Best Thoth Deck edition to get in and oop?

MagsStardustBlack

Which edition would you say is the best on the market? Or if oop which is the best edition to look out for on eBay?

Thank you 😘

feynrir

I look forward to the answers to this myself! :D

Do you know what size Thoth deck you'd like, OP? That might narrow it down.

I personally like the regular-old purple box Thoth--the "small," but not "pocket Swiss," size. Any AGMuller printing is lovely for me.

I only have that and the modern Green box copy (NOT a Greenie; just any old modern large size deck), but I will say that these work beautifully for me. I hope you find your ideal copy :)

Le Fanu

Forget the varying saturations, say I who has been on an eternal search and bought various copies of the same editions and found different levels of colour richness (my yardsticks are the Magus & Knight of Cups cards - how blue are they?) I mean, saturation and richness of colour is all very subjective. I have lost track of how many of the large and medium ones I have bought.

But I cannot help but be rather attached to a purple box, 3-Magus standard sized (not large, not pocket) I bought circa 2010 which has lovely colours, lovely cardstock. Luckily I ordered 3 copies and they all have the same tonality. I ordered a couple more two years ago and the cardstock was flimsier and the colours were lovely but not incredibly lovely.

I also have a soft spot for a large 3-Magus 1986 AG Muller one which I bought from an amazon seller and really never expected to get one of that vintage. The blues are gorgeous but I only have one copy and (oh the shame) I find it hard to regularly use decks I only have one copy of.

Of the OOP ones, I love (and I know gregory doesn't) the pocket Urania/Konigsfurt gold box German titles one which disappeared off the market rather mysteriously. Such exquisite, pastel colours - all the delicate gradations and subtle watercolour washes of Frieda Harris' art. Not at all saturated but I just love it.

Those are my votes.

Oh and there are more but I'll shut up.

Zephyros

Of the OOP ones, I love (and I know gregory doesn't) the pocket Urania/Konigsfurt gold box German titles one which disappeared off the market rather mysteriously. Such exquisite, pastel colours - all the delicate gradations and subtle watercolour washes of Frieda Harris' art. Not at all saturated but I just love it.

It did?? Is this the new "laser printed" fancy schmancy one, OTO approved and all? That's a shame, I was debating with myself whether to get it despite the German titles. After so many years of it being in the works, I wonder what happened.

Darkmage

The only versions I have are the 80s white box greenie and the purple box edition with three Magus cards. I scored both used--one ran me $9 and the other less than $3.

I'd try to scare up the one with three Magus cards if I were you. I really like it, though I haven't used it much. This is one deck that's grown on me. When I first saw it, I didn't care for it much, but now I like to just look at a lot of the cards.

Look around. You can find a new edition for a very reasonable price. If there are used bookstores in your area, check there, too. They pop up fairly regularly. If not, check places like Amazon and Book Depository.

MagsStardustBlack

I look forward to the answers to this myself! :D

Do you know what size Thoth deck you'd like, OP? That might narrow it down.

I have absolutely no idea, this will be my first experience of Thoth. I just know I have read old threads where people have been disappointed with colouring.

I personally like the regular-old purple box Thoth--the "small," but not "pocket Swiss," size. Any AGMuller printing is lovely for me.

I only have that and the modern Green box copy (NOT a Greenie; just any old modern large size deck), but I will say that these work beautifully for me. I hope you find your ideal copy :)

Again I am unaware of these issues, I literally need a lesson in Thoth of every known deck listed and rated 'yellow =okay, green =good and red=bad. That's how new I am I'm afraid.

Thank you. I may end up taking a but if a risk on it and hopefully order a decent deck.

I don't want one too big for my hands to shuffle I know that much. And I dont like muddy colours. So hoping for great card stock, lovely colours and nice size.

gregory

I also have a soft spot for a large 3-Magus 1986 AG Muller one which I bought from an amazon seller and really never expected to get one of that vintage. The blues are gorgeous but I only have one copy and (oh the shame) I find it hard to regularly use decks I only have one copy of.
Me too - it is my favourite - and the standard size one I got around the same time has the same stunning colouring.
Indeed gregory doesn't. I mean - it's beautifully turned out and high quality and all that - but it's just so PALE ! I suspect a copyright fight again, sadly. But you can get it from the Konigsfurt /Urania site:

Here

Actually, armed with the ISBN - 9783868265040 - I did also pull it up on amazon.

It did?? Is this the new "laser printed" fancy schmancy one, OTO approved and all? That's a shame, I was debating with myself whether to get it despite the German titles. After so many years of it being in the works, I wonder what happened.
You CAN still get it, clos :) See above. Now that I have looked I don't know why Leffy says it disappeared... I had heard this but never bothered to check.

I have absolutely no idea, this will be my first experience of Thoth. I just know I have read old threads where people have been disappointed with colouring.
Every print of everything out there varies. I have even bought two copies of postcards on the same day in the same museum with startlingly different colourings. But I DO like my Foff BRIGHT ! :D

Again I am unaware of these issues, I literally need a lesson in Thoth of every known deck listed and rated 'yellow =okay, green =good and red=bad. That's how new I am I'm afraid.

Thank you. I may end up taking a but if a risk on it and hopefully order a decent deck.

I don't want one too big for my hands to shuffle I know that much. And I dont like muddy colours. So hoping for great card stock, lovely colours and nice size.
You'll get a nice one, don't worry - though beware of the older borderless-backs ones - their colouring is very patchy.

But one thing to think on - sure, the full size is big. But once you have a smaller one, you will only want a bigger one, to see it better. ALSO - there is the projective geometry - I actually bought a midsize one specially and trimmed it it (something I NEVER do) so that I could see that properly without the borders getting in the way ! I still don't understand all that - but it LOOKS lovely and is fun to play with.

If you get an old print (borderlessbacks) - DON'T trim that. Someone here discovered the hard way that the images are NOT all the same size, and she ended up with a "lumpy" deck... :D

MagsStardustBlack

My gosh I just asked my mum to bid on eBay for me and I got the whole ' Crowley was evil, a Satanist, summoned demons, practiced black arts and you shouldn't bring that deck into a shared home' rant. My goodness, I tried to say you know other people feel differently, failed on that then tried to reason but failed there too.

Thank goodness I am a grown woman and dont have to listen to my mum! Although her help bidding would have been helpful as I am useless at it. And she has won me other Tarots.

Alas I will give it a bash. Seen what appears to be a 1976 edition, green writing, white box so fingers crossed.

smw

My gosh I just asked my mum to bid on eBay for me and I got the whole ' Crowley was evil, a Satanist, summoned demons, practiced black arts and you shouldn't bring that deck into a shared home' rant. My goodness, I tried to say you know other people feel differently, failed on that then tried to reason but failed there too

My mum wasn't too keen either at first. She then complained of dropping off to sleep and having a Devil's face with two long curly horns suddenly appear close up to her face giving her a fright :laugh:

She is ok with it now though :) Hope your mum comes round. We did talk about how he seemed infamous at the time, very sensationalist press etc.

MagsStardustBlack

My mum wasn't too keen either at first. She then complained of dropping off to sleep and having a Devil's face with two long curly horns suddenly appear close up to her face giving her a fright [emoji23]

She is ok with it now though :) Hope your mum comes round. We did talk about how he seemed infamous at the time, very sensationalist press etc.
Ah well my mum may never change her thoughts on it.

She is from Foyers and grew up next door to Boleskin. There is no hope I'm sure. Thankfully she doesn't live with me 😁