Tarot of Ceremonial Magick Study Group: The Fool

foolMoon

I am looking at the all major cards starting with The Fool card. First of all I would like to discuss the card in following aspects.

1. Symbolism from the art comparing with Thoth deck
2. 2 of the sigils on the card

What do you think of the image? Is it too simple or crude? Comparing to the Fool card of Thoth deck or other Thothy / GD deck, it could be. But still would you not say that it works as a good image which triggers a lot of thoughts and symbolism from the Fool card?

I think there is a considerable write up about the Fool card in Book of Thoth. But I have not read it yet. I will go and read it first to learn about what Crowley meant the Fool card to be in his Thoth deck. In contrast there is very little written about the Fool card of the TOCM in DuQuette's book.

What are your thoughts on the image? I will be thinking about it, and will update here too as they come up in the mind too.

I believe the 2 of the sigils on each major cards are from Crowley's work according to the book, but it does not mention about their meanings, and how it is relevant with the Fool card. These sigils are unique to this deck, I believe. It would be interesting to see, if they are truly meaningful, and add richer and yet deeper association to the system, or are they just visual decoration which might hinder the readings. Let's find out.

panpiper

The Sigils displayed on Majors are from Liber 231 a mostly graphical Class A book which consists of two parts:

Liber XXII Domarum Mercurii cum suis Genii (The book of the 22 houses of mercury with their geniuses) and

Liber XXII Carcerorum Carcerorum Qliphoth cum suis Genii (The book of the 22 cells of the qliphoth with their geniuses)

I've attached it

Attachments

• 231.gif
    231.gif
    67.4 KB · Views: 845

Abrac

DuQuette seems to combine imagery from the RWS Fool with the Thoth. In the RWS the Fool carries a wand and is about to leap, but both feet are on the ground. In the Thoth, both feet are in midair. The TOCM seems to draw from both ideas.

0. Fool

foolMoon

Interesting point, Abrac. The dominant yellow colour of the background as well, seems radiating strong rws atmosphere. But there are differences too. Like, the Fool here is heading opposite direction from the rws Fool. Could there be any significance in that? Thoth Fool faces right to the front. He is stationery, not going anywhere just looking out.

Also, here the dog or alligator is missing. He / she is alone. Is it he or she, I am not sure. Maybe it is supposed to be Hermaphrodite according to BOT. It seems also flying or jumping out, which depicts Air quality element of the card, and full of vibrant energy.

The facial expression is interesting. It looks either in trance or in very satisfied happy face like that of the Dyonisians. That's understandable. Thoth Fool's facial expression is, well, very uneasy and mysterious. Why could be?

Another thing noticed with tocm Fool is, it seems loaded with sexual symbolism such as his foot pointing to the air space, tightly held wand and the wreath on the head. BOT mentions about fertility and phallic symbols with the card, and points to the solar signs on his groin.

foolMoon

Anyhow, I was trying to understand why the Fool cards has to be linked with the sexual symbolism.

I will keep on reading Book of Thoth for that, will try to do some research in the Sigils, and also keep checking in here to see other opinions and ideas from the members.

Abrac

Normally, the path of Aleph and the Fool is on the right-hand side as seen in this diagram. DuQuette's Fool seems use this orientation. Waite is known to sometimes reverse the orientation so everything on the Tree is reversed. I'm not sure if this is the case with the RWS Fool though. but it seems to be.

smw

I'm on my way out- just wanted to mention a few initial thoughts.
My book hasn't arrived yet.

The Fool here does not seem the usual Fool. He seems to lack the carefree innocence of the more usual Fool with all options available including falling off the precipice or into the unknown. This Fool is showing the leap across a possible chasm with the skill and deliberation of a dancer. This always reminds me of discipline, balance, strength and adeptness. Hmm, like starting off on a journey already prepared. The staff is used also for balancing the leap, suggests to me a possible magical weapon of some kind.

(I am also thinking of the Thoth adjustment (justice) with this theme of balance, maybe something to do with harnessing or balancing elements. I think I recall Aleph the letter of the Fool meaning Ox and Lamed of adjustment meaning Ox goad.

Samweiss

DuQuette seems to combine imagery from the RWS Fool with the Thoth. In the RWS the Fool carries a wand and is about to leap, but both feet are on the ground. In the Thoth, both feet are in midair. The TOCM seems to draw from both ideas.

0. Fool

Another similarity is the white sun that is usually a symbol for Kether. Note that The Fool is moving away from it. Like in RWS, The Fool is preparing to descent from the cliff, in Thoth this is depicted as Fool emerging from the three concentric rings (Ain Soph?).

foolMoon

Normally, the path of Aleph and the Fool is on the right-hand side as seen in this diagram. DuQuette's Fool seems use this orientation. Waite is known to sometimes reverse the orientation so everything on the Tree is reversed. I'm not sure if this is the case with the RWS Fool though. but it seems to be.

Would it be the direction of the Hebrew is written? For YHVH in Hebrew, it is written from right to left like HVHY.

In RWS, the Fool is heading towards H (Earth) from Y(Fire). It is how all things emanates from the Supernal source into Malkuth.

In TOCM, the Fool heads from Malkuth H towards The Supernal source Y. It wants to connect to the divine creator, who created and emanated the Fool.

DuQuette's definition on the Fool in his book "The Way of the Secret Lover" seems implying it.

The purest impulse toward Union between the Macrocosm and Microcosm.
Idea, thought, spirituality, that which endeavors to rise above material.
pp.77