Getting back into Thoth

TheWanderer

I have studied the Thoth a little and then looked at RWS, for a while I was prefering the RWS but now I am realizing I don't like the symbolism and so I am getting a DruidCraft deck for reading but I really want to learn the Thoth properly to use it longer term. I have the following books I feel will be helpful;

Book of Thoth - AC
Understanding ACs Thoth Tarot - DuQuette
The Qabalistic Tarot - Wang
777 - AC
The Mystical Qabalah - Fortune
The Horary Textbook - Frawley
Christian Astrology - Lily
Elements of Qabalah - Parfitt
Liber ABA - AC

I know that I have plenty of info regarding Qabalah but one thing I wanted to get better with was Astrology, can anybody confirm whether the books are sufficient or are there others I should study as well? I have a copy of Liber T too which I will go over in the next few weeks. Also any suggestions on how to study it best are welcomed although I have searched the forum and found a few ideas of others.

Thanks,
The Wanderer

Grigori

I found Frawley's book tremendously useful for tarot, and would recommend in addition to the Horary title, his 'Real Astrology'. Combine with DuQuettes book which explains the linking to the tarot I think that is really all anyone would ever need.

Zephyros

Wanderer, that's quite a collection! I myself got my base from several of the books on your list. While astrology hasn't been my main avenue of study, I believe you should take things fairly slowly. The main framework of the deck is kabbalistic, with Thelema thrown in. Once you get those down in genera، terms, you can have a passing understanding of the deck, and can then move on to astrology.

You might want to have a look at these two essays I once did.

INIVEA

With the Thoth, In it's very basic, starting point for divination, it is kabbalah tied in with Astrology. for example

6 of Wands (Tiphareth) + (Jupiter in Leo) = Victory

Learn the Tree of Life and what each sephirot means, then Learn astrology in combination, "What does Tiphareth mean?", "What does Jupiter in Leo mean? ". Hint you will first need to learn astrology of the time, that the deck was created, over the years astrology changed, the discovery of pluto etc. so get a good handle on those is a good start. keep it simple in the beginning, gradually work your way up into the more complexities.

Try just using the Pips (56) cards = everday matters, then tackle the majors. you can do very informative readings with only the pips.

ETA: Don't overwhelm yourself with too much info in the beginning, you could lose interest quickly. take it slow, step by step, the deck will walk you through each step if you allow it to, and it will do so base on your understanding, at each step. The Thoth is magickal in that way and will only reveal what your ready to understand.

Michael Sternbach

I guess, if you find the kabbalistic or the astrological side of the Thoth prevalent depends on your perspective. For me, it's astrology. But you won't find the astrology of the Thoth in any standard textbook, even the one written by Crowley doesn't help much. It's the astrology of the decans you need to look into, which was so important to astral magicians since ancient times. The best book on it that I have found so far is Austin Coppock's 36 Faces.

https://austincoppock.com/shop/36-faces-the-history-astrology-and-magic-of-the-decans/

TheWanderer

Thanks everyone for your advice and posts. I suppose I see the qabalah, astrology and even alchemy as different layers of the same thing, they can all be mapped onto the tree of life and thus accommodated by qabalah. Closrapexa thanks for the link to your essays I shall look at them now. I bought all these books a while ago and think I swamped myself full of info so I understand what you mean by losing interest but in a way it was good because it's given me a while to digest a lot of what I had read before. I already have a basic understanding of the qabalah and the steps of creation as reflected in the sephiroth, I will look at real astrology too.

Thanks again!!

The Wanderer

Zephyros

I enjoyed reading your essays Part 1 and 2

I'm glad you liked them. Some of my views about things have changed over time, of course. I keep meaning to do one about the Majors but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

INIVEA

I'm glad you liked them. Some of my views about things have changed over time, of course. I keep meaning to do one about the Majors but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

It's a natural course on our Tarot Journey that our views change, in what ever direction these views go. We either develop more in certain areas that intrigue our senses, we tend to put most of our focus, attention and energies into those areas. Leaving the other areas that less interest us on the back burner.

That is what make the Thoth so unique, so many areas you can go to explore and find what interests you the more. I personally not interested in geometrics or the I-ching and a couple other areas, so these areas are less developed in me.

When your ready and get that spark to do the Majors, you will, if not, no worres. :)