How much of a blasphemy is it to read with reversals?

JackofWands

I've just (finally) got my hands on a Thoth deck. I've been waiting for years, and I can't wait to start working with it. But before I do, I have a question for hardened Thothies.

I read with reversals. Always have, even with many decks that are not designed to be read as such. But I know that reversals don't factor into the Thoth system. With other decks, which are derived more from the RWS tradition, I have no problem overwriting the deck creators' aversion to reversals and using the decks my way, but Thoth is different. The Thoth system is so self-contained, and is really nothing like the RWS.

So here's my question: In your opinion, is it problematic to use reversals with the Thoth deck? Do you feel like it detracts from a reader's ability to experience the deck as it was meant? I'm not asking an abstract question about reversals and reading styles in general, so much as the specific instance of using reversals with this deck.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Zephyros

With the Thoth, I feel it is important to honor its inherent structure and symbolism when reading with it. To say it is special is an understatement, and it is doing it a dishonor to ignore those things as so many people do. Merely the study of it adds to one's life, and it challenges you in ever way.

That being said, I also believe that anything you add to what is already there can only enrich your use of it and make it more "your" deck. Everybody "creates" their own Thoth because of its message of freedom and personal Will, and just as with anything else, the experience is everything. So go ahead, explore, you'll be exploring yourself in the process.

I just don't know how it would be done, though. For me the Thoth speaks in abstractions, ideas that are translated into real-world concepts. The Book of Thoth itself doesn't deal much in down to earth stuff, but stresses understanding of the motivations of the card, its machinery, its place in the whole.

Michael Sternbach

I don't use reversals, but I don't see why you couldn't. After all, you need to work out what the cards mean for you anyway. Off the top of my head, the only Thoth specific book that discusses reversals is P. C. Tarantino: Tarot for the New Aeon.

The Happy Squirrel

I am a baby come to Thoth but I can't see how you could. It is like turning a novel upside down and expect to read a different story isn't it?

HOLMES

as a person who uses reversals

I do use it with the thoth, however that being said,, I never studied it in depth besides buying the lon milo book for it, so I never been one for the kabbalah, astrology aspect of it.
it works good for me using reversals.

Aeon418

But I know that reversals don't factor into the Thoth system.
Sort of. The Opening of the Key spread, which Crowley was familiar with via the Golden Dawn, does use reversed cards. But the fact that any card might be reversed has no bearing on it's interpretation. It just effects card counting based on the direction of certain face cards.

I've never seen any evidence that Crowley interpreted reversed cards any differently to upright cards. Personally I don't use reversals as I feel it ties my hands and artificially forces a particular interpretive direction on individual cards.
But can you read with the Thoth deck and use reversals? That's entirely up to you.

The Thoth Companion by Michael Osiris Snuffin gives upright and reversed meanings for each card.

Michael Sternbach

I am a baby come to Thoth but I can't see how you could. It is like turning a novel upside down and expect to read a different story isn't it?

Not really. Crowley gives positive and negative meanings for most Major Arcana in the appendix of the BoT. It is especially a matter of (elemental) dignity - see The Fool. Reversals could be another way to consider the polarity contained in every card. This is a general principle in Tarot, and the Thoth is no exception.

That being said, again, personally I don't find it necessary to use them, but feel free to experiment and find out what works best for you.

Zephyros

Of course there's also the practical question of the deck's non-reversible backs.

HOLMES

That is true

After shuffling for a couple years , i no longer pay attention to the back of the cards for that reason.I don't want to be influenced by saying to my self, too many reversed.

smw

I do use reversals at the moment with the Thoth, though that may change when I understand the deck better, how the cards relate to each other etc.