Vision Quest - Thoth based deck

gregory

The LWB seems fine to me - but totally not Thothy.

Enjoy doing your thing with it. I doubt if this thread has really got you anywhere at all.

ravenest

Reading Thoth is not merely a matter of using certain astrological and Qabalistic associations. Understanding the deck (as it was intended to be understood) involves a great deal of other material, such as alchemy and Egyptian mythology. Moreover, Thoth is much more than the sum of its Qabalistic, astrological, alchemical, and mythological associations. Everything is brought together into a consistent and cohesive unit by its Thelemic perspective.

Wonderful explanation of how it works !

Gather up all the threads of knowledge and experience into a cohesive unit by Thelemic perspective.

:thumbsup:

The thing is , to nut this out, and give the answer the OP wants ( ;) ) we first have to realise how the OP comprehends the Thoth deck. It may well be possible to put THAT perspective onto the VQ deck .

(which I eventually had to look at ... whaaaat ! Nothing like the Thoth and the keywords were different on the cards I saw, whoever wrote that review was ...... bad at writing reviews ... and didnt know their subject ! )

The only sense I can make of it seems to be ... at a guess ... the OP wants to know the basic astrology, suit meanings and number meanings ( from the ToL ??? ) and apply them ... and the whole 'Thoth/Thelema' thing is a 'misinterpretation' or a miss-labelling brought about by the review and unfamiliarity with the Thoth deck.

One coukld just forget that review comment, or see it as mistaken ... and move on ?

However, many people "read" Thoth without alluding to its unique construction.
There are even books that explain how to "read" Thoth without particular reference to its intended thrust.

Sure, one could use either deck ... or any deck however one wanted - seems like a bit of a fuss ?

Anyhow, as closrapexa has made abundantly clear, the only way to correctly read Thoth is to understand the Thoth deck itself, not some other deck which uses some of the same "keywords." What you are trying to do with the VQ is like trying to make fish taste like hamburger. Go ahead and use and enjoy the VQ, but don't try to make of it something that it isn't.

I'll third that !

DesertDream

Yes thats why i wanted to expand beyond it. I learned that i answered my own question today so thats a plus :thumbsup:

Michael Sternbach

Thoth readings are far less common than readings with i.e. the RWS. Many a Thothie seems to be quite satisfied just theorizing about the deck. Well, to each their own. I, for one, use it almost exclusively when reading (and if not the Thoth, then mostly the Liber T). If you like, you can find a number of examples on my exchange thread:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=233120&highlight=thoth