Orbifold Tarot: More friendly to Thoth system?

Maveriker

How do we learn if we don't wonder? :D

The Happy Squirrel

I can see a possible relationship, for instance Freida's depiction of Nine of Discs, sometimes related to Trump 3, The Empress, does have a curious similarity (unplanned) to the Empress of the Orbifold, and there are likely other crossovers. If the Orbifold helps people study and enter the Thoth, fantastic, I can't argue with that! And even if Thoth study gives more depth to the Orbifold, that would be cool too… but one definitely doesn't depend on the other :)

Aha so it was unplanned :D this is good to know.
OK in general my question has been answered.

Maveriker

One of the interesting things about sacred geometry is that it's a somewhat limited palate, especially at the lower numbers… I mean, there's only so many ways one can depict two or three intersecting circles ;)

So whenever there are intersecting circles there are going to be similarities just because of the limitations of the pattern, and the meanings of those patterns/interactions remains fairly consistent at that level.

It does get more interesting with the elements, and then even more interesting as the numbers increase… and eventually earlier basic patters from the lower numbers re-emerge. It's really fun to play with!

smw

Would you say Crowley's Thoth relies more on sacred geometry and numerical assignments compared to other systems? And if so, would this recently announced deck be of most use to those who are already familiar with the Thoth?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=239570

I am not sure that I can see how this deck relates particularly to the Thoth, I am new to it though.This looks like a beautiful deck from the samples on the other thread. I really like the blue of the High Priestess with in-between space and the serene green of the Hermit. I could imagine contemplating these cards with Thoth themes however...

The Happy Squirrel

I am not sure that I can see how this deck relates particularly to the Thoth, I am new to it though.This looks like a beautiful deck from the samples on the other thread. I really like the blue of the High Priestess with in-between space and the serene green of the Hermit. I could imagine contemplating these cards with Thoth themes however...

That is probably more accurate than my initial impression. It is probably closer to the Marseilles system. But I suspect as we are embarking into our learning journey with Crowley's Thoth tarot this deck might be an interesting companion to contemplate along side the Thoth :)

Samweiss

If you really want to learn the Thoth, then you should study the Thoth deck, it's simple as that. Another deck might seem more approachable, but in the end, you're learning another deck and not Thoth. There's a wealthy amount of information about the subject to get you started, you just need some patience. You don't need to (and can't!) learn everything at once. This is my just my opinion. :)

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks Samweiss :) I never did think that I can study another deck to study the Thoth system :)

This is just a curious question stemmed from some observations by a thoth novice on what appeared to be parallel elements in the two decks, that is all :)

smw

That is probably more accurate than my initial impression. It is probably closer to the Marseilles system. But I suspect as we are embarking into our learning journey with Crowley's Thoth tarot this deck might be an interesting companion to contemplate along side the Thoth :)

It might be an interesting companion as you say :) ... I noticed that the designs of this deck seem to encourage exploration of other spaces, more wordless for me - I am usually drawn to faces and possible stories triggered by the cards.