consider Solandia's guidelines for where she wants to have things posted, but new ideas are great so lets just go with it for now.

I think what we would like you to consider is some kind of structure that we would be able to 'file' on the forum so that when a member in the future is interested in this deck (and journalling), they will be able to find this thread.

Any ideas regarding re-organisation of the forum will of course need to be directed to Solandia.

Moonbow*

Hi folks, I haven't posted yet, but have been following. I think as far as structure, we can treat this similar to a study group by using a separate thread for each card. If someone wants to share about a card that is not yet posted, they can start a new thread. We can also keep one thread (this one?) for journaling and decorating ideas and sharing.

How does that sound to everyone?

I have checked out some people's websites (Darwinia) and all I can say is WOW! what amazing work!

Can't wait for this deck!

Mimi

darwinia

Mimers said:
Can't wait for this deck!

Yes, the learning quotient, and commitment of intellect to messing around with the cards, enhances the anticipation. Yums!

Did you buy the gold edition and the journal Mimi or are you going to use something else with the regular deck?

All of my accordions have been cut and I have my book boards cut--had to get the spouse to do it, my arthritic fingers were not up to the task on such thick board. I sanded them so they'd be smooth for gluing the paper over them.

The paper for the book covers is cut out and ready to glue over the 10 boards. It's important after gluing to let these things dry overnight and weight them, so it's rather tedious--I have to wrangle with this mundane stuff before doing the collage and decoration.

I am hoping to have them done this Friday, and perhaps the deck will arrive then, you never know.

Mimers

darwinia said:
Did you buy the gold edition and the journal Mimi or are you going to use something else with the regular deck?

I bought the gold edition, so I will be getting the journal. I am not a very artistic person, but I am an avid journaler. I have kept a Tarot journal for years! This deck is going to be fun to explore and write about.

Jewel-ry

I am not artistic either Mimi, but I am looking forward to 'having a go' whatever the results, I know I will learn from it.

I need time to research different techniques really and I haven't got that at the moment so my exploration with this deck has just got to wait for a couple of weeks but still it will be fun when I get going. I have to wait for the deck anyway because I have to buy it from Amazon. I have a gift voucher so just have to take this route this time. I usually buy direct from baba so it will be hard watching you all get your decks while I have to wait a bit longer.

:)

darwinia

The nice thing about a journal is that you can try different things out. If you mess up, you can always collage something over it and it will still look good. If anyone feels they've wrecked a page, leave it for a time until you can go back and fix it--don't feel discouraged if it doesn't work up immediately into a gorgeous page.

I have decided that since this is a visual process rather than a verbal one, that I will refrain from posting further. I don't fit in with the forum generally, I'm more comfortable working alone.

If anyone is interested in my progress, they can check the web page I posted for occasional updates.

I leave with this thought:

Waxed paper is the journaller's best friend for protecting and weighting paper. Don't forget it!

Bat Chicken

This looks like fun. I am looking forward to seeing what people do. I can't wait to get the deck!!

The Hi-Rez images for the journal are great Baba - thanks... now hopefully I'll have the journal by the middle of the month to get started!!

Jewel-ry

Darwinia,

This is meant to be a visual journey and so I don't intend to analyse each card in a verbal way either, not to any great extent anyway.

I find you very inspiring and encouraging so please don't go away altogether. It would be nice to have you chip in from time to time and btw I have already got your page bookmarked and your accordion books look just great!

J :)

darwinia

Jewel-ry said:
I find you very inspiring and encouraging so please don't go away altogether.

Oh great, well I'm glad I inspired you. I find that if I talk too much I get tired, and also tiresome in my comments.

Last night I put the ribbons on the books, and today I am gluing the other end of the accordion into the books. Tomorrow will be collage and decoration, so I'm on schedule to finish for getting the cards.

They look good, the hardcovers make them feel like real books. I've always been interested in bookbinding, but professional bookbinders train for some years and take courses in printmaking etc. and because I don't have access to such training, or the money for it, I figured I couldn't do it.

However, it's doable, you simply start and build your skills. It's very precise, you have to keep things square and neat, and press things overnight and wait for things to dry, but I am a precise sort of person, so this appeals to me.

bleuivy

darwinia, I find your posts here inspiring as well. Filled with great information and suggestions.

Meanwhile, yesterday I bought my sketchbook that I am going to use for this study group. It's has a studry black cover and thick, good quality white paper. I've dug out all my old supplies. Watercolors, tempera, acrylics, rubber stamps, brushes, scrapbooking paper. It's all there and ready for the using! :)

Now I'm just waiting for the deck. :laugh:

I'll be working on other projects to get my creativity flowing until my deck arrives.

HearthCricket

For art to use in our journals, here is a good idea for getting good pictures. Go to your local bookstore (be it a chain or small store, or even used books) and go to the sale/bargain book section. You can find some wonderful books chuck full of various art, paintings, drawings, etc., in slightly damaged hardcover books for under $10.00, sometimes under $4 or $5. Then, start cutting them up!

Question...anyone know the best kind of glue to use on a project like this? Glue sticks, perhaps, or is there something better?