Vision Quest - Thoth based deck

DesertDream

DD, why in the world do you keep insisting that you never said that AC was the artist of the Thoth deck? No one has ever suggested that you thought otherwise.

If you want to read VQ like the Thoth, then read it like the Thoth. Apparently you are asking for help in this endeavor. However, this would entail studying the Thoth, which you don't want to do because you don't like AC.

Would you please state clearly what you want us to do with regard to your reading the VQ? If I suggest studying Eshelman's Liber T, I get a strong feeling that this will not be acceptable.

What the Sam Hill is going on in this confusing thread? Everything keeps going around in circles. I give up. If others enjoy playing this game, so be it. I'm out of it, unless it acquires some sort of meaningful direction.

I dont think i keep adamantly insisting it, i just think a reader misunderstood my post. I think ive stated clearly my questions in the first post. I was hoping the direction of the post answered going about the thoth based deck VQ. Because i see no other tradition it can relate to but thoth since it does not go with rider or marsailes deck i have seen. If you know of a tradition its based on other than thoth id be glad to look into it because i have not found anything else comparable.

Zephyros

I wonder, what does the LWB say about it? I know there are several Thoth-inspired decks with varying degrees of faithfulness to the source, but it is rare enough of a model for deck artists who use it to explain why they did so and what that means for the deck in question.

DesertDream

It's unlikely that we will come to agree about Crowley and his master piece. I still can't see the VQ as a "Thoth deck", but I, for one, am willing to drop that question. You want to read with it Thoth style, and you are inquiring into how to do that. Alright.

Now the Thoth is based strongly on astrology. More specifically, the astrology of the decans. I do include that information in my readings to a certain degree, although there are Thoth readers who don't pay much attention to it. Does whatever literature you have on the VQ support astrological attributions?

Others emphasize the kabbalistic side in their practical work with the Thoth. Again, what can be learned from the VQ and its literature regarding this?

Further, are the divinatory meanings of the VQ cards as given in the LWB and perhaps other sources similar to those of the Thoth cards?

I agree that the thoth deck is brilliant and beautiful. And im considering VQ a thoth inspired deck because after searching many of the thoth images i see that VQ uses the same image but drawn with a theme to them. But if you know of another system it takes after ill be glad to look into it.

The lwb to VQ is all there is but im assuming can be read with thoth because its drawn only different with theme. So im guessing the same stuff like the decans can apply? Im assuming the cards apply to kabbalah as well since they are all similar images. Im not sure if the meanings are the the same i have yet to look into thoth interpritations. Do you have a link to the meanings?

DesertDream

I wonder, what does the LWB say about it? I know there are several Thoth-inspired decks with varying degrees of faithfulness to the source, but it is rare enough of a model for deck artists who use it to explain why they did so and what that means for the deck in question.

I would need a good link with the meanings to know. Do you know of one?

DesertDream

Quite. I pointed out that the artwork was Frieda's merely to show that avoiding one "Thoth" deck and running with another would be just as CROWLEY, and if you are prepared to run with another based on his teachings, why not the Thoth itself, as it was no more CREATED by him than any other allegedly Thoth deck.

Well first id like to know how it works and also id prefer the VQ to thoth like id prefer golden tarot to a rider.

If you know of other system that VQ can relate too id be glad to look into it. But image wise it looks like thoth with a theme to it.

Since the images are quite similar i dont know of another tradition. If you do please feel free.

Its not the system or that puts me off im interested in the format.

Richard

I would need a good link with the meanings to know. Do you know of one?

Something like this?

Of course, the best book on the card meanings is The Book of Thoth by The Master Therion (Aleister Crowley), but you don't like him.

DesertDream

Something like this?

Of course, the best book on the card meanings is The Book of Thoth by The Master Therion (Aleister Crowley), but you don't like him.

I ment an internet link? I just want to compare the lwb before purchasing a book if possible. I dont like his actions, no. But card interpritations i wouldnt mind looking into. There is some people whos work i enjoy but not their actions. And id rather stick with VQ.

gregory

The only ACCURATE online resource would be the Book of Thoth. Which is actually BY Crowley, so I guess you won't find it acceptable.

You can stick with VQ all you like - but it won't give you the full Thoth understanding, by any means.

ETA I just looked at the card images and the reviews on this site, and I have no idea why it even says it is "Thoth-inspired". I shall have to get it out tomorrow and take a closer look.

DesertDream

The only ACCURATE online resource would be the Book of Thoth. Which is actually BY Crowley, so I guess you won't find it acceptable.

You can stick with VQ all you like - but it won't give you the full Thoth understanding, by any means.

Is it somewhere on a website i can look at? I have rider inspired decks that dont give me the full golden dawn symbology, but they still help me plenty. I can remember it in my head, once i get familier. Even if its just the gist of a card id probley at least get the basics.

DesertDream

If you have the deck i can go through and post which card titles i am refering to in the minor arcana.
Or compare them side by side with your own deck.