Court Cards and the 10º 20º Split.

Spiffo

I'm forced to come out of 'lurking' to ask what may be a fundamental question. BoT and even Duquette haven't really answered this for me. Knight, Queen and Prince rule 10º of one sign and 20º of the next. I was happy with that but no more. I get (kind of) that it is to better reflect a 'complex character' and I was happy to just accept DuQuette when he says "... isn't allowed to completely rule any one sign of the zodiac ...". Why? And where did this idea/notion originate. Have I missed a crucial paragraph somewhere or has the translation into Australian omitted something? Help.

Zephyros

I suppose it has certain astrological reasons, but I tend to look at it as a feature of the Courts that makes them far more complex and interesting than they would otherwise have been.

Having two parts of one sign and one of another gives dominant aspects to the personality as well as recessive ones. Each sign is also modified by the attribute of its respective decans. For example, the Queen of Swords has one decan in Virgo, that of Mercury, and two in Libra, Luna and Saturn. Libra is the dominant sign here and relates us to Adjustment. Thus the Queen's dominant aspect is an airy quality of balance, seeing all and always knowing the causes and events and having a proper response. This quality is punctuated by the planets of these decans, the Moon suggesting perhaps inner wisdom and creativity in her execution of that Libran adjustment while Saturn being an interesting endpoint for this Queen, being being connected to her first decan. Here, in any case, it would suggest her thought processes are well thought out. Her famous cruelty comes from this cold, Saturnian quality of finality and form. You can also think of the decans as Minors, the above being the Two (the mind perfectly balanced) and Three of Swords (realization of separation). This adds even more complexity as then the decans are modified by the Sephiroth. But the general gist is as above.

Mercury in Virgo suggests movement in the Vessel, fertility, birth (of course) and form. The connection here is of endings and beginnings, as this decan is the Ten of Discs. This decan also has strong ties to the Hermit, so there's that aspect you can consider as well.

So really I think the goal is to mix things up, to give each Court as well-rounded a personality as possible. The greater decan is reinforced by the lesser one in how it comes to light in the card's personality. The planets fulfill the same function of giving "flavor" to the attributes of the sign.

I wrote something a while ago detailing the steps of this process, you might be interested.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=3878856

Owl Tarot

Except for Liber Theta, which is a good read on the matter at hand, there is also...

Book of Thoth said:
GENERAL REMARKS

These cards constitute a pictorial analysis of the powers of the four letters of the Name and the four Elements. They are also referred to the Zodiac; but instead of assigning the three decans of each sign to one card, the influence begins with the last decan of one Sign and continues to the second decan of the next. There is a further difficulty. It might well be expected that the elemental attribution would harmonize with the Zodiacal attribution; but it is not so. For instance, one might anticipate that the fiery part of Fire would refer to the most active of the fiery signs, namely, Aries. On the contrary, it represents the last decan of Scorpio and the first two of Sagittarius, which is the watery part of Fire in the Zodiac, and the mildest in influence.

The reason for this is that in the realm of the Elements all things are mixed and confused; or, as the apologist might say, counter checked and counter-balanced. The convenience of these arrangements is that these cards are suitable as being descriptive, in a rough and empirical fashion, of divers types of men and women. One may say briefly that any of these cards is a picture of the person whose Sun, or whose rising Sign at his nativity, falls within the Zodiacal attribution of the card. Thus, a person born on 12th October might possess many of the qualities of the Queen of Swords; while, if he were born shortly before midnight, he would add many of the characteristics of the Prince of Wands.

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE FOUR DIGNITARIES
The Knights represent the powers of the letter Yod in the Name. They are the most sublime, original, active part of the Energy of the Element; for this reason they are represented on horseback and clad in complete armour. Their action is swift and violent, but transient. In the Element of Fire, for instance, the Knight corresponds to the Lightning flash; in the Element of Water, to Rain and Springs; in that of Air, to Wind; in that of Earth, to Mountains. It is very important as a mental exercise to work out for oneself these correspondences between the Symbol and the Natural Forces which they represent; and it is essential to practical Magical work to have assimilated this knowledge.

The Queens represent the letter Heh of the Name. They are the complements of the Knights. They receive, ferment, and transmit the original Energy of their Knight. Quick to receive that Energy, they are also fitted to endure for the period of their function; but they are not the final product. They represent the second stage in the process of creation whose fourth and last state is material realization. They are represented as seated upon thrones. This emphasizes the fact that they are appointed to exercise definite functions.

The Princes represent the Forces of the letter Vau in the Name. The Prince is the Son of the Queen (the old King’s daughter) by the Knight who has won her; he is therefore represented as in a chariot, going forth to carry out the combined Energy of his parents. He is the active issue of their union, and its manifestation. He is the intellectual image of their union. His action is consequently more enduring than that of his forbears. In one respect, indeed, he ac quires a relative permanence, because he is the published record of what has been done in secret. Also, he is the “Dying God”, redeeming his Bride in the hour, and by the virtue, of his murder.

The Princesses represent the He’ final of the Name. They represent the ultimate issue of the original Energy in its completion, its crystallization, its materialization. They also represent the counter-balancing, the re-absorption of the Energy. They represent the Silence into which all things return. They are thus at the same time permanent and non-existent. An audit of the equation 0=2.

The Princesses have no Zodiacal attribution. Yet evidently they represent four types of human being. They are those numerous “elemental” people whom we recognize by their lack of all sense of responsibility, whose moral qualities seem to lack “bite”. They are sub-divided according to planetary predominance. Such types have been repeatedly described in fiction. As Eliphaz Levi wrote: “The love of the Magus for such creatures is insensate, and may destroy him”.
The relations between these Four Elements of the Name are extraordinarily complex, quite beyond the limits of any ordinary treatise to discuss; they change with every application of thought to their meaning.

For instance, no sooner has the Princess made her appearance than the Prince wins her in marriage, and she is set upon the throne of her Mother. She thus awakens the Eld of the original old King; who thereupon becomes a young Knight, and so renews the cycle. The Princess is not only the perfect Maiden, but, owing to the death of the Prince, the forsaken and lamenting Widow. All this occurs in the legends characteristic of the Aeon of Osiris. It is hardly possible definitely to disentangle these complications, but for the student it is sufficient if he will be content to work with one legend at a time.
It is natural that the Aeon of Osiris, the regimen of Air, of strife, of intellect, should be thus confused; that its symbols and formulas should overlap, should contradict each other. It is impossible to harmonize the multitudinous fables or parables, because each was invented to emphasize some formula that was regarded as imperative to serve some local or temporal purpose.

Michael Sternbach

My take on this is that according to the GD arrangement, three subsequent Court Cards will not only cover all four elements on the zodiac but also, as far as their attributed pips, correspond with a numerical series from 10 through 9. This is interesting because the Aces are not attributed to the decans, so the 10s are taking their places here (10 = 1+0 = 1). Another way to say this is that Malkuth becomes Kether whence a new series starts.

Spiffo

Oh my goodness! Sincerely, thank you all for your replies, and your pointers to various sources.

Closrapexa the article you linked to is, well quite amazing. It feels like the missing manual, at least in regard to Courts - I am in awe not only of your clear language but the sheer amount of material you've included. I've also found your other article on the Four Worlds. It will take me some time to fully digest them but wow. Interestingly last night I read your review of Meleen's Tabula Mundi (which I have) via her blog. Could you please publish a Dummies Guide to Thoth. I would not be the only buyer.

Owl Tarot & Aeon418 cheers. Michael - it clicked as I read your reply. (3 covers 4).

Many thanks all, I won't be so shy (or reserved) in asking questions in the future. So much to learn.

XpS

fixedair

Origin?

What's been said makes a lot of sense and is interesting, but I'm still curious, do we know who came up with this scheme?

I know it's in GD. I didn't see it in the Cipher MS. Did Mathers invent it or get it from somewhere else?