Unicursal Hexagram

brujablanca

I still have a lot to learn about the Thoth. I have a couple of reference books and I've been looking at some websites for further information. I was wondering what thoughts are out there about the Unicursal Hexagram.

I thought it was just an extra card at first <blushing>; now I read different views. I would appreciate any insight and/or opinions.

Blessings to you all,

Bruja

BlueLeaf

I've never actually used the hexigram card when I do readings. It was included simply to "round out" the printed sheet to an even 80 cards. I don't even think all editions of the deck includes the hexigram card.

Some people do read with it though. A friend of mine uses it as a "wild card" in situations where something is obscured or blocked. I've heard of other people equating it with the blank "wyrd" rune - but I know very little about runes and couldn't go into great detail on that use.

Personally - 78 cards is plenty for me. I can't imagine using an extra card with very limited meaning that wasn't even "really meant" to be in the deck to begin with. This page has some interesting opinions on the card and it's uses however:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/2110/ Personally though I would no more read with it than I would with all three magician cards.

thinbuddha

Personally, I don't use it either. It doesn't have any significance for me, but it certainly has a lot of meaning for some people. People use it differently- some seem to have it represent a magical element coming into play, though I've never been too sure how this is any different from how a major card would be interpreted (except that the nature of the "magic" or outside force isn't known).

Check this thread for more opinions:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=48911&page=1&pp=10

(discussion starts at the 8th posting)

Sinner

Theres nothing wrong with mistaking it for an ordinary card, its quite mysterious in itself, but if you've never seen it before then it could be confusing.
The interpretation may differ from person to person, depending on what you feel the card represtnts, or it might be easier to read up on the reasoning behind the extra card
I liked the look of it though, and personally, I use it as a second Death card :)

catlin

Hi there,
I also don't use this extra card, partly because I am pretty ticked off to find it together with another extra card from the O.T.O stating why to use this card and not the two other magi cards (heck, I am grown up, I can decide for myself what cards I want to use!!) - at least in the AGMüller Thoth edition and partly because this card looks like an intruder in the Crowley deck - the Unicursal Hexagramm looks just boring and artless (IMO)

thinbuddha

catlin said:
Hi there,
I also don't use this extra card, partly because I am pretty ticked off to find it together with another extra card from the O.T.O stating why to use this card and not the two other magi cards......<snip>(IMO)

I'd be ticked off too! Actually I am ticked off, but my (english) edition doesn't say why I shouldn't use the other Magus cards..... Just out of curiosity,why to they say that you should use UH card? Why not other Magus cards?

Lillie

Yeah, It just came with my deck. Nothing about it at all (no 3 magi either)

So, what does the all seeing, all knowing OTO have to say about it?

PS. I use it. Always.

catlin

Well, apart from the UH card there is a card of the OTO included in the newer AGMüller Thoth editions stating that the 2 other magis are not authorized by A. Crowley so they are no longer included in the deck. The UH however, shall lead to deeper insight (IMO this is just esoterical blahblah).

I have to check if I still have a Crowley with the UH and the OTO card so I can quote it correcly.

Lillie

That's different to my OTO card.

Mine is a 'green' US games edition, with the red and black hex.

The OTO card says a load of stuff, but nothing about the hex card. (or the magi either. (but of course they were never part of this edition.

I heard that anyone publishing this deck has to hae the OK from the OTO, who own it, and that they can be right fussy about it.
So I guess if they say no the the magi, no it is!

So, people, get the three magi before they become collectable and rare!

One Armed Scissor

Why should you use it?

Cause I didn't get a card saying why to use it in my deck.
I always left it in though, has only come up in a reading once, it was weird but the friend i was doing the reading for new exactly what it meant in regards to his question and what not.

Lately though, it comes up constantly in my self readings. Usually as an outcome, or what to do position.

So nowI'm trying to figure it out.

Mine's the rainbow colored hexagram by the way.