Baphomet

Aeon418

This article caught my attention while drinking my morning coffee. Strictly speaking it's got nothing to do with Tarot, but it may be of general interest to Thoth-ers. The symbolism of the Baphomet is the inspiration behind a couple of the cards in the Thoth deck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33682878

If I could scrape together £64,000, I reckon one of those would look nice in my garden. }) :laugh:

Zephyros

It's interesting that between the lines you can read hints of Thelemic ideas, Crowley's influence on LaVey, no doubt.

Aeon418

That's what I thought too. Kind of Thelema-lite. Although on their website they try to distance themselves from LeVay. Obviously these guys represent a different flavour of Satanism.

Abrac

As if Detroit didn't already have enough problems.

Tanga

That's a beautiful statue - but Baphomet is somewhat defeminized here.
No longer a true hermaphrodite - heh.
Hmn.

That's my complaint.
:) :joke:

Zephyros

That's a beautiful statue - but Baphomet is somewhat defeminized here.
No longer a true hermaphrodite - heh.
Hmn.

That's my complaint.
:) :joke:

I guess you can worship Satan our Master, Adversary, Destroyer of Kings, Angel of the Bottomless Pit, Great Beast that is called Dragon, Prince of This World, Father of Lies, Spawn of Satan and Lord of Darkness... but only if he's "normal."

Babalon Jones

I would have left the breasts and left off the little kiddos. Don't know why but I hate statues of kids! Just screams cheesy. Would have rather had a plain old goat headed hermaphrodite. :)

INIVEA

Oh this is fabulous, lovely statue, regardless of not having breasts. Wow. Even if this groups strays slightly from Thelema, they still are follow the doctrines.

Did anyone think that maybe they are Thelemites but re representing it in to the world in a gentler way, then crowly did.

Maybe O.T.O. should have one made too, with breast, cheeky me for saying that.

Aeon418

I would have left the breasts and left off the little kiddos. Don't know why but I hate statues of kids! Just screams cheesy. Would have rather had a plain old goat headed hermaphrodite. :)
Maybe the statue is intended to be sat on? That's what appears to be happening in one of the pictures.

In that case the kids heads might make great armrests. And it might also explain the lack of boobs. Sitting on Baphomet's lap is probably uncomfortable enough already without a set of nipples jabbing you in the back. :eek: