Orbifold Tarot: More friendly to Thoth system?

The Happy Squirrel

Would you say Crowley's Thoth relies more on sacred geometry and numerical assignments compared to other systems? And if so, would this recently announced deck be of most use to those who are already familiar with the Thoth?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=239570

Zephyros

I'm not sure, friendly in what way?

Maveriker

Could be! I'm not sure that those who are really attached to the astrological correspondences will find that aspect in it, but I was heavily influenced by Blavatsky's views on Sacred Geometry, especially the first 7 divisions, and that is echoed in the G-D system that Crowley grew from.

I'd really be interested in hearing from some Thoth-ers on what they see — or don't see — in the deck. It certainly wasn't my intention to replace or even echo the Thoth, since besides having studied Book T, it's not my area of expertise… even though it's an awesome deck :)

I definitely think that there is a relationship to pip-style decks since The Orbifold is based primarily on numbers and elements, and the relationships and patterns formed between them.

ravenest

I would not say the Thoth deck relies on sacred geometry at all. Its art shows projective synthetic geometry ... is that 'sacred' ? I also would not say it relies on numerical assignments ... as I am not sure what you mean by that ?

I dont see why one would have to be familiar with the Thoth deck to get the most use out of this deck.

ravenest

I definitely think that there is a relationship to pip-style decks since The Orbifold is based primarily on numbers and elements, and the relationships and patterns formed between them.

Yes, that is what it seemed like to me.

I dont get an 'Obifold' and Thoth connection at all really.

Maveriker

I can see a possible relationship, for instance Freida's depiction of Nine of Discs, sometimes related to Trump 3, The Empress, does have a curious similarity (unplanned) to the Empress of the Orbifold, and there are likely other crossovers. If the Orbifold helps people study and enter the Thoth, fantastic, I can't argue with that! And even if Thoth study gives more depth to the Orbifold, that would be cool too… but one definitely doesn't depend on the other :)

Attachments

• Nine-of-Disks-Gain.jpg
    Nine-of-Disks-Gain.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 138

The Happy Squirrel

I'm not sure, friendly in what way?

I was reading DuQuette descriptions of Crowley-Harris' WORLD card and came across discussions about the fish bladder shape / vesica piscis (DuQuette, 2003, p. 155-157).

Then I saw Orbifold's "High Priestess".

So I started to wonder ...

The Happy Squirrel

I would not say the Thoth deck relies on sacred geometry at all. Its art shows projective synthetic geometry ... is that 'sacred' ? I also would not say it relies on numerical assignments ... as I am not sure what you mean by that ?

I dont see why one would have to be familiar with the Thoth deck to get the most use out of this deck.

Maveriker seems to have answered the numerical assignment point above.

Is projective geometry sacred? No idea. That is why I post around this sub asking questions I suppose.

Thanks for your take on my question. So the answer from your point of view is: no.

Sweet.

The Happy Squirrel

Yes, that is what it seemed like to me.

I dont get an 'Obifold' and Thoth connection at all really.

My question above isn't rhetorical, it is actually a question. So unless someone else made this claim somewhere that I missed. I certainly didn't.

The Happy Squirrel

By the way, please note: I am only a few days old come to Crowley's Thoth tarot system. I asked a lot of silly questions perhaps but it is because I am hungry to learn.